Mobil 1 0W20 HM + Fram ULTRA XG9641 how long of an OCI?

hello, my buddy got this used 2006 mazda 3 with the 2.3l, we went with mobil 1 0w20 high mileage (it was on sale ) + a fram ultra xg9641 for his first oil change. the car has 95,000 miles on it

He strictly does short tripping and all city driving. What is a safe mileage to do for the first oci? since its the first oci maybe he should go less time to get the engine clean because we dont know what oil the people used before? or is the oil and filter robust enough to skip that step?

thx

5,000 miles or 1 year, whichever comes first + send a sample of that oil off for analysis when its changed

Thanks for the reply y’all. Is it only 5000 like ish because of the oil? Or is it because of the first oil change that we have done personally since it’s a used car? I know for sure we used the best fram filter which I thought can go way longer?

thanks

I'd go at least 7500 miles or 1 year on it, for it being full syn 10k or more would probably be fine actually. My dad had a 2010 escape through his company and he was going 7500miles on conventional (although it was mostly highway miles) and the engine made it to 100k without seizing up before he turned it in, so 7500 or one year on full syn should be a cake walk, these engines are notoriously NOT hard on oil.

Id do 6k max. Also that old engine would appreciate the higher hths of a 5w-30 and wouldn't suffer a single I'll effect.

In Mexico those mazda 2.3l literally stated up to 20w-50 since that engine doesn't have vvt and is only dohc if I'm not mistaken. I believe the lincoln or mercury ones later on did get a vvt version.

Thanks for the reply y’all. Is it only 5000 like ish because of the oil? Or is it because of the first oil change that we have done personally since it’s a used car? I know for sure we used the best fram filter which I thought can go way longer?

thanks
Because of all city miles & old car.

Id do 6k max. Also that old engine would appreciate the higher hths of a 5w-30 and wouldn't suffer a single I'll effect.

In Mexico those mazda 2.3l literally stated up to 20w-50 since that engine doesn't have vvt and is only dohc if I'm not mistaken. I believe the lincoln or mercury ones later on did get a vvt version.
The 2.3 Duratech in my 2007 Fusion does have VVT. Same engine as the Mazda. I use 20wt M1 oils at 10K OCIs with great success.

Since it’s the first oil change. How does the top end look? Take the oil cap and look. If it’s dirty I wouldn’t go very long maybe 3K. If it’s clean your guess is as good as mine, lol.

If its clean/once its clean to start with - 10K use the filter for 20.

Last edited:
Based on some replies above, I'd never change oil in that car. He bought it WITH oil why waste it? Or can go safely 40k to 50k OCI/junk yard whichever comes last.

I'd run the oil 5k miles, sample and change the oil. Get a TBN report and base the OCI on that if the driving conditions are going to be the same going forward.

Back