Mobil 1 0w30, 2001 Honda Accord EX 2.4, 5,420 miles/oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
First oil analysis from oldest daughter's recently purchased used 2001 Honda Accord EX 4 cylinder. Car had 37,723 miles, with 5,420 miles on the Mobil 1 SS 0w30. Blackstone did the analysis.

Report is nothing exciting, but I post it because I do not see many UOA's with Mobil 1 0w30. I usually use Amsoil, but used Mobil 1 due to quick availability amd shortage of time ... mine.

Posting format: our car / Blackstone univerals

Aluminum 4/4
Chromium 1/1
Iron 9/9
Copper 4/3
Lead 3/1
Tin 0/1
Molybdenum 63/90
Nickel 0/0
Manganese 0/3
Silver 0/0
Titanium 0/0
Potassium 2/1
Boron 89/68
Silicon 8/12
Sodium 5/12
Calcium 1975/2595
Magnesium 6/54
Phosphorus 621/742
Zinc 707/877
Barium 0/0

Viscosity @210 F s/b: 55-60 was: 57.5
Flashpoint s/b: >360 was: 390
Fuel% s/b: Antifreeze s/b: 0 was: 0
Water: s/b Insolubles s/b:
Comments:
Steve, looks like you bought a good one. No problems showed up in this sample from the Accord. All wear read right around averages for this type of engine, which is a very good indication of normal wearing parts. The universal averages show normal wear after 6200 miles on the oil. Insolubles, oil oxidation due to heat, use, and blow-by, were normal at 0.5%, showing good oil filtration. No fuel dilution or anti-freeze was found. The TBN read 4.7, so the oil still has plenty of active additive. Oil changes at 5000-7000 miles won't be a problem for this Honda.

I forgot to mention, oil filter used was Napa Gold.

Both daugher's are having good luck w/ 4 cylinder Accords.

Any comments?
Steve

Nice report. If your looking to go further, I'd use the Mobil 1 EP oil, other wise stick with this. Only thing I don't like with this report is the low Flash Point.

[ March 18, 2005, 07:20 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

The report looks good overall. But you really should be running the Mobil 1 for longer than the 5,000+/- range. As far as flashpoints, as Buster pointed out, I've noticed that various Mobil 1 oils seem to lose their VOA flashpoints fairly early into the oil usage
dunno.gif
. My only concern with your UOA is the insolubles are high for only 5420 miles. Overall I think this oil did great and would use it with even longer OCI's, but perhaps with a better oil filter. Barring a better oil filter since I see you're using a Napa Gold, which is usually a Wix, maybe you can use Lube Control, LC, to control the insoluables.

Whimsey

You read my mind, Whimsey. When I changed the oil at sample time, I went back with M1 0w30 again, and added 8oz. of LC.

I used a Napa Gold filter again, but may have to consider going w/ an Amsoil filter next time if the insolubles aren't in check this time.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
Compared to your Amsoil run, Amsoil had 2.5 the mileage and the same wear as the Mobil 1 with only 5,500 on it. Seems like your Honda does prefer the TSO.

What UOA are you refering to Buster? The TSO UOA is a differnt car.
I would like to see the second run of the M1 0w30 with the LC usage in this honda. The car was purchased used so who knows the load that was put on the oil on this first fill, perhaps this contributed to the insolubles?? TBN is outstanding for a blackstone report nonetheless. and I bet this second run could easily go 10k.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
Sorry, you right. My fault.

No prob. Looking at the TSO post it doesn't appear I will see the long interval from this Honda with the M1. In a good engine, OIL is oil
shocked.gif

Your abosultely right. Look at the Schaeffer's report I just bumped up. Oustanding little engine...actually big for a 4cyl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back