Mobil 1 0W40, 5055 mi, Infiniti G37S VQ37HR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mobil 1 OW40 5055mi

Measured slightly low viscosity. My previous fill was Motul 5W40 which usually holds up well but also showed breakdown after one track day. Initially I thought maybe the Motul was showing low viscosity due to dilution from a previous fill, but the M1 is also showing some breakdown. Am I reading this analysis correctly? Thoughts?

This thing got an oil cooler? that would explain the copper.

Not bad results for an engine that is known to be hard on oil.

M1 0W-40 does usually shear to 11-12 cst; it's just the nature of the beast, and not a problem.

I'd give M1 TDT 5W-40 a try, and see how it does for comparison.

No oil cooler. I do monitor temps during runs and have temps 220 - 240 F on occasion but not for this particular fill.

Thanks for the comment about the behavior of M1 0W40. I had heard similar reports before. And this report confirms what everyone has been saying about this engine on oil, which is why I run out of spec.

I do also monitor pressure and operating pressure has been within spec at temp.

Thanks for your informative post. Nice results overall.

I wonder how Valvoline SynPower, MST, 5w-40 would hold up for 5K-6K instead of Mobil 1, 0W-40?

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers!

Already on it. Thanks! Will keep you posted.

Last edited:
Iron -10, Copper - 28, Lead - 8, viscosity down to a 30 weight ...

and you guys say Mobil 1 0W-40 is the best oil on the market?
35.gif

I haven't tried GC. I couldn't find the Euro version last time I went looking.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

35.gif

You must be new, welcome to BITOG!
welcome2.gif

Using standard UOAs to determine wear levels is a common fallacy, especially without knowing the "upper limits". Even more true when comparing different engines and different oils.

35.gif

How did you come to the conclusion that it was the oil's fault?

As for the viscosity, this oil starts out as thin 40. Now it's showing as thick 30. Slight viscosity fluctuations are quite normal. No oil is 100% stable.

Originally Posted By: BobFout

35.gif

You must be new, welcome to BITOG!
welcome2.gif

lol.gif

Are the specs on this engine the exact same as the 370z? Nissan dealers are pushing their "Ester" for this motor. The local dealer makes it sound like their oil is pure ester oil.

Not sure the extra copper is whear ... I'd expect the lead to be elevated, too. Tin is zero so it's not a bronze component that's wearing.

Maybe a chemical reaction from the add-pack or the add-pack and the byproducts of combustion?

I suspect the loss of viscosity may be some fuel contamination that does not always show up on UOAs.

A pure ester oil would likely be too aggressive on soft metals ... look at Red Line Oil UOAs. It would also be $10+ per quart retail.

The specs are the same. I have not heard good things about Nissan's ester oil although to be clear, I have never used it myself. The opinion is just from a number of users on here and on other enthusiast websites and the consensus is that Nissan's ester oil shears quickly and does not hold up even under normal driving conditions.

Most VQ drivers who use ester based usually recommend Redline or Motul. Most of the track drivers I have spoken with recommend Motul as well, but it is extremely expensive.

The ester in the Nissan oil is simply a friction reducing additive. It's not a base oil. It's meant to be good at friction reduction on DLC surfaces in the Nissan engines that use it. Other than possible improved fuel economy, the oil appears to perform with lackluster and it's very overpriced. Even people on BITOG were fooled by what Nissan meant by "ester" by assuming it was a base oil, making it somewhat like Red Line and some Motul oils. That's a shame.

With the high moly, this oil undoubtedly has a lot of the previous Motul in it.

Anyway it's a good report with the exception of the high Cu. Since you're running M1 0W-40 again, a UOA of the second run will be more telling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back