Mobil 1 15W-50 EP Discontinued?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shoot!
mad.gif
I just switched to this in my old, solid lifter, air-cooled VW van/bus and it is in love with this oil. Can I use the non EP version...what's the difference? Will it work with solid lifters? What can I do other than stock-up? Ugh!

Yes, I beleive it is discontinued. The regular 15W-50 should work fine.

M1 changed the EP formulas a few years ago to obtain API certifications on the EP oils (they previously weren't), so I don't think there is a big difference now other than additives for longer guaranteed OCI.

OK. Good. Thanks for the info. I don't want to start over so I will just use the silver cap. whew.

I've seen it for $1.99 at all the Walmarts down here.

Mark, they have a bunch of it at the Walmart next to Miami Dolphin Stadium.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
I've seen it for $1.99 at all the Walmarts down here.

Mark, they have a bunch of it at the Walmart next to Miami Dolphin Stadium.

It was only recently discontinued so there may still be some around, and as you noticed it may be on clearance.

It's still for sale everywhere I go here in Salt Lake City. I've been using it for years. I'll just switch to the silver cap when the time comes.

The Walmart stores here had the silver cap M1 15W50 quarts on clearance for $3 a quart. Jugs were still $26.

EM emailed me back today and told me the same thing..that the new stuff is just as good.
(I just wanted them to have my little vote to not discontinue it.)
I don't like to change though. I trust the gold cap. Oh well. Nuttin I can do about it.

I got on the contact page there and said I wish they weren't discontinuing it and thet left me in a bit of a quandry as to what to use. I asked them to reconsider, in effect.
Anyway, I got a brief response that the new would be just as much protection--and they're prolly right.

But maybe we can all complain and they'll bring it back someday.

It's funny, I'll try different oil or filters sometimes just to settle on a favorite for the long haul, but I hate having these choices settled for me.

Ya. I'm sure its good stuff. They test it and all and said its for older engines with more anti-wear needs. 15W-50 = Good weight for my purposes, which is an air-cooled VW. The temps get high in the summer. They just don't regulate temp. year round as well as a normal engine.
Think I should keep using 10W-40 in the cold months though?

I know i have two air cooled ATV's that love this stuff that run hotter then h ell,run it all summer change out twice,come cooler months here i do notice a little hard starting(cranking)but once started i let it warm up good.

Probably wouldn't be a bad idea if you run it in the winter?

I might try this 15W-50 this year since this is my first year with syn in this engine. I was running 10W-40 after October per sage advice from a VW guru...but he uses dino so the rules may change for me now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back