Mobil 1 5-quart jugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found the last 5-quart jug of Mobil 1 5w30 at my local Wal-Mart, mixed in with the 10w30 jugs ($17.88). Of course, I bought it! I understand that many here feel the 10w30 is a better choice. But the 5w30 is what's recommended for all the vehicles in my "fleet," all of which are under warranty.

I asked when they usually got it in, and the Tire and Lube manager told me it's a non-replinishable item. Apparantly, they have no control over when they'll get it or how much. This certainly cleared up my confusion over why they seem to stock it randomly.

Thanks Segment Fault,

I often wondered if Houdini was working at Walmart!
grin.gif

They go on sale in the 5-qt jugs here about 4 times a year. The 5w-30 just flies off the shelves. The 10w-30 goes next and the 15w-50 is last to go.

The walmart supercenter where I live seems to have the jugs on a regular basis. They ran out about a month ago and just got another load in the other day. I usually try to get a few jugs so I'll have a good supply.

Wayne

What about a motor that holds only 4 quarts of oil? How long is the storage life once the container is opened?

quote:

Originally posted by dragboat:
What about a motor that holds only 4 quarts of oil? How long is the storage life once the container is opened?

Dragboat, my Acura only holds four quarts. I usually change the oil at 3500-4000 miles, which is about 3-4 months. I figure that the remaining oil should be good that long. I tried to find the shelf life on Mobil's website but could not. I think that the shelf life is three years, but I'm not sure once it's opened. -Joe

On Mobil's website (I think in the "Ask Mobil" section) they said it has a shelf life of ten years.
I don't know if that is unopened or opened, but I don't see how it would matter. The bottles probably aren't airtight new anyway and oil isn't hygroscopic like brake fluid...
dunno.gif

I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep it tightly closed so dirt doesn't get in.

quote:

Originally posted by segfault:
[QB But the 5w30 is what's recommended for all the vehicles in my "fleet," all of which are under warranty.
[/QB]

I wouldn't worry about warranty-I don't.
gr_eek2.gif
Technically they need to prove your actions (the oil) caused the related failure. I know they could make it tough, but you would prevail, expecially if you had an analysis to shove down their throat.
twak.gif

In Canada we have the 4 liter jugs up here all the time, and the 5L jugs are pretty common also, although the 5L jugs only come in the 10w30 and 15w50, while the 5w30 comes in a 4.5L jug. What sucks is that the 4L jugs are not cheaper at all, with a recent price increase they actually cost more than buying single bottles!

When the 5L jugs come out though, they are often priced lower than the 4L jugs! Or at least the same price. For a while the 5L jugs of 10w30 TriSynthetic were as low as $22 CDN, which is only $14 US. And keep in mind too, 5 liters equals about 5.3 quarts! So that was a killer bargain!

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
Four quarts for the sump at oil change and one quart for top-offs.

Molakule, luckily, my Acura burns no oil. When I change the oil and filter, I pour the used oil back into the Mobil 1 jug, and it very close to the 4 quart mark on the jug. I drain the oil filter overnight in a pan to try and get all of the oil out, so this is a pretty close measurement. -Joe

The local Farm and Fleet has 4qt jugs on rare occasions. They published a price qt or go back to some Trisyn I have. The "oil change" system must like summer, I am at aout 6K miles and it has not come on yet. Regards, RW

Al, there's also the flip side to that. I recently traded in a 2002 Mazda B3000 on my Explorer. The Mazda had the 3.0 Vulcan engine that is in numerous Ford vehicles. Around 4000 miles, the engine started making a tapping noise, which I thought were the valves tapping. To make a long story short, the noise was spark knock, which is a major problem with this engine. I went through 2 computers, 1 mass air sensor, knock sensors and a valve adjustment. The whole time that this was going on, the dealer was asking for receipts for all of my maintenance. I had receipts for the oil and filters and had documented in the owners maunal the mileage and date that I changed the oil. I used 5W30, the recommended viscoscity, Motorcraft FL400s filters and either Motorcraft or Castrol GTX oil. I was covered!!! They couldn't do crap to me. But they never could fix the spark knock, and I know several people that still have this problem. So what did I do, I bought another Ford vehicle
wink.gif
- Joe

quote:

Originally posted by slickracer:
I picked up a 5qt jug of Mobil 1 yesterday at Wal-mart for $14.00. The display was marked $17.88, but scanned at $14.00....so I went back and bought 2 more.

That's awesome! I forgot to mention, they had Castrol Syntec 5w30 and 10w30 (I think at $14.88). I know that one isn't as popular--they had plenty!

For our anniversary, my wife bought me a SIX-PACK.......................
of Mobil 1 10W30 SS and the per quart price was like $3.38/qt USD.

Now, hey, am I a lucky guy or what??
grin.gif

Speaking of Mobil 1, I finally saw SuperSyn! My local Walmart has a pretty good stock of it now. They've got the 4L jugs of 5w30 and tons of single bottles too. They have the 10w30 in the single bottles, but the 4L jugs are still old stock of TriSynth.

I picked up a 5qt jug of Mobil 1 yesterday at Wal-mart for $14.00. The display was marked $17.88, but scanned at $14.00....so I went back and bought 2 more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back