Mobil 1 15W-50

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: daman
Im suspecting it's more then grp III hydrocracked oil but can't prove it.

Doug???

That`s what I`m thinking too. The old red cap was probably a PAO base,right?

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

Doug???

+1

I remember Red Cap. It was SL... IIRC.

I hear some die-hards buy Red Cap 15W-50 like some of us buy old GREEN GC! Also,l i had no idea M1 was supposed to be this great. For an older car that needs some viscosity.. Top choice, eh?
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: HangerHarley
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

Doug???

+1

I remember Red Cap. It was SL... IIRC.

I hear some die-hards buy Red Cap 15W-50 like some of us buy old GREEN GC! Also,l i had no idea M1 was supposed to be this great. For an older car that needs some viscosity.. Top choice, eh?
thumbsup2.gif

Yes the ol red cap was SL and out standing,, GREAT for flat tappet cams,high performance applications,high oil temps,etc...

i've got two qts of the ol SL red cap i saving for a souvenir lol

Yes the ol red cap was SL and outstanding, GREAT for flat tappet cams, high performance applications, high oil temps,etc...

I've got two quats of the ol SL red cap i saving for a souvenir lol

I still have 3 quarts Red-Cap SL from 2-3 cases I bought 7-8 years ago with BOGO coupons from Pep Boys. I think it was one of the best xW50 if not the best, specially for the price of around $5.xx/qt at that time.

I remember the service adviser recommended this Red-Cap M1 15W50 over M1 0W40 for my E430 when I had it in for free oil change in 2002 or 2003.

Last edited:
Hi,
HTSS_TR - You said this;
"I remember the service adviser recommended this Red-Cap M1 15W50 over M1 0W40 for my E430 when I had it in for free oil change in 2002 or 2003."

That was a typical statement at the time - and especially here on BITOG - how ill informed!

I learned a long time ago most Service Writers advice should be taken with a grain of salt. Good ones were far and few. Most of them I worked with were clueless and were hired because they had a good line of B_S, were able to upsell customers, and deal with complaints.

Hi,
carman594 - Best, better????. There is no way to say - especially as you are comparing different viscosities for an "unknown" application

You asked a question about M1 15W-50 - I think the replies have answered your question very well IMO

I'm just very curious if this is just a run-of-the-mill M1 or if it's in another league as I have heard very good things about it but I have also heard M1's quality has gone down significantly and is not a true 100% synthetic.

Originally Posted By: carman594
So is M1 15W-50 oil better than this?

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/genericarticle.do?categoryId=82915470&contentId=7032644

Yes. ONLY because that 20W-50 is IMPOSSIBLE to find. IMPOSSIBLE, I say!

I wanted to collect a quart of GREEN German Castrol as a souvenir.

The Syntec that is a 50 is now 5W-50, since the 20W-50 is nary even made anymore.

M1 15W-50.. a "Thin 50," though Castrol Syntec may be a "thinner" 50, and both very very good. There ARE cars that like the flow of a 5 on startup and the protection of a 50 when running (5 referring to Resistance to Flow, good circulation) number.

Ford GT (2007 to 2010) is one of them. So are BMW M3s, they MAY get away with a 5W-50, it wants heavier but oh well.

Quote:
I'm just very curious if this is just a run-of-the-mill M1 or if it's in another league as I have heard very good things about it but I have also heard M1's quality has gone down significantly and is not a true 100% synthetic.

People say this about Syntec too, since its "Group III." Its mostly false, outdated info, and not really true. Right?
27.gif

Last edited:
M1's quality has not gone down imo. Yes for a lot of their oil's they are using a Group III+ base oil now. I forget their new name for it, but it's a very very high quality Group III, which is why most label it Group III+. As is Pennzoil and Castrol high end synthetic products like Ultra and Edge.

To get a mostly Group IV and V base oil product you will have to go to the likes of Royal Purple, Royal Purple XPS, Redline, Motul 300v, etc. Which of course comes with a hefty price tag and imo has not much better, if at all better results

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: shpankey
M1's quality has not gone down imo. Yes for a lot of their oil's they are using a Group III+ base oil now. I forget their new name for it, but it's a very very high quality Group III, which is why most label it Group III+. As is Pennzoil and Castrol high end synthetic products like Ultra and Edge.

To get a mostly Group IV and V base oil product you will have to go to the likes of Royal Purple, Royal Purple XPS, Redline, Motul 300v, etc. Which of course comes with a hefty price tag and imo has not much better, if at all better results
What about GC?

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
daman - You said this:
"Im suspecting it's more then grp III hydrocracked oil but can't prove it."

It is more!

Thanks D,,thats my gut feeling
11.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back