Mobil 1 0W40 ESP or 5W30 ESP For My Truck?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicle: 2016 Chevy Colorado with 2.8L DIesel engine. 2 wheel drive. Some light towing.

Sweet engine, I've seen over 30 mpg in highway driving, up to 34 sometimes.
I have used up the free dealer, generic, AC Delco Dexos2 oil changes for this vehicle. From what I understand, the most readily available, premium oil for this vehicle would be Mobil 1 5W30 ESP. That is going to be my "go to" oil moving forward. However:

When I look at the Mobil 1 website, I notice that there is another Dexos2 oil listed. There is that Mobil 1 0W40 ESP - also listed Dexos2. Slightly higher HT/HS, Corvette recommended. For kicks, when I called an ExxonMobil distributor, I was shocked to see that it cheaper than the 5W30 ESP. $46/6 quarts vs $54/6 quarts. Neither one cheap, but as they say, " oil is still cheaper than engine parts".

ONCE I AM PAST WARRANTY, is the 0W40 a better choice? I note that the very similar, (origin) Ram diesel oil recommendation is now 5W40, up from 5W30. Why?

To complicate it more, the discontinued, Mobil 1 5W30 ESP Formula has a both a higher listed flash point, HT/HS and lower ash content (.60) than the two listed above. I can still get my hands on some if it is worth (out of warranty). There is even a discontinued Mobil 1 5W40 ESP available at some places.

What to do?

That's the lowest price I have heard of for the new 0w40 ESP Formula! Where is this distributor? (so I can share it with my friends on the Corvette Forum that have been searching for a good price on this oil)

I'm running the better version of the 5w30 ESP Formula in mine currently but would consider going to the new 0w40 if I could get it for less.

Originally Posted by Best F100
Vehicle: 2016 Chevy Colorado with 2.8L DIesel engine. 2 wheel drive. Some light towing.

I have used up the free dealer, generic, AC Delco Dexos2 oil changes for this vehicle. From what I understand, the most readily available, premium oil for this vehicle would be Mobil 1 5W30 ESP. That is going to be my "go to" oil moving forward. However:

When I look at the Mobil 1 website, I notice that there is another Dexos2 oil listed. There is that Mobil 1 0W40 ESP - also listed Dexos2. Slightly higher HT/HS, Corvette recommended. For kicks, when I called an ExxonMobil distributor, I was shocked to see that it cheaper than the 5W30 ESP. $46/6 quarts vs $54/6 quarts. Neither one cheap, but as they say, " oil is still cheaper than engine parts".

ONCE I AM PAST WARRANTY, is the 0W40 a better choice? I note that the very similar, (origin) Ram diesel oil recommendation is now 5W40, up from 5W30. Why?

To complicate it more, the discontinued, Mobil 1 5W30 ESP Formula has a both a higher listed flash point, HT/HS and lower ash content (.60) than the two listed above. I can still get my hands on some if it is worth (out of warranty). There is even a discontinued Mobil 1 5W40 ESP available at some places.

What to do?

I looked up the ESP 0W40 and it's SM C3 rated. FYI! I read about the Dexos 2 as mentioned above. Has a high (176) viscosity index as expected being the 0W40 viscosity.

Sure.

I was quoted those prices today by the Keystops ExxonMobil distributor in downtown Nashville, TN (on 3rd Avenue). I have bought from them before. Quite a big place. Good folks there. When I asked had they sold any 0W40 ESP, they said only to a couple of dealers.

As Ronald Reagan said, "Trust, but Verify" (those prices).

I am surprised Mobil 1 ESP 0W40 is not more widely available in North America. It is an ideal universal oil for that region.

If you are looking for a better price for Dexos 2 5w30 consider this:

904AC52E-B737-4497-9A11-262CFAD4C7F1.jpeg

52312D08-75D0-4C24-882B-090D540A7DC5.jpeg

Originally Posted by ChemLabNL
I am surprised Mobil 1 ESP 0W40 is not more widely available in North America. It is an ideal universal oil for that region.

Not same 0W40. What he is talking about is Corvette specific oil.

What to do?

Use 5W30. It will have better NOACK (5.6%) and HTHS is 3.58cp compared to 3.53cp in 0W40.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by edyvw

What to do?

Use 5W30. It will have better NOACK (5.6%) and HTHS is 3.58cp compared to 3.53cp in 0W40.

Thanks for the recommendation. However, according to the current PDS I just looked at, the 5W30 ESP has been watered down to a 3.5(0) HTHS. You still prefer it over the 0W40 ESP & it's 3.53 HTHS?

It makes the old 5W30 ESP Formula look like the clear winner - at least on paper, with its 3.58 HTHS & stout 254C flash point - now "dumbed down" to 239C. Looks like the bean counters (accountants) had the last word on the formulation to me!

What to do?

Thanks for the recommendation. However, according to the current PDS I just looked at, the 5W30 ESP has been watered down to a 3.5(0) HTHS. You still prefer it over the 0W40 ESP & it's 3.53 HTHS?

It makes the old 5W30 ESP Formula look like the clear winner - at least on paper, with its 3.58 HTHS & stout 254C flash point - now "dumbed down" to 239C. Looks like the bean counters (accountants) had the last word on the formulation to me!

Yep that's what Mobil does. They did the same thing with D1 ESP with the CK-4 rollout.

You can always move up to 5w40 if you want higher HTHS. NOACK is pretty good on this stuff.

https://www.ravenol.de/en/products/usage/d/Product/show/p/ravenol-vmo-sae-5w-40.html

Valvoline also makes a Dexos 2 5w40.

The one spec that bothers me the most about the reformulation is that the new version now has 0.8% SA instead of 0.6%. I feel the lower SA is more beneficial for direct injection.

I bet I'll be able to find the original 5w30 ESP Formula here in Canada for quite a while though, since new formulations of oils generally don't arrive here right away. When the new formula does arrive, I might consider switching over to Pennzoil Euro L 5w30 instead, it's considerably cheaper, instead of costing $17.29 per liter, Pennzoil is often on sale for $6.40 per liter (because it comes in a 5L jug)

What to do?

Oh well, I was afraid Mobil1 will do same with 5W30 ESP as it did with 0W40.
Obviously 5W30 is now GTL based and not VISOM based.
Yeah, I would use 0W40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back