Mobil 1 0w20, 3366 miles, 2012 Mazda 3 Sky-G 2.0L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for sharing!

I just bought a 2012 3 skyactiv with the MTX and 15k miles on the odometer. I do more highway driving. I'll try and get a UOA posted when I hit the 7,500 mile mark and change the oil.

Does this car also have the start-stop feature? That can also contribute to fuel dilution.

Your fuel dilution is not that high. We have seen much higher here, in F-150 trucks with the turbo engine.

The U.S. version Skyactiv does not have the start-stop feature, but it is available in other parts of the world.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I think a 30 grade is a better oil for a DI engine.

Based on what we see here it is hard to disagree!

I think so. Now we have another problem coming soon to be looking for a cure, stop start technology. Someone please tell me how that can possibly be good for an engine? Honestly I really don't care if I have to pay a few extra $$ a week at the pump. I'd rather not have this new technology eventually rammed down my throat. Is the fuel savings going to outweigh the cost of starters, batteries and additional engine wear? I guess the powers that are pushing for higher fuel economy don't care about that.

I got a pretty generic response from Mazda regarding the UOA.

Quote:

Hello Derek,

Thank you for contacting Mazda.

We would not recommend using any other viscosity of oil than what is stated in your owner's manual. We would also suggest taking note of the mileage you perform your oil changes and keep receipts of your the oil purchase for the vehicle as mentioned in your warranty booklet.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to give us a call at the number below.

Best Regards,
Dan
Customer Assistance Representative
Mazda North American Operations
(800) 222-5500, X1178

I guess I will continue using 0W-20 (trying their new kind next time) and continue to keep records of all my oil changes and receipts.

Derek

I think so. Now we have another problem coming soon to be looking for a cure, stop start technology. Someone please tell me how that can possibly be good for an engine? Honestly I really don't care if I have to pay a few extra $$ a week at the pump. I'd rather not have this new technology eventually rammed down my throat. Is the fuel savings going to outweigh the cost of starters, batteries and additional engine wear? I guess the powers that are pushing for higher fuel economy don't care about that.

Great part about the Mazda start stop technology is that it does not use the starter. If I recall correctly they have patented their system which stops the combustion cycle at a certain point where they can spark the engine off without use of the starter.

Does not do anything for excess engine wear though.

Bringing a slightly older thread back. We are close to hitting 1k miles on our new 3i GT , and the oil smells heavily of gas! Its mostly driven in town , except the occassional weekend long drive ranging from 50 ~ 250 miles. I might try Synpower 0w20 at some point since Ashland oils are pretty decent at resisting dilution.

Now we have another problem coming soon to be looking for a cure, stop start technology. Someone please tell me how that can possibly be good for an engine? ...Is the fuel savings going to outweigh the cost of starters, batteries and additional engine wear? I guess the powers that are pushing for higher fuel economy don't care about that.
No the Democrats don't care and that's why they increased the CAFE to 55 by 2025 (forcing us all be driving hybrids or very small engines). BUT my Honda has that stop-start, and it's not a big deal. There's no more extra wear moving from 1000 to 0 and back to 1000 rpm. No different than 1000 to 2000 and back to 1000.

And the electric motor doesn't care either. Whether it's assisting the engine to move from 0 to 1000 or 1000 to 2000, it doesn't care.

Originally Posted By: theaveng
Now we have another problem coming soon to be looking for a cure, stop start technology. Someone please tell me how that can possibly be good for an engine? ...Is the fuel savings going to outweigh the cost of starters, batteries and additional engine wear? I guess the powers that are pushing for higher fuel economy don't care about that.
No the Democrats don't care and that's why they increased the CAFE to 55 by 2025 (forcing us all be driving hybrids or very small engines). BUT my Honda has that stop-start, and it's not a big deal. There's no more extra wear moving from 1000 to 0 and back to 1000 rpm. No different than 1000 to 2000 and back to 1000.

And the electric motor doesn't care either. Whether it's assisting the engine to move from 0 to 1000 or 1000 to 2000, it doesn't care.

LOL They didn't get my vote.

This year neither party got my vote. Romney==Obama in my mind. And to reiterate my point: There's no more extra wear moving from 1000 to 0 and back to 1000 rpm. No different than 1000 to 2000 and back to 1000. And the electric motor doesn't care either. Whether it's assisting the engine to move from 0 to 1000 or 1000 to 2000, it doesn't care.

Originally Posted By: theaveng
This year neither party got my vote. Romney==Obama in my mind. And to reiterate my point: There's no more extra wear moving from 1000 to 0 and back to 1000 rpm. No different than 1000 to 2000 and back to 1000. And the electric motor doesn't care either. Whether it's assisting the engine to move from 0 to 1000 or 1000 to 2000, it doesn't care.

Re: Start stop, I don't think we're talking about the same technology. I'm referring to start stop technology used in non hybrid vehicles. I wasn't clear on that, sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back