Mobil 1 0w/5w/10w-30...More Headaches

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did a lot of seaching on the differences, benefits, etc of these 3 Mobil 1 synthetic oils and really can't discern much between the lot of them. The data sheets on the 5w/10w are almost indentical with the 0w looking better on paper than both (somewhat lower low temp Vis and somewhat higher high temp Vis). Other than that, some oil tests have had the 5w thin more than the 10w (don't understand why given the specs) but I see no tests on the 0w; also, some posts have suggested that the 0w is the more 'advanced formualtion'...whatever that means.
I don't even see why Mobil 1 has these 3 oils, (except to occupy more shelf space and exactly match OEM recommendations to sell more oil) as the 0w can, on paper, cover it all. So, if these were the only oils in the world, which one would you prefer/use and why? It seems like the 0w would be a no brainer but still most all folks who use a xxw-30 Mobil 1 oil use the 5w-30 or 10w-30.

For me it is the area you live in. In North Carolina you would find no need for a 0w-30 oil.
However if you live in Alaska you would definitely need it. In New Jersey a 5w-30 would probably make sense. In North Carolina a 10w-30 is a good all around oil. This is what I use in any newer car I own. It is also what the manfacture recomends for the temp in my area.

J understand but the 0w-30 has a higher viscosity than the 5w-30 at 40 degrees C. The specs are as follows for the 0w, 5w and 10w.

Vis 100 degrees C....10.1, 9.7, 9.8
Vis 40 degrees C.....54.8, 53.7, 61.3
Vis Index............176, 169, 145

The 0w-30 appears to be more of a 5w-30 than the 5w-30. What I can discern from these numbers is that the 0w-30 may be more prone to shearing given the higher VI which is most likely achieved through additives with the 10w-30 being the least likely to 'thin' out (it appears 'thicker' to start with given the low temp Vis). But since the 0w-30 is Mobil's most advanced formualtion, perhaps not(?).

Yet some have said the 0w-30 is not that good and will thin out more. More VI's. Then again it is heavier at 10.1 @100C. Dont really know..hmmm??

Is there anyone here running their 0w30 and is planning on an analysis? I can't recall seeing any UOAs on this viscosity of Mobil 1.

I was thinking of running it after I send off my sample of S2000. I should be hitting 7K miles this weekend. I was going to take it farther, but I have been adding oil so it really won't matter plus, I don't like going to far at first without knowing how it is holding up. I might try the M1 0w next. I plan on running Rx though first.
smile.gif
I might even try the 0w-40. If Mobil's oils didnt thin out as much, I'd probably stick with them. As you mentioned Patman, there 10W seems fine but this 0w-40 is still up in the air. Although it has to be able to go the distance by meeting the MB spec....we hope
smile.gif

[ January 28, 2003, 08:46 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Didn't GeorgeCLS tell us a while back that Mobil 1 0W-30, 5W-30, and 10W-30 were all the same stuff in different labels? That they listed that each exceed the low temperature specs, but not by how much?

M1 0W-40 is a different formulation, probably their best gasoline engine oil. The difference is much more than just the viscosity.

Which M1 to buy? 10W-30 in the summer, 5W-30 in cold winter areas, 0W-30 if it's really, really cold,...why if there's no difference?...just so everybody feels better, and maybe it's not really all the same stuff. Or, 0W-40 or Delvac 1 5W-40 all year 'round. (Cold doesn't mean Florida @32F...that's mild, folks.)

Ken

[ January 28, 2003, 09:51 PM: Message edited by: Ken2 ]

quote:

Originally posted by Ken2:
Didn't GeorgeCLS tell us a while back that Mobil 1 0W-30, 5W-30, and 10W-30 were all the same stuff in different labels? That they listed that each exceed the low temperature specs, but not by how much?

It does look like each of them might be able to be labled as a OW, but the other specs on the different weights all vary, so I doubt it's the same formulation with different labels.

I too doubt it's the same formulation.

I think that they are using the same types of advanced oil bases of PAO's and Esters, but are using varying amounts of different viscosities and slightly different additive packages to produce the different ciscosity grades.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back