Mobil 1 10W-30 HM.. too good to be true?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been trying to find a suitable high mileage oil that has a HTHS at 3.5+ To try out in my X5, and I stumbled across M1 10W-30 HM, which is nearly a 40wt. And has a euro-like HTHS of 3.5.

It’s specs are very impressive:

KV40: 78 (consistent with euro 0W-40s)
KV100: 12.1 (very thick 30! same as EDGE 0W-30)
VI: 149 (little VII)
HTHS: 3.5
NOACK: 7.6% (per Mobil technical support rep. Redline/Amsoil territory.)
PP: -39C (consistent with most A3/B4 5W-30s... lower than most 10W-30s)
Flash Point: 232C (extremely high... probably due to little VII)

The KV100 to HTHS ratio is very impressive. Indicates quality basestocks with little VII.

All for an everyday low price of $25 st WM. Is it too good to be true?

Last edited:
Looks good on paper, for sure, and probably equally good in real life. I have no reason to not believe these specs.

Not sure if it's going to help your oil consumption issue, but there is only one way to find out.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Not sure if it's going to help your oil consumption issue, but there is only one way to find out.
smile.gif

Yep. Might be a long shot, but worth it for the same price as EDGE 0W-40... well actually cheaper given that I won’t have to run an additive (currently running AT-205 Re Seal).

Originally Posted By: Charlie2015
Why not use M1 HM 10W-40? It looks even better.

Yes..... too bad you missed out on all the Mobil 1 10W-40 HM at autozone's $2/quart clearance sale in December. I think I have 30 quarts.

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
I have been trying to find a suitable high mileage oil that has a HTHS at 3.5+ To try out in my X5, and I stumbled across M1 10W-30 HM, which is nearly a 40wt. And has a euro-like HTHS of 3.5.

It’s specs are very impressive:

KV40: 78 (consistent with euro 0W-40s)
KV100: 12.1 (very thick 30! same as EDGE 0W-30)
VI: 149 (little VII)
HTHS: 3.5
NOACK: 7.6% (per Mobil technical support rep. Redline/Amsoil territory.)
PP: -39C (consistent with most A3/B4 5W-30s... lower than most 10W-30s)
Flash Point: 232C (extremely high... probably due to little VII)

The KV100 to HTHS ratio is very impressive. Indicates quality basestocks with little VII.

All for an everyday low price of $25 st WM. Is it too good to be true?

The BMW 4.8l V8 is notorious for leaking oil. But it's more of a design flaw and component value issue. I though BMW agreed to do a customer retention update and update known to fail components of that engine and valve train. Look online in the BMW forums Ei. bimmerpost but I digress. That's a solid oil.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Why not use M1 HM 10W-40? It looks even better.

Yes..... too bad you missed out on all the Mobil 1 10W-40 HM at autozone's $2/quart clearance sale in December. I think I have 30 quarts.

I got M1 HM 10-40 at WM a few yrs ago for $9 per 5 qt jug! Its when they switched from SM to SN. I got 4 bottles of SM, would have gotten 6 bottles but the wife gave me the evil eye so I put 2 bottles back dooh!

Last edited:
Why not use M1 HM 10w40? It looks even better.

It’s a bit thick for my taste. I like to be right near the 3.5 HTHS limit. Other than being thicker at operating temperature and having worse cold start characteristics, the 10W-40 doesn’t really bring anything to the table.

Originally Posted By: TheIceStormof06
The BMW 4.8l V8 is notorious for leaking oil. But it's more of a design flaw and component value issue. I though BMW agreed to do a customer retention update and update known to fail components of that engine and valve train. Look online in the BMW forums Ei. bimmerpost but I digress. That's a solid oil.

Yeah the N62 mainly leaks through the valve stem seals (20+ hour job) and the oil thermostat gasket (already replaced). I’ll be happy if I can get consumption (through the valve stem seals) to 1 quart every 3-3,500 miles. Currently at 1 quart every 2,500 miles.

BMW is definitely not doing a valve stem seal job on an 11 year old X5 with 105k miles on their dime.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
Price is now $23 at Walmart. Down from a touch over $25.

And if you buy off the WM app you get $5 off. Plus a $12 rebate. Less than $3 a quart for 2 jugs!

I've used M1 10w-30 HM in the Volvo in my sig, and it did well in scorching temps on a cross country trip and in LA traffic. The higher viscosity does make starts noticeably harder on low single digits F winter mornings, but oil pressure light goes off within a second of engine catching even at very cold temps.

High mileage oils may take a long time to have effect on reducing consumption other than by nature of higher viscosity. After years and nearly 30k miles using high mileage oils of varying brand, blue puffs on startup from old valve seals have gotten much smaller.

M1 10w30 HM has been a favorite here for many years.
I have used M1 5w30 HM and it decreased oil consumption in the Camaro by 25%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back