Mobil 1 15W50 Oil in 08 Hayabusa?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was in Walmart yesterday and see that they have Mobil 1 15W50 oil for $22.00 for a 5 quart jug and was wondering if it would be a good oil for my 08 Hayabusa. Yes I know this is not a motorcycle specific oil. It's not a energy conserving oil so there should be no clutch problems it more than meets the API ratings SM/SL. I also like the fact that it is a 50 weight so it hold up better to the shearing effect of the tranmission And it is less than half price of the motorcycle specfic oils so I can change the oil twice as often for the same money. New fresh oil is a good thing. I know a quite a few people than use 15W40 Diesel oil in there bikes and swear by them. I was thinking this would be better yet. Just a thought. Thanks for your advice.

The accessories are usually gear driven on big diesels (cam, water pump, oil pump, air compressor and such.) and as such the oils that are made for them have additives that prevent or reduce foaming of oil. And shearing to an extent I would guess. So running them in a M/C with the trans and engine share the lube is second nature for the oil so to say. Personally I'd stick with a HDEO for those. A freind of mine put nearly 10K track miles on a CBR600 and used Rotella T usually syn but sometimes just dino 15w40 if it was on sale. Bike still ran and shifted well when he traded up.

Have you seen this white paper from Amsoil? Updated just last month, very good read.

https://www.amsoil.com/lit/g2156.pdf

It sounds like you're trying to save money by using a less expensive oil. Personally, if I paid that much for a MC, I'd use the best [censored] oil I could buy in it. And it wouldn't be something I could buy at Wally World.

M1 15w50 will work great in your bike, esp. if you run it hard. The HDEO's like Rotella 15w40 work well also, but have to be changed out at around 3000mi, while the M1 15w50 should be good for 5000+. (I use them both)

Your bike engine will last forever if you change the oil and filter at reasonable intervals, don't constantly hit red line, and just ride hard, but safe.

As I regularly say, M1 15-50 (in it's recent silver cap formulation) is one of the best oils mankind has ever made. It's that good. Is it good for a Hayabusa? Dunno.

What is the OEM required oil viscosity? Is the M1 close? Do you ride only in summer?

Just because it's sold at Wally World doesn't mean that it is carap. Mobil 1 is good oil no matter where you buy it. 15/50 Silver Cap at 3-4,000 OCI's with a good filter( Pure One) will keep your bike running fine for a long time.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Redline955
Just because it's sold at Wally World doesn't mean that it is carap. Mobil 1 is good oil no matter where you buy it. 15/50 Silver Cap at 3-4,000 OCI's with a good filter( Pure One) will keep your bike running fine for a long time.

You're right, I let my disdain for WW creep into my post, M1 is a fine oil.

It's proven to be as good as anything out there.

Just slapped some (Gold Cap) in my V-Strom, and it's as happy as a pig in a giant slop trough!!
thumbsup2.gif

My Hayabusa calls for 10W40 API-SF or SG or SH orSJ Oil or any oil from 10W40 to 20W50 that meets the API standards. With the 15W50 Mobil I figure I can change my oil at between 2500 and 3000 miles. This 15W50 Mobil 1 has a API rating of SM/SL

Better yet, try Rotella 15W40 for $10.50/gal. Multiple UOAs on here (and the web) show that M1 15W50 shears relatively quickly to a 40W.

UOAs on the 15W40 in my SV650 at 3000 mi OCI and my DRZ400E at 1000 mi OCI are excellent - still 40W and low wear metals. Countless others here have posted good experiences and excellent UOAs with it as well in motorcycle apps.

Since the add packs are comparable, nothing to be gained by the using the 15W50 in your application, IMO.

Weird, but my bike absolutely drank M1 15w50. For some reason, I had to add about 1/2 a quart in 1,500 miles. That was very alarming to me....I dumped it and went to M1 10w40 R4T. Interesting but the bike didn't drink very much R4T....about 1/2 a quart in 3k miles....about half as much as the 15W50.

Sure, it might have something to due with the difference in style of riding, but I am pretty consistent.

I have no doubt that 15w50 is awesome, but my bike didn't seem to like it in terms of consumption.

By the way.....Suzuki DL650. Water Cooled V-Twin.

Originally Posted By: BigJohn
Weird, but my bike absolutely drank M1 15w50. For some reason, I had to add about 1/2 a quart in 1,500 miles.

I use to run the Mobil 1 MXT4 10W-40 in my 2000 Busa and it used oil ... about the same 1/2 qt per 1500 miles. Have heard complaints from other Busa owners of similar experience.

I switched back to conventional non-synthetic oil and it uses basically none. Strange.

I have a 2008 Hayabusa that I only will run Amsoil 10w-40 in. My 2000 Honda Valkyrie Interstate gets Rotella synthetic. The busa is a high performance engine, hence the Amsoil. Both are safe for the wet clutches. I stay away from any oil that says "energy conserving" Hope this helps. p/s Wikipedia also has an article on Rotella use in motorcycles.

M1's 15w50 is a pretty tough oil with a nice ad pack, lots of zinc(1300),cal and would work great in that bike.

Hey guys, speaking of drinking oil, maybe you saw a post i recently did where i asked a service guy why do they even make semi. His answer was that synth in some engines, especially big bores can easily get past the rings and so you burn oil. Semi doesn't do that near as much. That was his answer for why they make semi. Looks like he may have been right from what you're saying here !

I have about 1600 miles on the 15w50 in my fz1. It has held up good. I am going to go till 2k and get a uoa done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back