Mobil 1 0w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys. All this talk about the new castrol 0w30 and Mobil 1 0w40, I decided to venture out to my local auto zone to see what they had. On the castrol side, only the old yellow castrol 0w30 is there. They had NO clue when I asked about the new german oil.

I did see the Mobil 1 0w40. This seems like a pretty interesting oil. You get the best from both worlds, great fuel economy, fast start up flow and the 40 wt for hot summer days. Anyone put this in their cars yet?

Been running M1 0w-40 in my 1.8T since Feb, but no used oil analysis results yet. However, if you search the UOA forum, you'll find some results there.

I have been running it in my 1.8T as well (in a Passat) and I think the engine is a bit quieter with it. Fuel economy slightly improved, but that could also be from the engine being more broken in. I wouldn't even know how to go about getting oil analysis. I just trust Mobil 1.
Dani

Just changed from 0W30 to 0W40 in my LS1 Firebird last weekend. Not a single mile on it yet, some good reports on it so far. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Probably a good move in an LS1 as they don't seem to happy with 30W (At least the thinner 30W's anyway). Big problems with LS1's here in Oz using oil like water. Rebuilding and replacing engines like crazy. No wonder the new Fords are killing 'em!

I've had it in my Prelude for about 4,000kms.. Haven't noticed any changes.. fuel economy still the same and the butt dyno doesn't feel any different. Been using M1 5w/10w30 before.. I am burning a little less oil than before.. So far I used 1L in the 4,000kms, but I'm hoping this will eventually go even lower.

Been using 0-40 for the past year in 3 cars. The first one is comming up for an oil change this week. Annual oil change @ about 12k miles.I will be sending a sample out and will post the results as soon as I get them.
First change will be on a 2000 Contour 2.5 V6. currently at about 36K total miles.
So far what I can see is - less than 1/2 of one qt consumption in the last 49 weeks/12k miles.
Oil takes MUCH longer to darken after the oil change compared to dino oil. I used to think oil turning black was due to detergent action and ring blow-by but now I think much of it is due to the oil itself blackening/degrading.
The other cars - also annual oil changes- are in the aunt Minnie driving cycle. They will be due in a few months - unless this analysis is negative!

quote:

Originally posted by sprintman:
Probably a good move in an LS1 as they don't seem to happy with 30W (At least the thinner 30W's anyway). Big problems with LS1's here in Oz using oil like water. Rebuilding and replacing engines like crazy. No wonder the new Fords are killing 'em!

Believe it or not, but my LS1 doesn't really use any oil. The most it's ever used was about a qrt. on a 7-7.5K chhange interval. On that interval, I did a lot of playing-1/4 mile, AutoX and alot of play time in the mountains.

Most of the time it uses a 1/2 qrt or so in 7K miles. Dunno, if I got lucky or what. I usually don't believe all the fairy tales about break-in procedures as I generally think the motors are pretty well "broken-in" by the time consumers get them. Maybe it does matter. Naaa, just coencidence. I'm usually not lucky though.
dunno.gif

LS1 problems are big news here. In all the car mags and several TV shows. I think they use 10W30 but HSV's use M1 10W30 (bad bad choice) Local Channel Manager for hp has a new engine as of last week. Dealer had already rebuilt his 1st engine but that was worse. If I had an LS1 I'd be trying Motul Synergie 6100 5W40 ot Redline 5W40 maybe, after run in with dino. I'll check with Holden what they do spec.

My 2002 LS1 has not consumed any noticeable amount of 5W-30 Mobil 1 or the 10W-30. Now with Schaeffer's 10W-30 PAO Blend it's still the same.

quote:

Why can 0w-40 M1 be run for 10k miles, but as I recall 5w-30 & 10w-30 M1 SS was reccomended to be changed at 7k or less.

It meets the MB 229.5 spec. I'm not sure though as to why. It's no better then any other oils in the Mobil lineup. I think 10w-30 is Mobil's best oil. It's solid as a rock and always has great numbers. In fact I think it's one of the best oils among any brand, period. I'd feel better about taking this oil out past 10k based on what I've seen. I don't like the 0w-40. It thins out too much.

[ May 11, 2003, 07:35 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back