mobil 1 0w40 in v8 audi s4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone. Great to be posting on this forum, in a world of knowledge I never gave much thought to until recently. I look forward to learning a lot in the future. I have a multi part question but here is the background info...

I have a 2007 Audi s4 (4.2l v8) with 56k miles on it. Oil changes always conducted at proper interval. My shop I have taken it to since I have owned it has used lubro moly 5w40. I have never noticed any consumption issues with the car. I have recently started doing my own oil changes and have tried (on my very first OCI now...) Mobil 1 0w40. The car seems to be running just fine.

However...
1. I burned about a half quart in 3600 miles so far. I have never noticed any consumption before, should it be expected with 0w40?
2. It is actually thicker in operation (hths) vs the lubro moly, shouldn't it burn less?
3. In reference to 3, even though it is thicker in operation, would the NOAK (sp?) Compared to 5w40 indicate I would burn more?
4. I plan on doing an oil change on my next day off and taking a sample to send in for testing...and I'm almost spooked to switch back to LM 5W40. Think I'm just overreacting?

I appreciate any help! Does anyone have a used oil analysis of my combination?

Lubro-Moly is a good oil, don't worry about that. EVERY SINGLE TIME I change a vehicle to or from M1, I have had to top off, but never a second time. That's six entirely different engines I've changed the oil in and had to add quart or half sometime soon after.

M1's 0W-40 is a supreme-class motor oil. You're overreacting. By all means get a sample and post it in the UOA forum but wait about 7000 more miles so you don't completely waste it.

The Noak for the 0W-40 is lower than what your manufacturer recommends and that's all that matters. Some here will want you to believe a lower number is better. Whatever. I'm sure the M1 is lighter than the LM but I don't know the specs on the LM. My money is still on the 0W.

That Mobil 0w40 has been shown to be a great oil. It will last way longer than 3600 miles. Read up in the section that contains used oil analyses and you will see.
Changing it now would be too early for that oils life.
Congratulations on a great oil selection and by the way
welcome2.gif

Enjoy the reading

Sometimes changing brands will shows initial consumption. I would stay the course and run at least 7500 before any analysis. The Mobil 1 0W40 European Formula is an long drain type oil and won't be depleted yet.

How much would it cost you to get LM 5w40? I know the Mobil 1 0W40 is usually around $25/ jug at Walmart which makes it an huge values.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Sometimes changing brands will shows initial consumption. I would stay the course and run at least 7500 before any analysis. The Mobil 1 0W40 European Formula is an long drain type oil and won't be depleted yet.

How much would it cost you to get LM 5w40? I know the Mobil 1 0W40 is usually around $25/ jug at Walmart which makes it an huge values.

Unfortunately the closest place to get it is about 85 bucks for two jugs. Haven't seen it anywhere else except online.

Guess all of us s4 owners freak about consumption since it COULD mean scored cyllinders which equals a "death sentence" in these sleeved blocks....

Thanks for the input. Guess I can stay the course through the winter (0w40 would flow better at cold startup right?) And do some UOA's along the way...

No, both are 40 weight oils. A 0W will pump faster and flow with less effort being applied at its rated cold temp than a 5W. Most motors should benefit from an oil that pumps faster on a cold start. (Less wear).

I use Mobil 1 0W40 in my 90 Jaguar XJS V12 and it runs fantastic. The car runs so much smoother then when I used a syn 10W40 or even a 50 weight oil...

Like everyone else said, some initial consumption when changing to a new brand of oil is nothing to be alarmed about. Run the oil to your normal interval and use it for another interval. If it's still consuming, then think about changing back to LM or any other 5W-40 you can source locally.

dparm should be around shortly and he can provide specific experience as he had the same S4 as you do.

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
Like everyone else said, some initial consumption when changing to a new brand of oil is nothing to be alarmed about. Run the oil to your normal interval and use it for another interval. If it's still consuming, then think about changing back to LM or any other 5W-40 you can source locally.

dparm should be around shortly and he can provide specific experience as he had the same S4 as you do.

Dparm is our oil man over at audizine.com
grin.gif
Hes no stranger to the mobil 1 questions

It is an interesting phenomenon that when switching from one
type of engine oil to another, there is a period of adjustment.

The first 0W40 in Canada that I bought was Esso XD-3, mostly a
PAO product I would imagine.

Every vehicle I put that oil in, went through a liter between changes,
turned black right away and the engines had a burning smell for the first while.

The same thing happened when switching to Petro-Can's Group 3 5W40 and 0W40
or from a multi-grade to a single grade engine oil.

I heard later that Mobil acquired Exxon so they could learn how to make a synthetic oil.

Originally Posted By: williar
Another choice, and my preference, is made-in-Germany Castrol Syntec 0w30 (GC). It worked well in my 2.7t and is popular with the 4.2 crowd. It's slightly lighter than a 40w but is a very robust oil. Check it out!

Lets see that 2.7? got any pics?

I know you asked another poster for pics, but here's mine as I recently took some pictures for a possible sale.

These are my 3 season tires and wheels, with the wheels coming off of a B6 A4. I have a stage 1 tune with SAI and rear O2 sensors coded out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back