Mobil 1 0w30

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patman

Staff member
This seems to be the lost forgotten oil, since nobody here really mentions it, and honestly I don't think it's an oil of much use to too many people. Is anyone using it and planning an oil analysis?

A guy in my car club works for Imperial Oil, and he keeps trying to tell me that Mobil 1 0w30 is better for high performance than 5w30 and 10w30! One of his points was that it was thicker at 100c, although it's so close I can't see the difference (0w30 is 10.1, 5w30 and 10w30 are 9.7 and 9.8)

I keep trying to tell him that the 0w30 contains more VII and even if it's slightly thicker now, it'll quickly thin out to a 0w20.

I believe he works more in the accounting side of things, not the technical side, so his comments are probably more of a hunch than any factual info he has.

But I'd still be interested in hearing your thoughts on this. I've never heard any mention on here that the 0w30 uses any better base stock than the 5w30 and 10w30, so to me it seems like a bad choice for hard driven cars.

I use the 0W30 on my 97 F150 4.6L in the Fall/Winter and 5W30 in Spring/Summer. Although I'm probably getting ready to go 5W30 Fall/Winter, 10W30 Spring/Summer as I'm approaching 80k.

Patman, I have thought about putting 0W30 Mobil 1 in my Acura Intgra on the next change, to see if my gas mileage improves. I am currently running Mobil 1 5W30, and had some good analysis results with this oil. My only concern with the 0W30 is using it here in Savannah during the summer. With the heat index, it can get up to 110 during July and August. Maybe I could run this oil in the car during these months to see how it holds up. -Joe

Patman,

As MoleKule has pointed out in the thread where I speculate that the VI of the finished oil may indicate the level of VI improver used, Mobil has the ability to blend Group IV and Group V base oils to obtain virtually any finished viscosity without the use of VI improvers. The question is, do they?

I phoned Mobil's tech line yesterday and was told that no VI improvers are used in ANY Mobil 1 grade. Another poster called them and was told that ALL Xw30 grades have some (though very little) VI improver.
confused.gif

If my theory in the above mentioned thread is correct, and the finished VI of an oil does indicate the level of VI improver used, then it would follow that Mobil 1 10w30 has the least, or possibly none. However, that's just a theory. Mobil could indeed obtain most (if not all) of the 0 to 30 spread with the base oil blend, so that the finished 0w30 would require just as little VI improver as the 10w30. But, again, in the absence of any forthcoming info from ExxonMobil, it's all speculation.

Is it possible that, (like Amsoil and their 0W30 Series 2000) it has a beefier additive package then the regular 5W and 10W oils?

I use the 0W30 Amsoil year round and summers can get hot in VA. Analysis has proven fine for this oil at 9000 mile interval.

If 0w30 is the European formula like the 0w40, then the oil has a different formula for even longer drains than the 5w30 according to the European car manufacturers maintenance schedules. I'm going to try the 0w40 in the future since they now sell it at Autozone.

Leo

[ February 04, 2003, 01:29 PM: Message edited by: pedaltothemetal ]

quote:

Originally posted by pedaltothemetal:
If 0w30 is the European formula like the 0w40, then the oil has a different formula for even longer drains than the 5w30 according to the European car manufacturers maintenance schedules. I'm going to try the 0w40 in the future since they now sell it at Autozone.

Leo

Keep something in mind: Mobil 1 0w30, 5w30, and 10w30 all meet the ACEA A5 standard. A5's specs are exactly the same as A3 with the exception of HT/HS. The only indication we have that 0w40 meets more stringent specs than A3 and A5 is that it meets MB 229.5. This leads me to conclude that under the right conditions, ALL grades of Mobil 1 are capable of extended drain performance as stipulated by the ACEA in A5 or A3.

Patman, where do you get the 0-30 from? Imperial oil directly as the 0-40? As I don't see it on the shelves anywhere.

I think the 0-30 came out way before the 0-40 did and was exclusively to illustrate extreme cold properties of synthetics. As far as the 0-40...yeah, I can see some relation to the 0-30.

So would that make the 5-30 and 10-30 brother and sister as well?

Dr.T, in Toronto you can pick up the "exotic" :)blends like 0w30/40 in a retail Noco outlet. There was a store at the Finch/Keele Esso refinery but they have moved to the Noco location in the Kipling/Queensway area. I have the number for them at home if you need it. I will be picking up some 0W40 soon for my Prelude.
canada.gif

Hey, that's great...way more local. Will need to change out the rear diff. soon with M-1 gear lube...can't get that anywhere else either. Can you post the number.

I might run it next being I'm about to send off a sample of S2000 this weekend. I still havn't decided what oil I'm going to run from here on out so I might give it a shot. I'm an indecisive fool....
tongue.gif

I could have good comparisons of this and S2000 in 1.5 months.
smile.gif

[ February 04, 2003, 06:44 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Patman, last Friday I mailed off VOA and UOA (from an Acura Legend) samples of M1 SS 0W-30. I will also get analysis of it in a new Honda soon.

I really want to see results of this oil. I'm curious to how the SS with Moly holds up against S2000. I've decided I am going to test this oil next under the exact same driving conditions and filter (Amsoil). 8K miles.
smile.gif

[ February 04, 2003, 09:07 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

I think 0w30 and 0w40 are brothers while 0w30 and 5w30 are cousins based upon reading the specs. Since 0w40 is arguably the most advanced formula they sell, I would say that 0w30 is the 2nd most advanced. I would have no problem running 0w30 in any application where 5w30 M1 or 10w30 M1 performance was satisfactory.

when i first got my current car i put the 0-w30 in the car... hottest time of summer, 90-100 degrees. i guess it did ok, i didnt notice anything outta the ordinary.

yea, no 0w-40 around chicagoland in wal marts, only autozone.... luckily i get the mobil 1 tri-syn 0-40 for free...

i believe mobil 1 0w-40 came long before the 0w-30....

at my work there is an OLD OLD mobil 1 pamphlet, must be 4+ years old... shows some mechanic pouring a 5 quart jug of "mobil 1 0w-40" into a mercedes... was a plain bottle, no tri-synthetic or anything. ill try to get it if i can.

quote:

Originally posted by Quick_lude:

quote:

Originally posted by ryansride2017:
Local Wal-Marts have M1 0W30 on the shelves, but not 0W40.

Is this in Canada?

Here is the number for the Noco outlet that stores 0w30 and 0w40 for us GTA peeps..
canada.gif

416 201 9900 18004611305

Where is this store located though?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back