Mobil 1 15w-50, 4k miles, ‘96 Lexus LX450 ( Toyota Land Cruiser FZJ-80 ) 4.5L 1FZ-FE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mobil 1 15w-50 for 4K miles and 2 months, mild temperatures, no real cold starts and not to much hot driving, was a mix of 35 mile all highway commute (every third week as I started carpooling) and around town short trips the rest of the time, unlike the previous OCI no long trips, no notable work on engine that would effect the sample. No fuel injector cleaners used like the previous sample, fuel was mainly Chevron 93 and Amoco ultimate, with a few odd balls thrown in, Toyota 90915-20004 filter (now discontinued) sporting an interesting synthetic media , previous sample was a 90915-20002 witch has an oddly arranged paper element that I do not like (no solid data just MHO). Same air filter plugs wires etc in both OCI’s

This is the old darker M1 that has been sitting around in my garage for over a year, I hear the formulation has changed since then, I do not know the details, is this stuff better or worse than the new stuff? Same?

It was more than a quart low when changed; the make up quart was added early in the OCI

-

Previous sample thread Delvac 1 5w40, 5k miles, ‘96 Lexus LX450 4.5L IFZ-FE ( FZJ-80 Toyota Land Cruiser)

Cary's '96 Land Cruiser on 0w-40 for refrence

Same

I am very glad to see the wear metals dropped off nicely, even adjusted for the 1,252 mile difference Iron, Copper, Lead, and Tin were all down, some by a very large margin.

The possibly unanswerable question: WHY? I would like to know what I did that improved results, or if it was even any of my efforts or something out or my control. Unfortunately there were a lot of changes between these two OCI’s and I do not have any previous samples to compare to. AFIK this is the 3rd synthtic OCI for this engine,

Was it the:
Oil
_Viscosity a better match for this motor and conditions?
_More Molly?
_M1 vs D1?
Better oil Filter?
Mild temperatures?
No FI cleaner?
Cleaning of old wear metal holding deposits in the previous OCI causing false highs?
No long trips to hot FL summer towing a small trailer?
the planets aligned?
Something else?

The engine did seam slightly sluggish with the 15w-50 , but it was very quiet (almost silent) and smooth

This OCI put in a mix of my remaining Mobil 1 15w-50 (~2qt) and Mobil 1 10w-30 (7-8qt total) for the cold weather, will top of with M1 10w-30, plan to go 5k, no FI cleaner, same Toyota 90915-20004 filter, I wanted to try 0w-40 but there was not enough in my city to do an oil change
frown.gif
, may try that next time

After I find the right weight(s) and install a bypass filter plan to ease up to 10k/6 month OCI’s, analysis results permitting.

Thanks for any help in figuring out what is right here and what to try next, and sorry for the long winded thread,

grin.gif

I think the difference is that the planets are alligned differently.
grin.gif
: But seriously..I don't think you need a 50 wt oil. I make no secret about the fact that I like the mix of 50wt and 30 wt. Mobil 1. I think you did the right thing here. I'll bet your next sample comes in as good as this one.

AL, I though that would be popular
smile.gif

I beleive you have posted in all of my UOA's both for my earlier chevy and now this Toyota, and you have given sage advice, and I apreciate your reply.

do you think think the inprovemnt was unrelated to viscosity, Ie I did not need a 50wt?

I am hoping the next will repeat the downward trend, if so that may becoem my winter oil

quote:

Originally posted by RavenTai:
AL, I though that would be popular
smile.gif

I beleive you have posted in all of my UOA's both for my earlier chevy and now this Toyota, and you have given sage advice, and I apreciate your reply.

do you think think the inprovemnt was unrelated to viscosity, Ie I did not need a 50wt?

I am hoping the next will repeat the downward trend, if so that may becoem my winter oil

Who can really say..not me. But really that amount of lead isn't all that high. Certainly not to the point of worrying about. And consider how many good reports we have seen with 20 wt. oil. Now that you are looking at cooler weather in Georgia you can't possibly be hurting yourself with this mix.

My lead numbers are high in both my vehicles bc I tend to drive too conservatively and keep rpm's too low. Maybe you are doing the same???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back