Mobil 1 302A..is this the norm??

Hi Guys...long time lurker and was a member but had password issues....anywho...

Here's my question. I was doing an oil change on my Chevelle and don't normally cut open the filters on a regular basis, but because I installed a roller cam, I wanted to keep an eye out for any metal. Good news is that there is no metal that I can see, but is it normal for a Mobil One filter to use a string to keep the media together???

Attachments

• M1302A.jpg
    M1302A.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 97
  • M1302AInside1.jpg
    M1302AInside1.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 98
  • M1302AInside2.jpg
    M1302AInside2.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 97
Purolator used that string set-up on their filters in the past so I'm assuming with all of the mergers and acquisitions among filter makers that Purolator is now making these Mobil1 filters.

Judging by looks alone that doesn't look like a 'premium priced' filter to me. I'd use a Fram Ultra for less money.

I know I should have taken a picture of it, but it went into the garbage. I know that it's at lease a year old because I change the oil and filter every November..

Purolator used that string set-up on their filters in the past so I'm assuming with all of the mergers and acquisitions among filter makers that Purolator is now making these Mobil1 filters.

Judging by looks alone that doesn't look like a 'premium priced' filter to me. I'd use a Fram Ultra for less money.
Mann-Hummel using Purolator's factories now makes the Mobil 1 filters, they switched about 2 years ago.

It's not unusual to see the assembly sting used on larger/longer application M&H Puro made OFs. Based on dimensions I found, I'd say the topic filter qualifies. Afaik or have seen, doesn't hurt anything.

I took one off a Nova last winter during some maintenance for a fellow. I opened up and it looked just like that. Been using ultra guards on peoples cruisers and Fram HP on the cars that race or get pounded on.

Hi Guys...long time lurker and was a member but had password issues....anywho...

Here's my question. I was doing an oil change on my Chevelle and don't normally cut open the filters on a regular basis, but because I installed a roller cam, I wanted to keep an eye out for any metal. Good news is that there is no metal that I can see, but is it normal for a Mobil One filter to use a string to keep the media together???
Can I see a photo of your Chevelle? Sorry.... its a life long disease. Chevelle on the brain since 1967. Past owner of (4) , one 1972 and then three from 1976, until 2018.

Since Mobil 1 changed their supplier from Champion Labs to Purolator, they are no better than a Carquest Red filter.

Since Mobil 1 changed their supplier from Champion Labs to Purolator, they are no better than a Carquest Red filter.
Any ideas on a good replacement filter? I was thinking Wix or Napa Gold…

Back