Mobil 1 5W30, 566 mi OCI, 22.1k mi, C7 Corvette Z06

All mileage is in kilometers not miles. Notes from oil slip: "This was the winter oil run. Just curious how well it did since it didn't get driven much. I'm guessing it was a waste of oil, but I need the higher viscosity for the track. Oil sample was taken from oil filter." The OLM was at about 86%. Previous fill was Mobil 1 15W50. Next fill is Mobil 1 15W50.

Additive package is very similar to Mobil 1 15W50. I'm not sure if it was the short OCI (900km) or the actual oil or my driving conditions for the high iron wear. I think next winter I'll run Mobil 1 FS 0W-40. See how that does.

3wpbsv1.png

Last edited:
911km? I've never taken a sample from the filter. The Fe wear is probably from the lack of use and more of a corrosive type of wear if I had to guess. I'm not a tribologist but that's my thinking.

The recommended oil for your Corvette (updated by GM) is Mobil 1 ESP 0W-40. It's a Low SAPS 0W-40, that's all it is. The Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 is the Full SAPS version. It's what I ran in my RAM 1500 HEMI 5.7 and it runs buttery smooth. The Mobil 1 15W-50 has even more ZDDP than the Mobil 1 FS. If you want a good compromise between all of these oils, run Mobil 1 FS X2 5W-50. You can find it Amazon and probably other places. I prefer Full SAPS motor oils, but that's just me :) If you think about it, 1100 ppm of Zinc is a lot better than 800 ppm which is what these thin ILSAC GF5/GF6A oils have in them. Pennzoil is the worse offenders, they have around 600 ppm of Zinc in theirs. Just my two cents.

The manual specifies Mobil 1 5W-30 as being acceptable for street use. So, I used it. For track use, it says to use the Mobil 1 15W-50, and since I reach some pretty high oil temperatures (270F) I stick with it instead of the Mobil 1 ESP 0W-40. My understanding is the Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 is not recommended because of the cats. However, I just switched to Kooks headers with mid pipe and their green cats, so I think running the Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 for winter should be fine. The reason I want to run that is that it's much cheaper at $2.5/qt vs like $8-9/qt. I think it can provide the same protection, so why get the more expensive oil?

I have a new OCI incoming in the next bit since I ran a short interval of M1 15W-50 and that one was even more concerning. They haven't analyzed the results yet so I just have the pure numbers. The driving for this one was street driving. It got dyno'ed a few times after a 15% overdrive pulley upgrade on the OEM supercharger, but one of the times we blew the main seal. We replaced it, and added a catch can along with a supercharger upgrade, exhaust upgrade, and a new tune. The sample was right before the new supercharger and exhaust but after the main seal blowing and pulley upgrade. It was all street driving, mostly highway except the dyno time. Any feedback appreciated (all in km again):

izjWBB0.png

Last edited:
Here's a repost of the this OCI. Note they got the order wrong so the next OCI is listed as the previous one. I'm reposting to be able to provide a comparison.

fF8PjeE.png

Here's a repost of the this OCI. Note they got the order wrong so the next OCI is listed as the previous one. I'm reposting to be able to provide a comparison.

fF8PjeE.png

So let me get this straight, your latest OCI is with 15W-50 at 1897 km in column number 4 from left to right? If that's the case and their comments are based on column number two from left to right, then not only is their mixup pretty bad, but their comments are worthless.

Your flashpoint dropped to 375F pretty fast, I'd hate see what that would look like in 5000 km. You have a fuel dilution issues and you need to address it asap. I suspect that your engine is running rich. I can't really comment on the wear metals because I am not very familiar with your engine, but there is some wear, I suspect it comes from the Dyno pulls and running the car a bit harder.

My comment about using Mobil 1 FS X2 5W-50 was based on the fact that it might be a slightly better oil than the 15W-50. It is a newer formulation as far as base oils are concerned. It might be easier to deal with for a daily driver. However, given that you're modifying your motor in an effort to get more power out of it, you probably should step up to Red Line. Mobil 1 makes excelent oils, I like them and Castrol, but I baby cars. For your situation, you might want to step up to something better suited for your application to better protect your investment. Red Line is not the only oil out there that I know of, there are others, but it would be a good start. Just my two cents.

I posted some additional details in my next OCI thread. That will provide a better context.

Blackstone's comments are actually chronologically correct but they entered them in the system in reverse since I sent them at the same time. However, they did the analysis on the oldest sample first and the next one afterwards.

Back