Mobil 1 5W-40 SUV/Truck?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand that this M1 SUV/Truck formula is rumored to be rebottled Delvac 1. I've searched around the site, and can't find anything to confirm this. Does anyone know for sure if they are rebottling Delvac 1? Has anyone done, or is anyone in the process of having a VOA done on this stuff? Thanks in advance!

I'll go out on a limb and say it's not. Delvac is specifically made for Diesels to absorb higher amounts of soot, higher TBN's and a higher level of ZDDP. Not that it wouldn't be any good for this but its more suited to diesels.

I can't answer all your questions, but I can let you know that all of the certifications and qualifications on the back seem to be the same.

Although Mobil refuses to publish detailed specifications, if you go to the Mobil site and compare Delvac 1 to M1 T&S, the specifications appear to be exactly the same.

Jerry

Here in western Washington it's out now. I just want to make sure that it actually is Delvac 1 before I put it in my '95 Accord. Otherwise I've gotta drive a lot further and get it in gallon jugs. It's no fun filling with gallon jugs!

The product data sheet for M1 5W-40 Truck/SUV says "Mobil 1 Truck & SUV is a 5W-40 viscosity grade product and is recommended by ExxonMobil where 5W-30, 10W-30 and 15W-40 lubricants are specified. Consult your owner's manual for specific manufacturer recommendations which may be required for warranty protection." So I feel good about putting it in my motor that calls for 5W-30 or 10W-30.

quote:

Originally posted by Palut:
The product data sheet for M1 5W-40 Truck/SUV says "Mobil 1 Truck & SUV is a 5W-40 viscosity grade product and is recommended by ExxonMobil where 5W-30, 10W-30 and 15W-40 lubricants are specified. Consult your owner's manual for specific manufacturer recommendations which may be required for warranty protection." So I feel good about putting it in my motor that calls for 5W-30 or 10W-30.

Ditto.

ALthough Mobil appears to be covering their a** by stating to use the recommended oil for warranty - whatever that means - most motors benefit from a higher viscosity.

Widman had a post a while back in response to Toyota Synthetic oil recommendations, and in South America Toyota recommends using MUCH heavier viscosities, up to 20W-50, in the same motor sold here that recommends a 5W-30.

In all my older vehicles I ran Mobil Delvac 1 or Mobil 1 15W-50 with NO difference in fuel economy. I don't like ticktickticktick valvetrain noises and with M1 15W-50 or D1, those noises go away.

I like to put on at least 300,000km / 180,000mi hard use, and unless you have a dud motor (1990 Toyota 4Runner 3.0 V6 comes to mind) the D1 will easily allow that.

Jerry

quote:

Originally posted by Palut:
Here in western Washington it's out now. I just want to make sure that it actually is Delvac 1 before I put it in my '95 Accord. Otherwise I've gotta drive a lot further and get it in gallon jugs. It's no fun filling with gallon jugs!

What auto parts store has the SUV oil? Napa??

I found some "yellow caps" today at Checker for $4.99. Target, Walmart, Autozone, Pepboys either didn't have or didn't know it existed
rolleyes.gif

(Whoohoo! 400th post...Look out, Patman!
grin.gif
)

[ February 18, 2004, 06:36 PM: Message edited by: Toy4x4 ]

quote:

Originally posted by Nitrox:
Would it be cheaper to buy Delvac 1 somewhere?

No, and that is the weird part over the whole Mobil 1 T&S, as it appears to be rebadged Delvac 1.

I priced Delvac 1 in Minnesota at commercial Mobil distributors:

Gallon jug: $21.10 ($5.28 / quart)
5 Gal pail: $104 ($5.20 / quart)

In contrast, the local NAPA carries all Mobil 1 brands, and has informed me they will also stock M1 T&S starting Q2, for the same $4.99 / quart.

Jerry

quote:

Originally posted by heyjay:
Although Mobil refuses to publish detailed specifications, if you go to the Mobil site and compare Delvac 1 to M1 T&S, the specifications appear to be exactly the same.

Jerry

You are right Jerry, the data sheets seem to be identical. Okay since I still have a few cases of Mobil 1 0w-30, 0w-40 and 15w-50 out in the garage, I will continue making my own 5w-40 or 5w-45 witch's brew mixes. When those are gone, I will just switch to the Delvac 1 5w-40 and/or the Truck/SUV 5w-40, whichever I can find easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back