Mobil 1 5W-40 T-SUV discontinued?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cannot remember where I read it, but is Mobil 1 5W-40 T-SUV oil going to be discontinued? If so, that sucks because I just found it and it seems like a great oil!!!!!

I'll take a stab at this from my old Pennzoil marketing days.

The Mobil 1 T&SUV was originally destined for the diesel pick up market, but since it said T&SUV on it a lot of folks were using it in their good old gasoline trucks. I sure GM and others complained some since they recommend 5W30 in the gas motors. So now they have a T&SUV 5W30 and the M1 Turbo Diesel 5W40 for the diesels and the dihards that want to use it in gas engines. Bottom line, they did not do away with the beloved T&SUV 5W40 they just changed the name. Bottom line, bottom line, it's marketing, marketing, marketing.

You would think Wal-Mart would stock it but every brand is fighting for shelf space. It will be interesting to see who stocks the new product (label only).

In some other thread someone mentioned that Mobil told him the new M1 5W-40 T&SUV would be rolled out in April.

both new 5W30 and 5W40 T&SUV were at my local Wally last week. The price was up from the previous $20.17 to the same as EP at about $25.76

quote:

Originally posted by Johnny:
I'll take a stab at this from my old Pennzoil marketing days.

The Mobil 1 T&SUV was originally destined for the diesel pick up market, but since it said T&SUV on it a lot of folks were using it in their good old gasoline trucks. I sure GM and others complained some since they recommend 5W30 in the gas motors. So now they have a T&SUV 5W30 and the M1 Turbo Diesel 5W40 for the diesels and the dihards that want to use it in gas engines. Bottom line, they did not do away with the beloved T&SUV 5W40 they just changed the name. Bottom line, bottom line, it's marketing, marketing, marketing.

Johnny, I think you've hit the nail on the head!
cheers.gif

If it were Castrol that was using this "Truck & SUV" 5w-30 marketing gimmick, this forum would have a field day with them. But since it's the all mighty Mobil 1, there's not even a peap!

D Bone

Quote:
If it were Castrol that was using this "Truck & SUV" 5w-30 marketing gimmick, this forum would have a field day with them. But since it's the all mighty Mobil 1, there's not even a peap!

D Bone

Taking DriveClean 7500 and then just slapping a "Full Syn Truck & SUV" label would be what Castrol has done in the past.

our wm will only be stocking the T&SUV 5w-30... I looked at the shelving chart at our local store.

JMH

It has been reported that the new M1 5W-40 is hitting the shelves, someone has located it at their local Wal-Mart along with the new M1 T&SUV 5W-30

5W-40 is in production.

Disruptions caused by Hurrican Katrina last year and getting the upgrade to the Beaumont, Texas polyalphaolefin production fully operational caused some product delays and shortages.

Sure, over $27/gallon delivered ..even more at truck stops (usually) and even more from local distributors. AV Lubes did a banging job of selling it at a reasonable price before T&SUV hit Wally World.

If they do not return the 5w-40 dual rated oil to the $20.xx/gallon price range, then Rotella 5w-40 will continue to fill my shrine @ $14.xx/gallon. $0.40-$0.60/quart difference ..sure ...$2.50/quart difference ...no way. You can do another car for that amount of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back