Mobil 1 10W/30 GMC Sierra Denali 5,010 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is my recent UOA from Blackstone. I ran regular Mobil 1 10W/30 for 5,010 miles (the OLM stated 23% oil life left). Truck is a 2006 and has the 345hp 6.0L with 9,953 miles on it as of this oil sample.

Blackstone Comments:

Well, 23% life left...that might be a little optimistic, in our view. Not that anything here
shows a problem. In fact, we think this is going to be a very nice engine for you. But it's still wearing in,
and copper will linger high for a while yet, and we like to see this wear-in stuff get removed from the
engine sooner, rather than later. So we think you did good by changing this oil when you did. The TBN
read 4.0, still active additive remaining. We suggest sticking with 5000 miles on the oil for now. Once
things settle down, you'll be able to run the oil longer.

DATA:

aluminum - 4
chromium - 1
iron - 31
copper - 142
crazy.gif

lead - 7
tin - 1
moly - 85
nickel - 1
manganese- 3
silver - 0
titanium - 0
potassium- 3
boron - 56
silicon - 35
sodium - 68
calcium - 2125
magnseium- 11
phosphorus-572
zinc - 690
barium - 0

sus viscosity at 210 degrees = 62.7
flashpoint = 405
fuel = 0.5
antifreeze = 0
water = 0
insolubles = 0.3
TBN = 4.0

Not much change since the last UOA at 3,078 miles where I had Mobil Clean 5000 in it. You can search for that UOA if you want. I'll probably not get another UOA until about 20,000 miles and see how things are and keep the OCI between 4-5,000 miles until then. I'll probably also stop using Mobil 1 when my stash runs out, but am not fully decided yet...and I don't want to start a thread about that!

Well some of the wear metals are from break-in, but some could be from something else. Not sure if the Al and Tin are from break-in. It's probably a good idea to continue to use M1 and see if things trend down. If not, I would try PP.

Don't worry about the copper at all, that isn't even really that high of a number for a new GM engine. I've seen a few UOAs on new GM engines where there are over 300ppm of copper in a short run (3-5k) and it doesn't seem to hurt the engine at all, since the other wear metals aren't bad. In this case you can see that most of the wear metals are pretty decent, lead is a tick high and same with iron, but for a new engine it's really nothing major. It'll definitely settle down once the engine gets more miles on it.

Patman, You do not think that 37PPM of iron is high as a kit for such a short OCI? THis vechile does have almost 10,000 miles on it. Nice to see GM is still useing 1970's surface finish on their V8's! I do agree with you though about the copper. I am sure that this is a normal signiture for a GM V8 but it does make it any preetier!Over all it does look ok!

Patman,

Did we ever decide what the source of the copper is in these GM vortec engines, ie is it from the cam bearings or from some high temp, copper based sealant or from both???? It just seems that no other domestic V-8 engines yield a signature like this, including the pushrod, Hemi engines used in the new DC vehicles and certainly not the Ford Triton motors....

I see nothing out of the ordinary with this analysis.... The amount of life left in this sample (vis/TBN/TS/FP), would indicate that you could change oil on the basis of the OLM and be just fine with this Mobil 1 oil. The combination of a large displacement engine and a relatively small sump (compared to a German V-8), is not the ticket for long OCI's, but certainly 7k-10k should be consistently possible here.

It's very hard to predict oil life using an analytical and/or emperical model (trust me, I know
wink.gif
), but the GM engineers have done an excellent job with their little algorithm. They are to be commended for helping to expose the 3000 mile OCI recommendation for the scam it is....

Teedub, its not unusual to see a 5.7L Hemi Truck throwing around 25ppm per 1000 mi at the same age as this. So the Hemi does throw a good bit of copper. My understanding is in the GM LS1 engine family its caused primarily by the cam bearings. At least thats what a GM Powertrain Engineer assigned to Bowling Green claimed.

Quote:

Patman, You do not think that 37PPM of iron is high as a kit for such a short OCI?

I do agree it is high, even with the engine being new, but hopefully it'll settle down. I didn't want to turn this into an M1 bashing thread, but I will mention that the iron would probably be less if he switched from M1.

TeeDub, the copper is indeed from the cam bearings.

Thanks for all the great responses. I am not worried about it, because I know these engines take a lot longer than normal to break in. I'm gonna talk to my GM powertrain rep as soon as I get back to work from the holidays about the results. I agree that no matter what's going on with Mobil 1 (if anything at all), it is still good oil and was proved here. I was just referring to the price, if they continue to hit near Redline territory, then I'm gonna go with Redline. I also agree with the little bit of M5000 effecting the results a little, but I felt better running dino the first oil change before going M1. By the way, I changed this oil with another round of M1 and will do another UOA on it. I really should not do UOA's so early, but I just love knowing what's going on in my engines. If I stick with Mobi1 1, atleast I have proven that the oil can take the extended use after the engine is "cleaned out" of it's break in debris. I won't go 10k miles for an OCI, but I'd probably do between 5 and 6k because I don't know how far the AC/Delco filter can go. Plus, I like changing oil and that mileage range only works out to 2 oil changes a year.

That is ok Patman I was not the most on topic with my post!!! This one reason why I hate that every one thinks M1 has increased valvetrain wear. I would say that this is not true. The only engines that seem to have problems with M1 produceing higher wear numbers are domestic OHV V8's! If you look at most imports German or Asian their seems to be little if any increase in wear numbers from M1 and M1EP. Look at how well Honda's,Toyota's and Audi's do on M1 in general.

Quote:

Look at how well Honda's,Toyota's and Audi's do on M1 in general.

True John, but to be completely objective, most oils show well in Toyota's/Honda. M1 does seem to do best in Yota's though for whatever reason.

Copper levels stay high until it develops a protective coating. They form from copper sulfides and are very small in size so can have high ppm but still low amount of mass loss. You only have problems when relatively big chunks of copper/bronze form from wear but that won't happen unless something is wrong like lack of oil, severe dirt ingestion, etc.

This oil did fine for 5,010 miles. But I bet 5w30 SM/GF-4 would of done just as well. Does this engine have an oil cooler on it?

Yes, it has an oil cooler. With a TBN of 4.0. the oil was still ready for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back