Mobil 1 5w-50

Status
Not open for further replies.
When the new Mercedez-Benz SLR hits the US, will the factory fill 5w-50 be available at the dealerships?

I thought that oil was going to be OTC soon ?

No , not an April fools thing either
patriot.gif

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
When the new Mercedez-Benz SLR hits the US, will the factory fill 5w-50 be available at the dealerships?

It should be, and the dealership will probably be the only place you can get it. I doubt if Mobil will import this. It will probably be Mercedes who imports it and supplies it to the select few dealers that will be authorized to service this car.

Same sort of deal with the Ferrari Enzo and its required Helix Ultra 10w60. I don't think Shell is importing this particular grade of Helix Ultra. Ferrari is doing it, just like BMW brings over the Castrol 10w60 for the M3.

Hi Sprintman,

good one!!

Most Porsche 928 owners Worldwide don't know what viscosity M1 they use, and M1 is the most popular oil by far!

One 928 racer could not even tell me the viscosity he used when racing but complained that it would not hold pressure at idle after high ambient long distance racing

It turned out to be M1 10w-30 - no wonder!!

Regards
Doug Hillary - Fourex or VB?
cheers.gif

02 Subaru Outback 2.5 AWD (Delvac 1) @107kkms
98 BMW Z3 2.8 (Delvac 1) @55kkms
89 Porsche 928 S4 (Delvac 1) @125kkms

quote:

Originally posted by Doug Hillary:
Hi Buster,

the M1 5w-50 A3/B3 etc. is the best selling M1 product here in Australia and has been for many years!

Regards

Doug,
Would it be possible for you or some of the other board members "down under" to post a UOA of this oil from an LS1.

What's wrong with using the 0-40??

You'd think they'd go the other way...M-1 0-20! Don't they read the UOA on this message board? Sheeshh
pat.gif

What about all the VI's shearing and clogging the engine up? Ouch...
crushedcar.gif

grin.gif

On a serious note, the dealerships will probably use whatever they feel like. Not all use M-1 products anyway. Or even the correct ones.

Last year when I inquired at one M-B dealership, they guy tells me they use M-1 5-30 in all the cars. Another dealership brings out the Quaker State "Euro formula" 5-40 and tells me it's $16/qt.

This oil has a HT/HS of 4.2, which means it's definitely going to shear, obviously. I wonder if oils with huge viscosity ranges are boosted with cleaners for the shiite they leave behind? I'd use the 15w-50 over this oil personally. This car would be garage kept in the winter months up north so low temps would be of no concern.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
This oil has a HT/HS of 4.2, which means it's definitely going to shear, obviously.

How do you figure? Just because an oil has a high HTHS doesn't mean it's likely to shear by any means. Just look at Delvac 1 for instance.

True, and the same can be said of some other M1 oils. I guess with the 45pt spread, I find it hard that it won't.

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:
On a serious note, the dealerships will probably use whatever they feel like.

I wouldn't be too sure about this. This car is going to cost around a half-million dollars and rumor has it that DCX is vetting the US dealerships very closely. Only a handfull will be authorized to sell and service the SLR, and you can bet every fluid that the factory specifies for it will be stocked at those dealerships.

That's good to know since the Syntec 5-50 is 4.8 (SJ) and 4.5 (SL) by comparison...maybe it's slightly thinner to account for the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back