Mobil 1 5qt jug - ***?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else notice that the bottle cap is SUPER TIGHT. Those little prongs really cut my hand
frown.gif

Also, the M1 5W-30 seems very dark out of the bottle, it was almost as if I'm pouring used oil.... but on the dipstick its invisible!

Nonetheless it definitely feels different on your hand - it sorta sticks to your skin and spreads quickly. The petro 5W-30 is more gooey and not as thin.

It smells the same as Supertech Full Synth 5W-30 though - definitely not that petro/dino oil smell.

[ August 16, 2003, 07:06 PM: Message edited by: metroplex ]

quote:

Originally posted by metroplex:
Anyone else notice that the bottle cap is SUPER TIGHT. Those little prongs really cut my hand
frown.gif

Also, the M1 5W-30 seems very dark out of the bottle, it was almost as if I'm pouring used oil.... but on the dipstick its invisible!

Nonetheless it definitely feels different on your hand - it sorta sticks to your skin and spreads quickly. The petro 5W-30 is more gooey and not as thin.

It smells the same as Supertech Full Synth 5W-30 though - definitely not that petro/dino oil smell.

I suppose next you'll be telling us it's a Group III since it smells the same as Supertech.
rolleyes.gif

Anyone notice that the M1 pours out really dark?

I had to lubricate the gasket on my filter so I touched the M1. Felt and smelled just like the Supertech Full Synth 5W-30 - the only "synthetic" product I had on hand at the time. I could go to Walmart and smell all the oils but they'd probably throw me out
wink.gif

[ August 16, 2003, 08:36 PM: Message edited by: metroplex ]

If you do not have some kind of diabetic skin condition or arthritis then I think you might consider Geritol and toughening up! It is a plastic cap for petes sake! Grip it like you want to crush it and give it a quick snapy twist. I sure hope no other Men or Women heard you say this out loud!!

Sorry Metroplex but you left the door open on this one! Sure hope they have Geritol in your country or you might miss the humor!!
cheers.gif

Why did Mobil put those nasty sharp prongs on the top?? I gripped it as hard as I can and all I got was some nasty abrasions.

Turns out some adhesive goo stuck the cap gasket to the foil and made it significantly more difficult to remove. The cap is more like a torture device than a sealing device for lubricant.

It's a very very very poor design IMHO. They could have just used a smaller spout + normal cap so that it'd actually FIT in modern oil filler spouts on the valve covers instead of requiring a funnel. Oh well
smile.gif

quote:

You screwed up here. You're supposed to let it breath for a moment with the cap off before checking the bouquet. Too late now. Better buy another 5 quarts...
wink.gif

[ August 16, 2003, 09:29 PM: Message edited by: jsharp ]

Metro, I noticed the same thing two weeks ago when I opened a 5 Qt jug of 10W30 to put in my Explorer. I had to grab a rag to open it. -Joe

joe:
frown.gif

Glad to hear someone else experience the same problem - so I'm not crazy after all!

I can remove the water pump from my 4.6 w/ my bare hands, same with the Ranger center caps from my wheels. But the harder you gripped this cap, the more the prongs/edges dug into your skin until you finally have to let go.

dynamite works REALLY well in these situations...but sometimes the oil gets contaminated...
grin.gif

Not only are the caps on tight but the bottles are so heavy when moving them as necessary ,really!!! The worse thing is when twisting my wrist to pour the oil into engine,

I like it that the cap is on there good and tight. Then you know no one else has tampered with the contents.
shocked.gif

I use a thin-bladed screw-driver to gently pry the ring off the lower part of the cap. Comes off very quickly (and pain-free!
wink.gif
) that way.

This reminds me of Mobil DriveClean when it first came out with the wide mouth bottles. The first time I opened one it was really hard to open and I was really irritated. The oil poured very nicely but it was a real pain to open. I had this problem with all six bottles. I just did an oil change a few days ago with Mobil DriveClean and it could have not been any easier to open. It almost felt like I was opening a bottle that wasn't properly sealed however they were properly sealed and not leaking. The bottles looked the same. Either there was a problem with their quality control earlier or ExxonMobil changed something in the design of the cap.

[ August 18, 2003, 12:51 AM: Message edited by: Sin City ]

Common dudes, this is why the pliers were invented!!!!! I have to fess up on this one as well, that ****nnnnned cap was a little sharp in my opinon too. But hey, for good syn. oil at 18.44 for 5 quarts, I can live with it.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:

dynamite works REALLY well in these situations...but sometimes the oil gets contaminated...
grin.gif

I'm practicing now with a samarai sword to whack the top of the bottle off in one clean stroke!
wink.gif

I keep a pair of Robogrip plyers in the kitchen for stubborn bottle caps and the large Robogrips and some Channelocks in the garage. "Work smarter, not harder young man!"

I told my Dad about this post and he just shook his head! I think he felt shame for Metroplex. I do not think his 1954 synaptic wireing could comprehend how a man could have hands soft enough to be hurt buy a twist off cap! I also think that the idea of admiting such a thing was equaly mind boggeling!!

quote:

Glad to hear someone else experience the same problem - so I'm not crazy after all!

metroplex, you do realize this has no bearing on whether or not you're crazy ...
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Rexman:
I'm practicing now with a samarai sword to whack the top of the bottle off in one clean stroke!

Rexman, I can picture John Belushi as "Samurai Grease Monkey" right now! Look, there's Buck Henry coming in for an oil change ...
grin.gif

Maybe this is Mobil's response to all the whining we did about six months ago when the M1 bottles were all oily/leaky? Now they're probably thinking, "Jeez! These oil-dorks are never satisfied!"
blush.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back