Mobil 1 10w30 in Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.
This Mobil 1 data sheet for 10w30 sold in Australia states it is the factory fill for the "Holden Special Vehicle (HSV) V8." Any of you guys from down under know what this engine is? I suspect it's your version of the all aluminum LS1, which comes with Mobil 1 5w30 in North America.

Also, the product number for this 10w30 is the same as the 10w30 on the North American data sheet.

Yes, this engine is the exact same LS1 that goes into the Corvettes (and went into the f-bodies before they went out of production a few months ago)

This engine is assembled right up here in Ontario, Canada. My cousin is the engine test engineer at that plant as a matter of fact.

Also, I asked a Holden owner I know from Australia what his owner's manual recommends for oil and he said this:

quote:

10w30, if not available SG, SH or SJ oil with a viscosity of 20w50 or 15W50

[ February 07, 2003, 04:40 PM: Message edited by: Patman ]

I thought the cst @100C was 9.7 for 10w-30. They have it as a 10. Are they rounding? hehe
smile.gif

[ February 07, 2003, 05:01 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Buster, it's probably a different product....since the product #'s are different (doesn't have a dash in it)...may be more ever-so-slightly-more robust/thicker 10-30 than what we see in N.A...

Interstingly enough, the flash point is lower by 10C. The viscosity index is higher too. And it doesn't mention the "SuperSyn" molecule/addative at all...hmmm....

Knowing Mobil and all of there inconsitantcies from tech support to SS without Moly, who knows what it is.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:
Buster, it's probably a different product....since the product #'s are different (doesn't have a dash in it)...may be more ever-so-slightly-more robust/thicker 10-30 than what we see in N.A...

Interstingly enough, the flash point is lower by 10C. The viscosity index is higher too. And it doesn't mention the "SuperSyn" molecule/addative at all...hmmm....

I'd say the numbers being exactly the same except for the dash would NOT mean they are different products. That's too much of a coincidence and probably only means a typo in the preparation of the NZ data sheet or a different way of cataloging the same number. SuperSyn is only used as a marketing term for Mobil 1 in the North American market, so not seeing it on a NZ data sheet is not surprising. As for the very slight differences in specs, I'd say they fall under the "Physical characteristics shown in the table are typical and may vary slightly" disclaimer that's on all Mobil 1 data sheets.

offtopic.gif

This might have been brought up before, but does anyone know how much Molybdenum M1 SS has compared to other oils with Moly? I know Redline/RP has alot.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
offtopic.gif

This might have been brought up before, but does anyone know how much Molybdenum M1 SS has compared to other oils with Moly? I know Redline/RP has alot.

If my memory of the various VOAs posted is correct, Mobil 1 SS seems to have between 50 and 80 ppm of Moly. Schaefers is always over 100 ppm. Other OTC dino oils seem to have about the same amount as Mobil 1, with Pennzoil HD having over 100 ppm. Red Line consistently has over 500 ppm.

Thanks G-Man. Is M1's formula that proprietary? They don't seem to be to enthusiastic about revealing what exactly SS is. I guess through analysis, you can tell..??
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
Thanks G-Man. Is M1's formula that proprietary? They don't seem to be to enthusiastic about revealing what exactly SS is. I guess through analysis, you can tell..??
smile.gif

Mobil won't reveal any details about its formula. The numbers I posted were revealed in oil analyses posted to this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back