mobil 1 5w20 vs pennzoil platinum 5w20(2002 honda civic ex 5 speed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I need to change my oil right now, and I have been using mobil 1 5w20 with 0 complaints and 0 oil usuage for 45,000 miles(car has 55,000 on it right now). I can get a good deal on the pennzoil platinum at murrays since its on sale, but is it better than mobil 1 or comparable?

Also, is it a true synthetic or is it a group 3?

Thanks,

Aaron

[ May 05, 2006, 05:26 PM: Message edited by: HOndaGuy ]

I'm switching from Mobil-1 to Pennzoil Platinum because it's showing low wear rates similar to GC.... because Pennzoil/Shell runs better quart/case sales with Platinum than Mobil does.... because I'm hoping Platinum keeps the engine quieter than Mobil-1.

Another good reason to run PP is that they didn't give their departing CEO a severance package of close to a BILLION dollars. No wonder Mobil 1 doesn't run many sales.

Technically M1 0w20 and 5w20 are excellent formulas.

I like the construct of Pennzoil Platinum for good wear control. Longer drains have not been substantiated.

The rest of the reasons listed above are beyond tribology!

quote:

Originally posted by Terry:
Technically M1 0w20 and 5w20 are excellent formulas.

I like the construct of Pennzoil Platinum for good wear control. Longer drains have not been substantiated.

The rest of the reasons listed above are beyond tribology!

Terry, as far as the long drains go, I usually go 7500 miles or 6 months on my mobil 1 0w20, and it still looks clean as can be and performs nicely. Im assuming the pennzoil platinum can do the same?

I use to run Mobil-1 5w20 in my 2002 ford focus(59,000 miles)and due to the better price I tried the pennzoil platinum! Just to let you know, I never went back to the Mobil-1. The pennzoil platinum runs much quieter and soooo much smoother, I would recommend the platinum to anyone without a doubt!!! As far as drain intervals, I only do 5,000 miles, but have been told 7,000 is not a problem! A uoa will soon tell me!! Good luck! Just wanted to tell you my experience!!

Aaron, I do not see a problem. 7500 miles is well within warranty and design of any API syn as long as the engine is well maintained.

Do you you take at least annual oil analysis?

quote:

Originally posted by HOndaGuy:
Well, I need to change my oil right now, and I have been using mobil 1 5w20 with 0 complaints and 0 oil usuage for 45,000 miles(car has 55,000 on it right now). I can get a good deal on the pennzoil platinum at murrays since its on sale, but is it better than mobil 1 or comparable?

Also, is it a true synthetic or is it a group 3?

Thanks,

Aaron

I made the switch under similar circumstances and have noticed the engine is quieter and fuel mileage is slightly higher.

PP is a synthetic, but it is a Group V. Group V doesn't mean it is better than Group I, II, and III. It just means it doesn't fall into those groups, nor does it fall into group IV.

PP is a very good oil. You won't have problems using it for 7500 miles. Actually, you can probably use almost any SM, GF-4 rated 5-20 for 7500 miles, no matter what Group it is assigned to.

quote:

Originally posted by pbm:
Another good reason to run PP is that they didn't give their departing CEO a severance package of close to a BILLION dollars. No wonder Mobil 1 doesn't run many sales.

They don't run sales, you're right. I really don't care if they have any sales, actuall as I purchased all of my stash of M1 with the buy-3 get-3 free Pep Boys coupons last year.
grin.gif

I was looking at trying PP at my last oil change, and ended up going with M1 because it was cheaper than the PP. There was a mail in rebate on PP if you bought 6 quarts, but I only need 4 (actually about 3 and a half) and I didn't feel compelled to pay more than M1 up front. However, I've heard only good things about PP and wouldn't hesitate to run it over M1.

Well, looks like I am going to try out pennzoil platinum 5w20. It doesn't make sense for me to buy m1 0w20 when i can get the pp 5w20 for 3.97 vs 5.68 for m1 considering they are basically the same oil.

Now if walmart would just have it in stock
frown.gif
sinc e no one else carries it!!!!!!!!

quote:

Originally posted by HOndaGuy:
Well, looks like I am going to try out pennzoil platinum 5w20. It doesn't make sense for me to buy m1 0w20 when i can get the pp 5w20 for 3.97/qt vs 5.68/qt for m1 considering they are basically the same oil.

Now if walmart would just have it in stock
frown.gif
sinc e no one else carries it!!!!!!!!

Is the PP better than the M1 EP formula? Terry seems to think that the EP formula is pretty good stuff.

What happened to that UOA of PP 5W-30 that showed a very low TBN and high lead? Anyone know what I'm talking about?

I read it here, in BITOG, but, can't find the topic anymore.

honda guy: m1 or PP is about a wash. I went the other way to m1 from pp, but I may go back. seat of the pants observations: PP will get you slightly better mpg. PP runs a bit quiter at idle and seems to pull a bit smoother. Now m1 does not do a shabby job either. Your call, but from where I sit there isn't any significant difference in performace ( I change my oil at 6-7k miles). btw: the car i've done this in also happens to be an 02 civic ex 5spd.

cheers

r.

I am 3K miles into a 7500K mile run of 5w20 Platinum in my '05 Mazda3 2.3L I4. So far, I'm loving the Platinum. Car seems to run a tad quieter and definitely smoother. 7500K is the max I'll run it (per warranty). When I dump it, I'll be sure to send it into Blackstone for a UOA/TBN.

I'll be using 5w20 platinum in the Mazda for the forseeable future. I have over 60+ quarts of it thanks to Wally World instantly price-matching Pep Boy's rebate. I got each quart for $2.12 (including tax). I ended up SAVING more money than I spent vs. regular priced Platinum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back