Mobil 1 5W30 5000 mi OCI 2006 Grand Prix GXP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
I have been using Mobil 1 in my Grand Prix and I am worried about the high level of sodium in my oil. I dont know if this is a trend with Mobil 1 or the engine in my car but I have no noticeable coolant in my oil and the level in the radiator is not dropping. I have switched to Pennzoil Platinum and hope to see the sodium drop. What do you all think?

oilreport2.jpg

Very peculiar about the sodium. Do you use any particular oil or gasoline additives? The oil looks to be in good physical shape according to the #'s. Interesting.

Hmm were you drinking gator juice while you took the sample? "Electralytes it's what engines crave!" sorry i had to refrence from idiocracy! Any who thanks bud for making a great post of a pontiac!

Speechless...3 consecutive ??? on the coolant/antifreeze level from B.S.
What's up with that?
Have you asked them for a definitive result since you've paid for it?

I asked them what I should do and why would sodium be high and Blackstone told me to get my cooling system pressure checked and if I am not losing any coolant then to not worry about the sodium. Then today I called the dealer and told them the situation and they have no idea what I am talking about.

I looked at some other oil reports on the site and one being a Trailblazer SS, that also has LS engine, and using Mobil 1 with high sodium followed by another report on the same vehicle with PP and that report showed average sodium.

I do not use oil or fuel additives either. During the last OCI the valve cover was removed and replaced under warranty but that should not make a difference.

Last edited:
Mobil 1 does not have sodium. The non-synthetic Mobil products do.

Dexcool would show potassium/sodium markers, not just sodium.

It's not coolant - potassium is next to nothing in all reports.

Mobil uses sodium as a detergent in their conventional oils, they may be using it in M1 now, too.

Wow - this one has me stumped. I agree with cchase - I have never seen sodium in Mobil's synthetics I also agree with addyguy - I doubt it's coolant.

Are you using an unusual brand of gasoline? Do you always get your gas from the same station? I am assuming you're not using any additives in the gas or oil...

No oil or fuel additives, I get gas at the same two Shell stations and always use 93. Now either Mobil has changed their formuals and added sodium or the dealer is not using Mobil 1 in my car. These oil reports are from when the dealer changed my oil because my car was under a oil consumption test. I had to have the oil changed at the dealer and I had to bring the car back every 1,000 miles or so for them to check the oil level and top off my oil. The dealer uses Mobil oils and I asked for Mobil 1 and was charged for Mobil 1 but there is really not a positive way to tell if they put Mobil 1 in my car. Also when the tech would top off my oil he could have just used regular Mobil to top it off.

Last edited:
I've done my fair share of UOAs on Mobil 1 - your results do resemble Mobil 1 with the exception of the Sodium. I wonder if you have correctly guessed the situation - they are topping it off with regular Mobil. If I recall, regular Mobil has Sodium levels in the ~300ppm range, so if they added a quart, this would be about right. However, the fact that your Sodium levels have been elevated for the past three consecutive UOAs still seems strange - could they have topped it off during all three intervals? That would seem unlikely.

Please get your oil changed at a place where you can bring your own oil, or do it yourself. I believe this will give you the answer. Remember we call them stealers and their motto is you have a moral obligation to take money from suckers..
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: dan_erickson
No oil or fuel additives, I get gas at the same two Shell stations and always use 93. Now either Mobil has changed their formuals and added sodium or the dealer is not using Mobil 1 in my car. These oil reports are from when the dealer changed my oil because my car was under a oil consumption test. I had to have the oil changed at the dealer and I had to bring the car back every 1,000 miles or so for them to check the oil level and top off my oil. The dealer uses Mobil oils and I asked for Mobil 1 and was charged for Mobil 1 but there is really not a positive way to tell if they put Mobil 1 in my car. Also when the tech would top off my oil he could have just used regular Mobil to top it off.

Hey Dan
What did they say about oil use-I've never heard of a 5.3 use that much oil. Wife's 5.3 in the Tahoe may go through 1/2 qt in 5K-and she's not easy on it either-cold engine and watch out-here we go!!

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back