Mobil 1 0w-40 (Still had LL01 Cert) / 3,545 Miles & 4.5 Years / 1998 BMW 328is

For this OCI - the car was driven fairly regularly over two summers, then sat for the remaining time getting started occasionally over two more summers but remaining in a "storage" state.

If I recall correctly, this was still the LL-01 approved M1 0w-40 and and a BMW (MANN) filter.

I'm thankfully back to driving this regularly, so this summer I put a couple hundred miles on the OC before changing the oil/filter and taking this UOA sample. Now I'm thinking I should've ran it out much longer!

BMW JULY 2020 UOA.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, I say that all the time the oil isn't "going bad" sitting in the sump. Most on here say "change it once a year", some will go two years. Its not necessary - especially with a high over base LL oil. Glad to see at least One data point.

Long life. What that mean? More than one year!

I would probably worry more about the filter condition over storage if it drains back; then if its high mounted any evaporation will condense on the paper and on the untreated mild steel can. Rust and soggy paper don make for a good filter.
If the filter is located below sump line then No worries.

- Ken

Mobil 1 0w40 in Mazda RX8 for 7 years and 7700 miles.........My copper is up slightly, too. Most likely oil rad leaching. Also, oil thickened. I think I found the limit, and not even worried about engine health.

Attachments

• OilReports 7700 miles RX8 2019.pdf
    56.4 KB · Views: 53
I absolutely agree, it's not about time in the sump. The oil is designed to do a job and until it's used it's full potential to protect the engine with respect to additives, run it.

I was clarifying on the time frame because it's clear to me oil is changed way too often based on time. Manufacturers recommend it and I think it's irresponsible because of the waste it promotes with respect to resources.

My following reference to time is framed around a motorcycle but applies to cars exactly the same.

Guys that ride their motorcycles less than 2,000 miles a year, if they would go for a good ride and warm the engine up thoroughly before they put it away for the winter they're good to go. And they could run it another season. If all they do is get it out and run around the block and the engine gets condensation, that's not the problem of the oil and it would still be good in the spring it's just the condensation sitting in the bike over the winter that damages things. Condensation sitting in the engine doesn't hurt the oil a lick, but that's poor practice on the part of the owner not anything else.

I typically change my oil every October at around 5,000 miles. I get the bike out once a month, plus or minus, during the winter here in Colorado and the oil stays in till the following. I think 5,000 miles is a reasonable oil change interval and isn't excessive.

With Covid I was able to get a lot more riding in the spring so I'll be over (maybe well over) 6,000 miles this October. Based on a previous 5,000 mile analysis the Mobil 1 10w40 4T that I'm running will have no problem going much longer.

Last edited:
40w8 - thanks for sharing that UOA and 7 years is an impressive run!

ARCOgraphite - the oil filter is a high mounted canister type and appeared in great shape other than being slightly wavy.

Bonz - Great points all around. Every fall I would take the car on a long drive before putting it away and not start it again until spring. The past couple years I couldn't resist the urge to start it and let it idle a bit which later on made me worried about condensation and/or fuel dilution.

I was relieved to see the oil was in good shape. During the first start this year I heard more lifter tick than normal, but that went away after the first up to temp drive and hasn't returned.

I help with the maintenance on a family member's 2006 325ci. Their current OCI is over 2 years, but only 6k miles (Valvoline 0w-40). This UOA and everyone's' feedback leads me to believe they can probably go a while longer.

Last edited:
Wow, I used to think that 3 years old and it should be changed (if use was low) but this changes my mind some.

cutlassvillager....I got abuse at the RX8club.com....they told me to get that BITOG s@#t outta there...... :)

I'm retired from being a fuel and oil distributor so I had gut feeling I'd have no trouble.

Some sludge monsters might have trouble, and this RX8 actually runs cool compared to the German engines the oil is designed for.

If you get oil much over 230 degf on a RX8, it'll burn the side coolant seals.

I've gone 3.5 years and 11k miles on my BMW X1 s28i, but wouldn't try for 15k and 4 years

Back