Mobil 1 5w30 ESP vs 0w40 ESP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patman

Staff member
So as some of you know, there is a new dexos2 certified 0w40 Mobil 1 which is now the factory fill in 2019 Corvettes, and is backwards compatible to any prior Corvette engines that require a dexos certified oil. As I have mentioned in a couple of different threads now, it causes me to be interested in a couple of other dexos2 oils, but one in particular is Mobil 1's 5w30 ESP. And in looking at all of the technical data, it looks on paper like the 5w30 ESP might be a better choice than the 0w40 ESP.

For instance, the HTHS of the 5w30 is higher (3.58 vs 3.53) Sulfated ash on the 5w30 is listed at 0.6, the 0w40 is listed as 0.8. And the flashpoint of the 5w30 is also higher, at 254C vs 234C for the 0w40.

So if it turns out I can use the 5w30 ESP and retain my warranty, which of these two oils would you choose?

Here is more info on both of these oils:

0W-40. That is what I will be using the next oil change in my 2.7 Ford pick up.A wee bit thicker to help with any fuel dilution ets and not a whole lot thicker to cause higher than necessary pumping losses.

I'm also considering using the 5w30 ESP for my next oil change since I can buy it up here an Canadian Tire, and the 0w40 ESP won't be available in stores until probably the end of summer or early fall.

The only downside I see to the 5W30 ESP (assuming extreme cold performance is not critical) is that it has a low starting TBN due to being a very low SAPS oil, so it is not at all suited for longer OCIs except on very low sulfur fuel. Patman, do you know what the sulfur levels are for the gas you get in Canada?
The small HTHS advantage of the 5W30 could be an argument for it being even better than the 0W40 ESP for a very high performance application.

M1 5W30 ESP was one of my choices before dexos1 Gen 2 oils came out, VOAs suggested to me that it should help mitigate LSPI and I liked the low SAPS, low NOACK loss, and high HTHS. I did notice that my car ran a bit hotter on it because it was thicker at temp than what I had been using and gas mileage may have suffered a bit, but not dramatically. I'd be OK with running it now, but prefer an oil that has actually been tested for LSPI performance and this stuff is quite expensive in the USA!

Last edited:
You can probably use any dexos2 with no problems
smile.gif

Is this move to 0w40/dexos2 for all Corvettes from 2019-on, or just the special variants like the Z06 and ZR1? Remember, even the previous supercharged C6 ZR1 still called for 5w30 dexos1. I see the XOM recommendation to back-spec the 0w40 to all corvettes since the dexos program first started, but honestly, that might not be a good idea for the way most Corvettes are actually driven. And the ones that actually do use some of the Corvette's performance capabilities have probably already been using 0w40, albeit not the ESP version.

There are a few dexos 2 5w30 oils available, such as PP Euro L at Walmart for about $25/jug, Valvoline's MST 5w30 at Napa for about $9/qt, and I believe Amazon has a Castrol dexos2 5w30 as well. Along with the M1 ESP 5w30 mentioned in the OP.

Remember that Pep Boys does charge extra for the ESP in their M1 oil change specials with the 5qt and filter.

Valvoline's Synpower MST 5w40 is more widely available, and the same price as other Synpower grades. So this would probably be my choice for a Corvette requiring dexos2. (For the Cruze diesel which also takes dexos2, I'd be inclined to use a 5w30 for better fuel economy)

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
The only downside I see to the 5W30 ESP (assuming extreme cold performance is not critical) is that it has a low starting TBN due to being a very low SAPS oil, so it is not at all suited for longer OCIs except on very low sulfur fuel. Patman, do you know what the sulfur levels are for the gas you get in Canada?

Here is a link with some info as to the sulfur levels in our gasoline:

https://www.canada.ca/en/environment-cli...r-gasoline.html

I'm not concerned about the TBN since I won't be doing long OCIs, probably the highest the OLM would ever let me go would be 7-8k.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

Is this move to 0w40/dexos2 for all Corvettes from 2019-on, or just the special variants like the Z06 and ZR1?

All versions of the Corvette are now factory filled with this oil.

Quote:

There are a few dexos 2 5w30 oils available, such as PP Euro L at Walmart for about $25/jug

I have also considered the PP Euro L 5w30 too, I read on here that it might have an HTHS as high as 3.68.

I don't want to poke into the Russian Oil Club's VOA of M1 5W30 ESP right now (and it's by far the best VOA I've seen for that oil), but it looks like the 0W40 mentioned above would have a higher ZDDP level than the 5W30. Might be of some importance given that this 0W40 seems to be crafted for this particular Corvette/high output GM application, maybe it's a don't care...

Intresting... acea c3 oil in a corvette. Like to see a uoa with this oil in a corvette. FS version over this oil anytime.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Sounds like picking nits to me.

Where would BITOG be without endless overanalysis of oils?
;^)

BHAEF = Bob Has An Empty Forum

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Patman, why isn't there any Ford/Lincoln/Mercury vehicles listed in the chart above? Are they from a different planet and don't require 0W40?
21.gif

I know this is targeted to Patman and not me, but do you mean the chart for the 0W40 or the 5W30 ESP?

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Patman, why isn't there any Ford/Lincoln/Mercury vehicles listed in the chart above? Are they from a different planet and don't require 0W40?

I can't think of any Lincoln or Mercury vehicles that would specifically call for a C3 type lube. Globally, I imagine there probably is a Motorcraft spec number of some sort for a C3 lube, but there wouldn't be many (any?) Ford vehicles that would have been sold by Ford in the American or Canadian markets that would call for that specification.

Ford has WSS-M2C937-A for the Focus RS, but that's an A3/B4 type lube (like Castrol 0w-40 A3/B4 or Mobil 1 0w-40 A3/B4) versus a C3 like in this thread.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Patman,
I'd use the 5W30 any day over the 0W40...

What's the main reason you'd choose the 5w30 ESP over the 0w40 ESP? For me the great thing is it's available right now, while the 0w40 has barely made into any Chevy dealers service bays just yet (despite the fact that it was promised to be widely available there by Feb 1) Definitely on paper it looks like the 5w30 is the better choice, but I'm curious if you know even more info about it Shannow? Is this oil popular down under?

Originally Posted By: Patman
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Patman,
I'd use the 5W30 any day over the 0W40...

What's the main reason you'd choose the 5w30 ESP over the 0w40 ESP? For me the great thing is it's available right now, while the 0w40 has barely made into any Chevy dealers service bays just yet (despite the fact that it was promised to be widely available there by Feb 1) Definitely on paper it looks like the 5w30 is the better choice, but I'm curious if you know even more info about it Shannow? Is this oil popular down under?

Off-hand, I'm thinking he's thinking less VII
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back