Mobil 1 5w-30 Shortage

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been following the various posts here about the post-Katrina affect on Mobil 1, but it really came home today. I went to my local Wally World to pick up a jug and they were totally out of both the standard Mobil 1 and the EP in the 5-quart jugs. They had (count them) three single quarts of the regular in that viscosity.

I went to two other Wal-Marts and finally at the third one I found a single jug of the standard Mobil 1. No EP in 5W-30 was to be found. Also out of the three I found one single quart of the Truck and SUV variety.

Hopefully everything will be brought back to normal soon.

was just at my local K-mart today and they still had pre-katrina M1 and lots of it. Prices were somewhat higher than W-M but they do have it in stock-at least in my area. K-mart still has the look of them going out of buisness thou-the place always look empty of people and not much stock-but they did have M1, they even had 6 qts of old old Tri-Syn SJ 10w30 along with SM and a good mix of EP-all for about $6.00per qt or less and all was like I said Pre-katrina with the API label.

I saw some mobil 1 5w30 and 10w30 quart bottles SM/GF-4 with the api starburst and donut at sears inside the mall here in texas. This was when i was shopping around during christmas time (Dec.21st). I was surprised to see that many SM/GF-4 M1 there.

Our Wal-Mart had a good stock of quarts @$5.39 on Sunday. I was just getting a quart for my snowblower so i didn't look at/for the jugs.

As an update, I went to yet another Wal-Mart (one near my work) and they had a better supply. Quite a bit of regular 5W-30 plus lots of single quarts of the EP and Truck & SUV varieties.

It's funny, at first all the post-Katrina oil was missing the starburst from the front but all the stuff on the shelves now has it back. I wonder if this is old stock or Mobil has re-certified their alternate additive mixture (or gone back to the old formula).

I called Mobil about the shortage of 5w-30 EP and they said that it was due to Katrina. They plan on resuming a normal supply of 5w-30 EP beginning 1/1/06, as I was told.

I was at my local Wally's 2 days ago. The shelves are nearly bare of M1 products. No 5 qt jugs at all, and only a few single quart bottles. If I needed to do a change today I'd buy Pennz Platinum, as they seem to have that in good supply, in the 5 qt jugs.

Im just 600 Miles into this change with 5w30 Mobil EP. So Im not worying just yet,but around here you can't find anything Mobil except Mobil 5000. The rest is gone. (In 5w30)

Went to Sam's Club today for M1 5w-30. Last time I went 28.88/case (6qt) all markings were present. Now 29.98/case and the starburst is on the front but the donut is not on the back. I was going to stock up, but didn't buy any.

KMart here in northcentral PA has tons of M1, everything from OLD green cap to brand new 5W30EP, shelf is literally loaded front to back.

I don't think anyone buys motor oil from them at this location. I wish I had a camera phone, some of the bottles look close like they are 10 years old...

-GarrettSocling

I'd just check the date on the bottle if they even post dates on theirs. I'd should of checked the date on those SM/GF-4 m1's i saw at sears (inside of the mall). But as long as i can get these with the starbursts and donuts, im alll goooooood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back