Mobil 1 5w-30 HM Ep @ 9.9k mi / GM 6.0L vortec @ 160k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for your thoughts on this one. I used Mobil 1 5w30 HM EP. The iron wear is high but I do a ton of heavy towing and there was nearly 10k on the oil. Would I be better served with another M1 product?
1626819848998.png

Last edited by a moderator:
That's actually a very good UOA. I understand iron is higher than you'd like, but thats a great number for nearly 10K miles. You could choose Mobil 1, 5W-40 Turbo Diesel Truck for a more robust oil. The 0W oils will probably shear faster and you may not see an improvement.

We've seen iron numbers in the 250 range and very low detectable wear on race engines. UOA results and metals do not really indicate wear rates. Conversely, we've seen destroyed components and good UOA results. People really associate UOA Fe numbers result and cylinder wear. That's simply not the case. Pushrod engines have plenty of small components that each generate tiny amounts of detectable iron.

Mobil 1 isn't that great of a motor oil it seems. I no longer use Mobil 1 in any of our vehicles. Is it bad oil? No, but probably on par with SuperTech and Amazon Basics, which isn't high praise for a brand that at one point in time was the leader in synthetic motor oils. The higher Iron says that you need a more robust motor oil. Try Quaker State Euro 5W-40 API SP. It's awesome motor oil!😎

Mobil 1 isn't that great of a motor oil it seems. I no longer use Mobil 1 in any of our vehicles. Is it bad oil? No, but probably on par with SuperTech and Amazon Basics, which isn't high praise for a brand that at one point in time was the leader in synthetic motor oils. The higher Iron says that you need a more robust motor oil. Try Quaker State Euro 5W-40 API SP. It's awesome motor oil!😎
If you can even find it anymore

760 ppm Mg is impressive, just 10.0 cSt at 100°C isn't, even for a 5W-30 and after 10,000 mls. HTHS is likely considerably
below 3.0 now.
I'd look for HTHS above 3.5 or even close to 4.0 and 300 - 400 ppm of Boron. Change oil between 5,000 and 7,500 mls.

Last edited:
What a load

And a UOA is far more about the specific engine and operating conditions then it is about the oil.
I’m wondering what was out of spec with this oil … ?
Many suggested an XW40 … seems like that’s worth a try considering many miles or hard work …

Castrol wouldn’t of had this problem it’s time to switch.
I absolutely agree and definitively approve 😎

What a load
Mobil 1 makes okay oil, not great oil. At one point they made the SuperTech for Walmart that was sold in the western parts of the US. Exxon is a whole seller, they don't give two craps about spending money on R&D. I hope I didn't hurt anyone's feelings, however, Mobil 1 is average motor oil at best.

I absolutely agree and definitively approve 😎

Mobil 1 makes okay oil, not great oil. At one point they made the SuperTech for Walmart that was sold in the western parts of the US. Exxon is a whole seller, they don't give two craps about spending money on R&D. I hope I didn't hurt anyone's feelings, however, Mobil 1 is average motor oil at best.
You should not post (with great authority) when you know nothing about EMRE or this product line.
Your comments to date prove you don’t …

If it was mine and your stuck on a extended oil.
Try castrol edge extended performance. If your willing to go less. Magnatec or Quaker state syn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back