Mobil 1 10w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm impressed with this oils consumption which has been only 1/4qt. so far. This has been the lowest consumption I've had yet with an oil so for anyone having issues with oil consumption, give this one a try. It actually is better then Amsoil's 10w-30 for some reason. I've been driving harder then ever too.

Interesting. The last time I use Mobil 1, it was the 10w-30 Tri-Synthetic variety. It burned off worse than dino oil.

I guess that the SuperSyn variety has closed the gap to Amsoil. I am glad that Mobil has stepped up to plate with a better product.

Hey Buster- I am now using Mobil 10w-30 previous oil was Castrol 10w-30. No oil consumption but the oil is turning black very quickly. Previous oil to the Castrol was super syn 5w-30 for winter use. Do you think the castrol is being cleaned out by the 10w-30 mobil- been in around 800 miles.
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by John in the ATL:
Interesting. The last time I use Mobil 1, it was the 10w-30 Tri-Synthetic variety. It burned off worse than dino oil.

I guess that the SuperSyn variety has closed the gap to Amsoil. I am glad that Mobil has stepped up to plate with a better product.

I have used Mobil 1 10W-30 in multiple cars for almost 10 years. I have never had a consumption issue. I think its always been a great product.

quote:

buster - did you do an Auto-Rx treatment in between?

I did an Rx treatment awhile ago...before I ran Amsoil 10w-30. Amsoil 10w-30 did very well too. It could have been the driving conditions but I'm fairly sure I've been driving much harder with the M1.

I too have used M1 10W30 for years (since 1984) and have had no consumption problems what-so-ever. In fact, I use 1/2 qt. of M1 10W30 in 5,000 miles in a 98 Volvo I-6. I consider that terrific. (1 qt per 10K miles)

DEWFPO

[ July 28, 2003, 08:35 PM: Message edited by: DEWFPO ]

M1 10w-30 is their best oil by far IMO. I've used there 0w-30, 0w-40, 5w-30, Amsoil 5w-30/10w-30 and S2000 and M1 10w-30 was the best IN MY engine. Amsoil might do as well now after the Rx treatments but the point was aimed at M1 users who have issues with consumption to try and use the 10w-30..
wink.gif

buster, what do you think about what some people at this web site have done-mixing one quart of 15W-50 Mobil 1 with three or four quarts of Mobil 1 10W-30 (depending on how much oil your vehicle holds)? If I did something like this I would do it only in the hottest months of the year.

I agree with you that Mobil 1 10W-30 is an excellent oil. I have used it in the past in my car and my car ran great with it (and that was an older formula of Mobil 1). I also used the Mobil 1 5W-30 and it seemed to be too thin in my car. However, if I started to use Mobil 1 I would probably use the 10W-30 in the summer months and the 5W-30 in the winter months.

I also like the idea of using a cleaner like Auto-RX to help keep the engine clean.

I have a Toyota Truck with a 22RE 4 cyl. It had 124,000 miles on it when I bought it. The guy was using Havoline 10w30. I noticed it was using some oil between changes. Really, it was using quite a bit. It has never leaked a drop of anything. So, I found this website and ordered the RX and did that treatment. After it was completed I ran Mobil 1 10w30 and it still was using oil. About a quart every 1,000 miles. Then I tried the 3 qts 10w30 and 1 qt 15w50. About a qt every 1,200 miles. So, I'm currently using Redline 10w30 and I just had to add a qt after 1,300 miles of highway driving. I've added the 3oz maintenance dose throughout. It doesn't smoke at anytime and it's still clean as a pin underneath and around the engine. So, It has to be burning it somehow. Maybe it's the rings or valve seats, but the truck runs very well. I guess my choices are-1 keep adding oil every 1,000 miles,or-2 engine overhaul. The truck has 132,000 miles now. Anyone have any comments or suggestions? I've also checked and changed the pvc valve. Any advice would be greatly valued. Thanx, Rando

quote:

buster, what do you think about what some people at this web site have done-mixing one quart of 15W-50 Mobil 1 with three or four quarts of Mobil 1 10W-30 (depending on how much oil your vehicle holds)? If I did something like this I would do it only in the hottest months of the year.

From what I've read, I think it's a good idea. The only bad thing is you won't know the exact viscosity of the oil, only an approximation. But adding a quart of 15w-50 M1 is something I plan on trying at some point. I have two gallons of D1 that I plan on running next.
cheers.gif

I had an '89 GMC K1500 with a 350 SBC and a '93 Regal with the 3800. The truck had never used oil and the regal had always used about 1/2 Qt in 4,000 miles. After going to Mobil 1 10W-30 TriSyn, the truck began using 1 Qt and the Regal went up to 1 Qt in 4,000 miles. This never changed for the several years and many thousands of miles I used it in both vehicles. It was the oil that caused/increased this consumption. Both Mobil 1 and another oil source told me that the oil is enough "slicker" than other oils that it could be allowing it to get past rings and the like. I have differnt vehicles now and have just begun to use Mobil1 SS 10W-30. It has not been in there long enough to report on its comsumption. I'm certainly hoping things have changed.

quote:

Both Mobil 1 and another oil source told me that the oil is enough "slicker" than other oils that it could be allowing it to get past rings and the like.

Mobil 1 is not more "slippery" than any other oils out there, the reason people burn more oil with Mobil 1 compared to other oils is simply because Mobil 1's viscosity is thinner than other 5w30s and 10w30s.

I have used M1 10w-30 in my 1991 Nissan Pathfinder from 127,000 miles (when I bought it) until now 180,000 miles. My consumption has been between none and 1/2 quart per 5000 mile change interval. Consumption depends on the vehicle.

Cary

Rando - Your 4 cylinder Toyota sounds like a candidate for a good quality conventional oil changed every 3000 miles. Have you checked your sparkplugs for evidence of oil fouling? Personally, I'd live with your level of usage rather than go for an engine rebuild right now.

No, I haven't checked the plugs lately. But they only have about 8,000 miles on them. Had the plugs, wires, and rotor changed at the Toyota dealership right after I bought the truck. Your advice is greatly recieved as to the conventional oil and 3,000 mile changes. I just can't see using a synthetic and adding all the time. Do you have any suggestions on what brand and weight to use? Thanx again for your input!!! Rando

quote:

Originally posted by Rando:
No, I haven't checked the plugs lately. But they only have about 8,000 miles on them. Had the plugs, wires, and rotor changed at the Toyota dealership right after I bought the truck. Your advice is greatly recieved as to the conventional oil and 3,000 mile changes. I just can't see using a synthetic and adding all the time. Do you have any suggestions on what brand and weight to use? Thanx again for your input!!! Rando

Check the plugs for one that is fouling. then trace the plug wire back to the boot covered distributor. My truck started to make oil dissappear and I found the #1 cylinder spark plug was really loose. I fixed that and changed the plugs and the problem still persisted. Yesterday while pulling the plugs to check on the condition I found the #1 plug fouled again. I removed the rubber boot to check on the connection and found the #1 cylinder wire had worked its way loose under the rubber boot. I rechecked all the connections under the boot and now the engine is running smoother and quieter. I will know shortly if I am leaking oil past the rings on #1 due to misfires.

I removed the valve cover last weekend to replace the gasket and grommets and the top end looked very clean with no visable signs of wear. I took pictures but am not sure how I will post them. I have been running synthetic since the 1st oil change. Amsoil 10w30 since the 3rd oil change. Truck is now at about 110k.

92 toyota 4x4 22RE.

Other than a short stint of M1 0W-30 and a single run of Shaeffer’s (consumption was too high), I've been running M1 10W-30 in my 2001 PT Cruiser (which are notorious for oil consumption) from 500 miles until now at 97,000 miles. During break-in, it did consume some oil, but now consumes perhaps ¼-½ qt per 10,000 mile oil change interval. I also use M1 10W-30 in our 2002 3.3L Grand Caravan which consumes virtually no oil (it’s kind of unnerving when the oil level is always at the full mark on the dipstick).
wink.gif

Here's my suggestion - Visit your local Wal*Mart and try Shell Rotella T Full Synthetic 5W40 oil. My Lumina was using a quart of 5W30 or 10W30 every 850 miles. Tried GTX HM 10W40 and it went to 1,300 miles per quart. Using the Rotella 5W40, it went to 1 quart per 2,000 miles. I don't know if it is a characteristic of the oil, or if the extra detergents are cleaning up the engine. In other words, I don't know if I went back to the other oils, if they would now be consumed at a lower rate. Also, if you are using that much oil, you are constantly "changing your oil", so to speak, so the 3,000 mile changes suggested by someone are probably not needed...I would confirm this by UOA though.

quote:

Originally posted by Rando:
I have a Toyota Truck with a 22RE 4 cyl. It had 124,000 miles on it when I bought it. The guy was using Havoline 10w30. I noticed it was using some oil between changes. Really, it was using quite a bit. It has never leaked a drop of anything. So, I found this website and ordered the RX and did that treatment. After it was completed I ran Mobil 1 10w30 and it still was using oil. About a quart every 1,000 miles. Then I tried the 3 qts 10w30 and 1 qt 15w50. About a qt every 1,200 miles. So, I'm currently using Redline 10w30 and I just had to add a qt after 1,300 miles of highway driving. I've added the 3oz maintenance dose throughout. It doesn't smoke at anytime and it's still clean as a pin underneath and around the engine. So, It has to be burning it somehow. Maybe it's the rings or valve seats, but the truck runs very well. I guess my choices are-1 keep adding oil every 1,000 miles,or-2 engine overhaul. The truck has 132,000 miles now. Anyone have any comments or suggestions? I've also checked and changed the pvc valve. Any advice would be greatly valued. Thanx, Rando

Well, it is running great, no leaks, no blue smoke, oil is cheap in comparison to a rebuild so IMO just keep adding the oil as needed until she dies, then rebuild if you wish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back