Mobil 1 0W40 (purchased in Belgium) virgin sample

Status
Not open for further replies.
After posting in the wrong forum here I go again:p.

Better late than never. I forgot to post this one:). A few weeks ago I changed my oil and was really looking forward to the results! Unfortunately, the mechanics at my (ex-)dealer seem to have a total disregard for the clients wishes and threw my oil away before taking a sample
frown.gif

I'm having trouble displaying my report. Any how to available:)?
Oh I've found it, hang on:)...

Virginmobil10w40.jpg

Thank you for sharing this. Surprised at how high the TBN actually is, wow! Was the product you purchased sourced from France?

Originally Posted By: Jeroen
A few weeks ago I changed my oil and was really looking forward to the results! Unfortunately, the mechanics at my (ex-)dealer seem to have a total disregard for the clients wishes and threw my oil away before taking a sample
frown.gif

Seems to be the case everywhere. Either they cannot be bothered, or they just don't listen. Also, some service centres do not allow customers on the shop floor for insurance reasons.

Might be best to provide them with a labelled 50 ml container, and ask them to return it to you with a small portion of the oil that's been drained. That way, you can "remind" them.
wink.gif

Don't know its origins. Will check the 1L bottles when I get home (I threw away the 4L can already:)). TBN is a little higher than stated by mobil themselves, but I have no idea how accurate Blackstone is and I guess there is always the case of sample variance.

Falcon, They'll never see me there again. I personally handed them a hard copy of my e-mail when dropping of the car AND I called them on my way home because I had this funny feeling...

It was actually the desk employee who didn't bother to relay my message to the guys working on my car. I'm still a little upset I had to go to another dealer to swap their 5w30 ELF exellium for my Mobil oil grr.
Anyway, thanks for the tip, I always feel bad having to treat them like children and remind them about stuff which I clearly stated over the phone and such:)

Last edited:
Nice add pack and TBN! Viscosity good falling right in the middle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: toyotaguy
Is it me or does it seem like other countries get better made oils?

Nah, here in the U.S. we have Mobil 1, Amsoil, Redline etc.

I just met that the additive packs are better out of the usa. TBN seems higher. More zinc and Phos.

Falcon, the can says made in the EU but does not specify from where exactly...

It says API SJ/SL/SM/CF, ACEA A3/B3,A3/B4. So I suppose it would be the current version.

Do you know how much they sell their engine oil for? Last time in Australia I noticed they sell Mobil1 at AU$20 for 1L, and we get them here for what, $5-6 per quart (950ml), and if you buy in Walmart and have access to the $10 rebate, that's almost $12 per 5 qt. I'd rather keep our stuff for our price.

I think we're getting ripped off here in Belgium (again:p). 4L is about 98 Australian dollars. 1L is about 28 Australian dollars.

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS

Might be best to provide them with a labelled 50 ml container, and ask them to return it to you with a small portion of the oil that's been drained. That way, you can "remind" them.
wink.gif

this will not guarantee anything. They may forget, then throw in someone else's oil after you ask for your bottle. Or they may scoop the oil out of the drain pan that has been used on other cars

Originally Posted By: Jeroen
Falcon, the can says made in the EU but does not specify from where exactly...

Jeroen,
The first letter of the laser print at the bottom of the can denotes the site of origin:
J-Port Jerom(France)
P-Purfleet(England)
H-Hamburg(Germany)
E-Pernis(Holland)
G-Gravenchon(France)
N-Naantali(Finland)
U-Uddevalla(Sweden)
S-Serviburnu(Turkey)
The first digit-year of manufacture,the second-the month(1-9-January-September,А-October;В-November;С-December)...My bet is on Gravenchon,France..

Lets see the kind of OCI europeans consider normal over here would be near dissaterous, I guess we are spoiled by cheap oil and Oil companies sell us thinly additized oil for cheap. Is that some oil bottles have this written on the back side (like Castrol) "Not for sale outside of the Americas" ?

Originally Posted By: Dominik

Lets see the kind of OCI europeans consider normal over here would be near dissaterous, I guess we are spoiled by cheap oil and Oil companies sell us thinly additized oil for cheap. Is that some oil bottles have this written on the back side (like Castrol) "Not for sale outside of the Americas" ?

No worries, properly maintained vehicles have no problem outlasting our interest over here.

AFA NA Oils standing up:

Not my experience. Neither of my wife's vehicle engines made it past 50K without becoming a noisy oil burner in the past 7 years. Fastidious ~4.5K mi OCIs and quality conventional oils and filters did not work. One was a Toyota 2AZfe. Tough on oil: chain, flat tappets, VVT.

Last edited:
Maybe it's her driving...

The last vehicle I cared to keep past 50K was getting stellar analysis reports on oil that cost barely over a buck a quart and using filters that cost about $3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back