Mobil 1 10W-30 in place of recommended 5W-20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys -

One of my co-workers, a very good guy, has retired his old Ram 1500 ('03?) and replaced it with a 2016 Ram 1500. He used 5w-30 and 10W-30 seasonally in the old one, but the new one calls for 5W-20 year-round. So, he has a stash of Mobil 1 10W-30 he's willing to sell me quite cheaply - $50 for two 4.4 litre jugs plus a bunch of single litres. (I know, that's likely more than you pay new in the US, but here a jug of Mobil 1 runs about $50 except when it goes on sale for around $32. The individual litres run about $12 each. Plus, we pay 13% sales tax - so, the stash new and on sale would cost me about $80 plus tax, so north of $90.)

So last fall I standardised on Mobil 1 5W-30 for my 'fleet' - my wife's and my '09 Mazda 5 (Duratech 2.3 calling for 5W-20), '97 MPV 3.0 calling for 5W-30/10W-30, and son's '02 Protege 1.6 calling for 5W-30/10W-30.

The MPV is driven so little that I will change the oil only one/year and so will stick with 5W-30 year-round.

I can use the 10W-30 in the Protege in the summer.

Here's my question - Is it reasonable to run the Duratech in the 5 on 10W-30 in the summer? I'll go back to 5W-30 in the Fall, given our cold winters. (FWIW, per the owner's manual, 5W-20 is spec'd for Canada, the US, Puerto Rico, and Mexico. For Mexico only, 5W-30 is allowed as a substitute if 5W-20 is not available. 10w-30 is not mentioned.)

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

It's good to be cautious outside of warranty, of course, but in comparison, check the current M1 deal at Canadian Tire if you are searching for a specific viscosity. You obviously know that pitfalls of a 10w-30 in the winter in Winnipeg.
wink.gif

Crazyoildude -

No worries there - the warranty expired two years ago.

Garak -

Yes! Moved back here in '78 as a university student and experienced an incredibly harsh winter, my first as a driver. Was still running conventional Quaker State 10W-30. My '68 Impala did not like the cold starts!

Now it's always syn for my vehicles, and the choice is between 0W & 5W. I don't even consider 10W for the winter!

I could understand someone doing 10w-30 in the summer to get rid of it (or even prefers it) and a 5w-30 in the winter, but when you're using a synthetic, I'd consider that a bit of a waste. I've stuck with 5w-XX year round for the most part for a long time. A heated garage would give you some extra freedom, though.

As an aside, have your Canadian Tires gotten rid of almost all the 10w-30 synthetic options? They're pretty much gone here.

It's reasonable, but I wouldn't do it.

Stick to the 5W year round, and you don't have to worry about the seasons, or what happens if you are called out of town and there's a cold snap.

LOL That is what i meant after that it is up to you but i would not go over a 5w30.. If you do get a cel and some do go back to the 5w20

You can always mix some of the M1 10w-30 with M1 0/5w-20/30...either 1-2 quarts per oil change. I doubt that slight difference would be noticed. Or as you said, run the 10w-30 during the months of April-November.

Originally Posted By: Number_35

Here's my question - Is it reasonable to run the Duratech in the 5 on 10W-30 in the summer? I'll go back to 5W-30 in the Fall, given our cold winters. (FWIW, per the owner's manual, 5W-20 is spec'd for Canada, the US, Puerto Rico, and Mexico. For Mexico only, 5W-30 is allowed as a substitute if 5W-20 is not available. 10w-30 is not mentioned.)

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

10W30 in the summer is fine. It can get very hot during the summer months in Winnipeg, so the 10W isn't going to be an issue.

I would actively CHOOSE to use it when the temps were over -5C (and I do). It's going to flow fine and have fewer VIIs to break down - a lot fewer. Some speculate Amsoil and it are near straight grades.

FYI Parts Source is selling Mobil 1 4.4 liters for 28 bucks.............................................................................................................

Your buddy isn't giving you a deal

Originally Posted By: sir1900
10W30 in the summer is fine. It can get very hot during the summer months in Winnipeg, so the 10W isn't going to be an issue.

That's true, but my qualifier is that if you're using M1 for the specified OCI, you might run into one of our endless winters.
wink.gif
When I was doing seasonal oil changes on the leaking truck (15w-40 in summer, MaxLife 5w-30 in winter), I simply rarely got enough miles out of the oil. With 10,000 mile M1, it would have been that much worse.

Originally Posted By: FastLane
FYI Parts Source is selling Mobil 1 4.4 liters for 28 bucks.............................................................................................................

Your buddy isn't giving you a deal
I bought it. (2 x 4.4 l) + 4 x 1l = 12.8 l for C$50 = < C$4/l.

Mobil 1 has taken a big price jump lately - yesterday at PartSource 10W-30 was $38.99 + 13% tax for the 4.4 + 1 l bundle, for a total of about C$42. That's allegedly 35% off! Even at that sale price that's close to C$8/, so half-price works for me.

I'm going to give you a hint here. Imperial Oil didn't increase their pricing like that, at least not in this province. So, Canadian Tire Corporation came up with this one all on their own.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
The answer is yes but do yourself a favor and get some other 10W-30 besides Mobil 1.

LOL! I saw the title and thought Merk would approve. Then I saw Mobil 1 and knew he wouldn't.

I like the narrower spread of the 10w30’s, which usually result in a lower NOACK volatility (generally speaking but not always due to different base stock composition). Same can be said among the 5w20’s and 0w20’s. (Although in the Mobil 1 EP line, the 0w20 is majority PAO while the 5w20 contains less PAO so it’s possible the NOACK is lower for the 0w20 @10%.). A 5w30 is a good choice as Shannow said. NOACK of the 5w30 EP M1 is 9% fwiw.

When I first bought my Duratechs I used M1 5-30 for a couple of OCIs. After changing to M1 0-20AFE I noticed the engines freed up a bit and did notice a slight gain in MPG. The very best Interstate MPG I saw with the 5-30 was in the mid 32s in the Fusion. After changing to 0-20 I often reach mid 33s.

Originally Posted By: Garak
I'm going to give you a hint here. Imperial Oil didn't increase their pricing like that, at least not in this province. So, Canadian Tire Corporation came up with this one all on their own.
Yup, it's likely the old 'what the market will bear' in action. That was PartSource, but I realize that CTC is the parent company. I was at at Cdn Tire earlier today, and they had Mobil 1 on sale, but @ $33.89/4.4 l (Reg $51.99). This was the regular grades too (5W-20/5W-30/10W-30) rather than the 0W-xx grades.

Will check out Walmart - as recently as a few weeks ago they had the regular grades on for $28.88/4.4 l.

Anyway, it's certainly taken a big jump here, but I guess if it's moving off the shelves they'll keep the prices there ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back