Mobil 1 5w30, 13,362 miles, 4.7L Dodge Dakota

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Here's some testing done on this subject. http://www.swri.org/3pubs/IRD1999/03912699.htm

Thank you all for your excellent comments. I did think the article was interesting, but it would have been nice to see some actual data. The authors did mention, "Testing with partially stressed oil, which contained some wear debris, produced less wear than testing with clean oil." However, unless I'm missing something, this testing was over extremely short intervals when compared to 1000s of miles. The results could, but do not necessarily speak to wear rates at 8K versus 13K miles.

I currently have the same oil in, so it will be interesting to see the results at half the interval.

Yeah, with your data we don't know if the wear rate started to go back up later in your interval. It's good to see that the copper is down and the lead is zero which tells me that acids are not leaching the soft metals despite the high TAN.

On that note, I've put a penny in a certain virgin motor oil and heated it to about 320F for several hours and so much copper leached from the penny that I could actually see it floating due to its different color from the motor oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back