-->Mobil 1 0w20 "Green Cap?<--

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw Mobil 1 0w20 "Green Cap" at Walmart. Good oil, say compared to Pennz. Plat. 5w-20?

Seems to be at a similar price point.
Apps. would be for a Ford/Mazda 3.0l Duratec V6 spec'ed for 5w-20.

Drew

From Mobile 1 Website:

"Haven’t you been offering Mobil 1 0W-20 and Mobil 1 0W-30 already? What’s different about Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy?

They are the same formulations as the products marketed prior to 2008. As the importance of fuel economy has increased, we felt it was important to communicate to consumers which products in the Mobil 1 family offer the greatest potential for improved fuel economy. Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy oils are engineered to deliver outstanding engine protection while improving fuel economy."

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
100% marketing, 0% new & improved ??

Correct.

Whew. I had a jug of 0w-30 AFE in my hand yesterday at the Chinese Import Emporium. Good thing I resisted the urge* to buy it.

*see, you CAN resist the urge to buy oil.
grin2.gif

I was about to post concerning this myself. I have a long drive to Wisconsin coming up, and want to ring every mile out of the Police Interceptor.

I have a change of the Mobil 1 0-20, I never got around to using this past winter. I was about to change it, when I saw the "new" Mobil 1 packaging.

I, too was curious, if they had changed the formulation. Sounds like nothing but a prettier bottle.
whistle.gif

Last edited:
This marketing of Mobil may not be all bad. Sure, the 0w-20/0w-30 are the same SM rated oils but in a green bottle. To us, it's a complete yawner.

To the general public, this may put 0w oils in a positive light and will start killing the notion that "0w oils are too thin". All in all, not a bad thing.

Quote:
To the general public, this may put 0w oils in a positive light and will start killing the notion that "0w oils are too thin". All in all, not a bad thing.

Thats what i'm thinking..
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: MillerMan
is it a bad thing that the formula is the same?

Not at all are you kidding,,i've had great results with the "old"
0w30 grey cap,,have over 50,000 combined miles on it,mileage is
good,low to no valve train noise and clean internals,no UOA's
cause i only do 5-6k OCI's.

was going to use 10w30 HM this summer but just may try the
green out see what happens..this is a great oil..

You know that it is better because of the new green motif! I like it. I also decided to get some and do my first filter and oil change in our new CX-7.

P.S. This is one fantastic site! I have learned so much with all the countless hours in reading. I also was on the fence about the thinner oils until someone left a link to Dr. Haas's oil primer. I had to dig up an old(1996) book that I had on automotive fluids and re-read the section on oil and it jived exactly with what Dr. Haas said. I'm 51 and have been working on cars all my life, can you just imagine the look on my face after I read what Dr. Haas had to say???

Originally Posted By: garyoNC
You know that it is better because of the new green motif! I like it. I also decided to get some and do my first filter and oil change in our new CX-7.

P.S. This is one fantastic site! I have learned so much with all the countless hours in reading. I also was on the fence about the thinner oils until someone left a link to Dr. Haas's oil primer. I had to dig up an old(1996) book that I had on automotive fluids and re-read the section on oil and it jived exactly with what Dr. Haas said. I'm 51 and have been working on cars all my life, can you just imagine the look on my face after I read what Dr. Haas had to say???

welcome2.gif

When the SM versions of Mobil-1 came out the 0W-20 was nowhere to be found as they had done a 5W-20 Mobil-1 instead. Back then when we discussed it the thought was that customers with cars that called for 5W-20 wouldn't buy 0W-20 because it was "too thin". It is amazing how many "Car Guys and Gals" have that all wrong as well.

Now with fuel economy a hot button issue Mobil has brought back a 0W-20 Mobil-1. The 0W-30 had also all but disappeared from retail shelves because people thought "I gotta use 5W-30 or 10W-30, 0W-30 is too thin." Ignorance is aggravating :(.

Personally I just picked up five quarts of M-1 0W-20 and a Mobil-1 oil filer for under $20 total after rebate at Kragen. Darn good deal. I'm going to run it 7,500 miles in our Honda and if I remember I will do a UOA at the end for fun.

I see plenty of M1 0w-30 green cap at stores in my area now, fleet farm and wallymart for example

up here in the north country 0w is great for winter

Originally Posted By: garyoNC

Run before the addiction sets in hard. . .
wink.gif
grin2.gif

Seriously, welcome and enjoy.

i noticed the big end cap of 0w20 at chinamart today as well!
so i instantly came and looked on here. might be good in the ol' 4.6L explorer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back