Mobil 1 0w40 vs Mobil 1 10w40 HM

Status
Not open for further replies.
For a 1994 Audi S4 (2.2L DOHC 5cyl turbo motor, stock 227hp, extra boost on mine so apx 270hp). Around 170k on the motor.

I have used M1 0w40 in this car, and sometimes put in 5w40 TDT for track events. Wondering how the 10w40 HM compares to both the 0w40 and the 5w40 and if it may be a better choice for my car... any comments? The car does only city driving, less than 4000/yr so it probably doesn't matter, but I'm just curious.
Car is in Minneapolis, so temps neg 20 to +100 F.

Thanks
Erik

If you lived where I live, I MIGHT consider an unconditional change to the 10w oil. Where you are, well, given your winters, I'd stay with the 0w at least for that part of the year. For city driving, I'd just stay with the 0w-40 if that has served you well. As for track events, I'd think that depends upon whether they're done in the cold or the hot.

Hi,
erike - The two lubricants are very different "animals". You are already using the best one - and one of the best PCMOs ever made and available at a reasonable price

Staoy with it IMO

Stick with what you have or run the 0W-40. Don't bother with the 10W. I live in Minneapolis too and I have 0W-40 setup ready for BMW in the winter.

+1, the 10W is too thick for year-round use in your climate. I would say 0F is about the limit for it. OTOH, the 5W40 TDT is excellent for your application year-round, even better than M1 0W40, IMO. The UOAs on here show that 0W40 is more like a heavy 30W to begin with and shears more easily given the high levels of VII. May not be a big deal if your OCI are short, but why test it when the 5W40 TDT is fine for -20F. The 5W40 is also just as good or better than the 10W40 for summer since it uses better basestocks to begin with (more PAO like Delvac 1 5W40). IMO, you would only need to move to the 0W40, if you regularly saw -40F.

Originally Posted By: tonycarguy
But isnt the 10w40 more shear stable than 5w40? So that should make it better for track or summer, no?

Doubtful. The "old" formulation of TDT was identical to Delvac 1 5W40, Mobil's premier oil, which had a large % of PAO (the most of all the Mobil lines, IIRC). The "new" TDT is not identical to the new Delvac 1 ESP, but it still contains more PAO than the HM line IMO based on the price (higher) and UOAs I've seen here. The add pack is also more robust since it is a CJ4 oil.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Files/Mobil_1_Product_Guide.pdf

M1 0W-40 is the only recommended oil by both manufacturer and dealer for our SAAB....had good luck with it in 3 9-5s over 8 years, so I think I'll keep using it. Change every 5K, use a good filter, and no sign of the "sludge monster."

Originally Posted By: erika
For a 1994 Audi S4 (2.2L DOHC 5cyl turbo motor, stock 227hp, extra boost on mine so apx 270hp). Around 170k on the motor.

I have used M1 0w40 in this car, and sometimes put in 5w40 TDT for track events. Wondering how the 10w40 HM compares to both the 0w40 and the 5w40 and if it may be a better choice for my car... any comments? The car does only city driving, less than 4000/yr so it probably doesn't matter, but I'm just curious.
Car is in Minneapolis, so temps neg 20 to +100 F.

Thanks
Erik

if your car needs to start in -20F I would use 0w-40 or GC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back