Mobil 1 0w40 in Canada?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems Imperial distributes Mobil 1 in Canada (link and article at bottom of this page)

In the first article posted,I thought that Mobil thinking 0W is the oil of the future, and a head Group Technical Advisor, prefers 0W-40 is interesting IMO

Exxon Mobil Improves its Synthetic Motor Oil

CHICAGO – A national promotion tour for a new Mobil 1 synthetic engine oil, which kicked-off here, focuses on "SuperSyn," a new ingredient said to enhance wear protection, wide temperature-range performance and improved protection against sludge and harmful deposits.

The new Mobil 1 oil will sell for close to $5 per quart as a "global best-ever long life" oil supplied in five viscosity grades: 0W-30, 0W-40, 5W-30, 10W-30 and 15W-50.

Tom Olszewski, Group Technical Advisor, ExxonMobil Lubricants and Specialties, says factory-fill customers range from the 0W-40, preferred by Porsche AG, Mercedes-Benz AMG and the Aston Martin brand.

For Chevrolet Corvettes, GM's choice is 5W30. For Ford Mustang Cobra R, the preference is 15W-50. And for Dodge Vipers it is 10W-30. The fundamental reasons for these differences were not explained.

Olszewski says the choice for American mass-market vehicles is 5W-30 because that is what the auto makers prefer and the company simply follows this in order not to deviate from auto makers' warranty requirements.

Ward’s was unable to learn whether auto makers that recommend 5W-30 oils will accept motorist use of 0W-40 oil in warranty situations.

But as general-use vehicles age and are beyond the warranty period, he suggests 10W-30. ExxonMobil believes the future will be with the 0W oils, Olszewski says, noting he prefers 0W-40.

ExxonMobil does not advocate deviation from auto maker recommendations for oil drain intervals. Most auto makers do not distinguish between synthetic and common mineral oils, except to say that motorists who do drain oil less often can expect better service with Mobil 1.

Beyond this, the subject becomes confusing and very complex because vehicles are used under a huge array of conditions. But in general, high-speed and high-temperature use recommends synthetics. From there, mineral oil changed regularly versus synthetic changed less often becomes difficult to evaluate without elaborate test data.

Asked whether the company's new SuperSyn ingredient permits use of significantly less or no ZDP, an anti-wear ingredient in motor oils, Olszewski says "No," because ZDP is inexpensive and there is no agreement that ZDP has meaningful negative impact on exhaust catalyst performance. General Motors Corp., however, tells Ward’s that ZDP in oil is a catalyst performance issue.

ExxonMobil commands 16% of the world passenger vehicle lubricant market versus 13% for Quater State/Pennzoil, 12% for BP/Castrol and 12% for Shell. Mobil has 63% of the synthetic oil market, however, which it has dominated since its introduction in 1973. Other players in the synthectic oil market are Castrol Syntec at 21%, Quater State at 5%, Valvoline at 5%, Pennzoil at 4% and others with 2%.

The new Mobil 1 will begin to show up in retail outlets this month with an easily recognized label featuring "SuperSyn" wording.

Imperial announces new Mobil 1 with SuperSyn now available in Canada

Toronto, Ontario, November 7, 2002 - Imperial Oil is pleased to announce that Mobil 1 with the new SuperSyn anti-wear system is now available in Canada. Designed to provide exceptional protection for engines in new, high performance cars as well as car engines with many years and kilometres of service, new Mobil 1 with SuperSyn excels under extreme high-stress, high-temperature conditions, providing additional engine wear protection. New Mobil 1 with SuperSyn also offers excellent low temperature performance ensuring quick cold starts and fast protection for engines when they need it most.

Development of the SuperSyn anti-wear system started on the race track, in response to requests from the drag-racing community where pressures and strains on an engine's moving parts are tremendous and engine failure is common. Using an experimental Mobil 1 SuperSyn formulation, the drag racers found that engine bearings and other lubricated parts were lasting longer.

Realizing that SuperSyn could add an extra element of protection to road-going passenger cars, a new formulation of Mobil 1 was developed with the proprietary SuperSyn anti-wear system. New Mobil 1 with SuperSyn is the 5th generation of Mobil 1 in its history and is the best motor oil to ever wear the Mobil 1 name.

"Canadian drivers want to make sure their engine has the best possible protection it can get, especially during the cold winter months," said Pat Brown, manager of lubricants and specialties at Imperial. "We are excited to be offering Mobil 1 with SuperSyn in Canada. This product offers outstanding low-temperature performance, in extreme and everyday service."

New Mobil 1 with SuperSyn exceeds the latest standards from the government, the oil industry and vehicle manufacturers, and is factory-filled in some of the world's finest luxury and performance automobiles including Cadillac, Mercedes-Benz AMG, Porsche, Aston Martin, Chevrolet Corvette and Dodge Viper.

At the race track, Mobil 1 is used exclusively by Team Penske in all of their race cars, by the General Motors' Corvette and Cadillac race teams and by the Formula 1 West McLaren Mercedes team. Mobil 1 is also a major sponsor in international racing series, including Formula 1, the Indy Racing League, the American LeMans Series, NASCAR and Canadian Formula Ford.

In Canada, Imperial Oil is the exclusive marketer of Mobil-branded lubricants, available at Esso retail outlets and participating mass merchants and retailers across the country. Mobil-brand products complement the lubricants and other petroleum products that Imperial currently markets under the Esso brand.

Imperial Oil is Canada's largest refiner and marketer of petroleum products, as well as a leading supplier of consumer and industrial lubricants sold primarily under the Esso and Mobil brands.

For more information, visit our website at www.mobil1.ca .

[ December 17, 2002, 11:32 PM: Message edited by: tenderloin ]

Well he is a Polish engineer after all.. Contrary to the "Polish" jokes out there, we have some smart people within our ethnic group.
grin.gif

Marketing plays a big part I guess.. but for my car with a 7500 redline I'd like to try the 0w40.

I haven't seen it in Walmart or Canadian Tire but I believe you can get it from a Mercedes Benz dealer (at a huge markup I'm sure!) There is a new MB dealer near my house actually, the dealer is at Mavis/Britannia.

quote:

Originally posted by tenderloin:
...Olszewski says the choice for American mass-market vehicles is 5W-30 because that is what the auto makers prefer and the company simply follows this in order not to deviate from auto makers' warranty requirements...But as general-use vehicles age and are beyond the warranty period, he suggests 10W-30...

But...BUT...BUT!....0w-30, 5w30,10w30 are all the same!
wink.gif
No wait...0w30 is MORE shear stable!
rolleyes.gif

So of course you would want to use the oil with "less" hydrodynamic film when out of warranty or with high mileage!
banghead.gif

Dear Customer:

Thanks for your request.

Mobil 1 0W-20 typical product data is not yet available.

The typical high temperature high shear viscosities (cP@150C, ASTM D 4683) of the Mobil 1 engine oils are as follows:

0W-30: 3.0
0W-40: 3.6
5W-30: 3.1
10W-30: 3.2
15W-50: 5.1

So at 150C under the conditions of the ASTM D 4683 test, Mobil 1 0W-30 has the lightest viscosity, although 0W-30, 0W-40, 5W-30, and 10W-30 are all within 0.6 cP.

The reason Mobil 1 0W-30 delivers the best fuel economy of the Mobil 1 line is because it has been tested against and met a stringent
European fuel efficiency standard - M111 - that requires triplicate test passing.

MJRoe
Technical Support Engineer

Exxon Technical Support:1-800-44Exxon Prompt#3

Mobil Technical Support:1-800-Mobil25 Prompt #3

quote:

...The reason Mobil 1 0W-30 delivers the best fuel economy of the Mobil 1 line is because it has been tested against and met a stringent
European fuel efficiency standard - M111 - that requires triplicate test passing.

Typical BS response of Mobil's worthless Tech staff.

That is not a REASON why it deliver best economy. It demonstrates that it does have better economy but how the H#$% does that tell you the reason for the better economy?? I think that guy needs some grammar lessons too or something...
banghead.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Jason Troxell:

quote:

...The reason Mobil 1 0W-30 delivers the best fuel economy of the Mobil 1 line is because it has been tested against and met a stringent

Typical BS response of Mobil's worthless Tech staff.

That is not a REASON why it deliver best economy. It demonstrates that it does have better economy but how the H#$% does that tell you the reason for the better economy?? I think that guy needs some grammar lessons too or something...
banghead.gif

In all fairness to this Mobil "tech" person, I suspect what he was trying to say was "The reason Mobil claims that Mobil 1 0w30 delivers the best fuel economy..."

That the 0w30 passes the M111 test is the reason for the claim.
smile.gif

Yes, you can purchase the M-1 0-40 at either the local M-B/Porsche dealerships or directly from Imperial Oil Headquarters for less...(401/Keele area if my memory serves me correctly)...but, you can only purchase in bulk here ie. cases

No, you can buy 1 case, just not a 1L bottle. I think it's a case of 12 M-1 0-40 and the price is reasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back