Mobil 1 0w40 - 2002 VW GTI - 3000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys,
I'm posting this up for a friend of mine.
This Mobil 1 0w40 was run just under 3000 miles.

This GTI is driven almost daily, has a full exhaust system & a mild ~17 psi tune. No other mods.

Iron is high, and it seems that the oil has sheared down quite a bit especially considering it was run under 3k miles.

Thoughts?

Doug%20GTI%20UOA.jpg

I WOULD RESAMPLE IN ANOTHER 3000 TO SEE IF YOU POSSIBLY HAVE A PARTICLE STREAK ON YOUR HANDS OR IF THIS ENGINE SETUP/ DRIVING STYLE REQUIRES LOWER OCI'S. FUEL DILUTION IS ON THE BORDERLINE BUT FOR A MODIFIED TURBO SETUP THIS IS TO BE EXPECTED. IF 3000 OCI'S DONT PROVE BETTER RESULTS IN THE FUTURE I WOULD RECOMEND CHANGING TO 1500 INTERVALS OR PERHAPS A DIFFERENT OIL. I DONT KNOW IF THEIR IS A M1 EP IN THAT WEIGHT BUT IF THEIR IS I WOULD CHOOSE THAT OIL AS AN ALTERNATIVE OR EVEN RTS.

Quote:
it seems that the oil has sheared down quite a bit

I'm going to come right out and sound like a noob, but what do you look at to see if the oil has sheared down?

THE CST VISCOSITY RANGE IS 11.6-14.8 ACCORDING TO BLACKSTONE. SO THE OIL STARTED OUT SOMEWHERE BETWEEN THERE. NOW IT IS 11.78 WHICH IS ALMOST OUT OF GRADE.

Last edited:
I haven't been watching 1.8t UOAs but 39ppm in 3000 miles does seem high to me. Maybe go with an oil with a higher HTHS. If he wants to stick with the Mobil family, M1 5W40 TDT may give better results.

Here is an old UOA of a 3000 mile run on redline 5W40 on a highly modified 1.8t

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=221810&fpart=1

btw, projectcar, using all caps sounds like you are YELLING

Find out why the fuel dilution is so high. There are many possible causes; some potential causes can be helped and others cannot. At least correct any that can be helped.

The high iron is probably strongly related to the amount of fuel dilution; not because of it lowering viscosity but because of a negative effect on anti-wear chemistry. A less expensive and potentially better protecting oil (for this particular guy's engine) like Rotella T 5W-40 is what I recommend trying.

Remember, he is running a custom ECU tune...and depending on the tuner, there is a lot of variability going on. Might be running a bit rich for safety reasons associated with running higher boost.

Thanks for the input guys.

The GTI owner switched to Amsoil Euro 5w40 after draining out this Mobil 1 0w40.

I'll give him a call now to see if I can get some details on how long the car has been tuned.

As for which M1 0w40 it is, I believe M1 only makes this one 0w40 . The other 40 weights are a 5w40. This is the one they claim meets the specs for Mercedes, BMW, Porsche, VW, etc...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
High Fe and Shear on M1 0w-40. Big surprise.

That was my reaction as well...

As for how long the car has been tuned, its been about 2 years & 30k miles. Its an APR / V-tune tune.

Signature M1 0w40 results. Not sure how much you can really determine about engine wear though from UOA's. Still on the fence about that.

Originally Posted By: buster
Signature M1 0w40 results. Not sure how much you can really determine about engine wear though from UOA's. Still on the fence about that.

Wonder why my Iron was 7 on a nearly 6k mile run in a turbo application with this oil?

Originally Posted By: TurboLuver
Wonder why my Iron was 7 on a nearly 6k mile run in a turbo application with this oil?

Was it the same engine with the same tune? I think the fuel dilution comments and tune as said above sound like good avenues to question if they are affecting iron levels. Busters comments are right also IMO. The elevated Fe levels should be a trigger to ask questions IMO, but may not be an indicator of real engine wear.

Originally Posted By: saaber1
Originally Posted By: TurboLuver

Was it the same engine with the same tune? I think the fuel dilution comments and tune as said above sound like good avenues to question if they are affecting iron levels. Busters comments are right also IMO. The elevated Fe levels should be a trigger to ask questions IMO, but may not be an indicator of real engine wear.

No it's not the same engine w/ the same tune, but it is a turbo'd application with a staged tune, which is similar in general, or at least more so than turbo vs NA.

It seemed to me that buster was making a point as to the high Iron in some M1 UOA's ("Signature M1 0w40 results") and I was simply pointing out that my UOA didn't show Fe as being high in my run, so if it's the oil causing the high Fe then what gives?
I agree with others in the thread that it is likely a rich tune causing the numbers and not engine wear or the oil per say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back