Mobil 1 0w-40 has Supersyn and no esters, D1 5w-40 has lots...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am already sold on D1/SUV and have'nt even used it. 0w-40 has Supersyn PAO and no esters verses D1 with loads of esters and no factory certs. Currently trying M1 0w-40 in a family car and it does burn off a lil fast. Planning on D1 for that car and a 2000 Mercedes, is that a good idea? I see there is no Supersyn on the D1/SUV bottle, that's Mobil's most advanced basestock, but D1 can do better without it? Curious about the comparison of these 2 oils.

Mobil 1 0w-40 DOES have esters. Not as much as D1 is reported to have (26%) but a good amount. M1 0w-40 is a better oil then most think. Yeah, it shears down to 12cSt oil but on a % basis, it's not that much at all. It's only 14.2 to start.
smile.gif

BTW, take note to how much higher the flash point is on the 0w-40 compared to their other oils.
wink.gif

[ April 11, 2004, 06:56 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

I'd run something that carries either the Mercedes 229.3 or 229.5 specifications in the Mercedes. Almost any oil will work in 95% of domestic engines ....

Tooslick
Dixie Synthetics
(256) 651-3590

I think the jury is still out on the 0W-40. I just haven't seen many UOA's...and the few that I recall....well frankly I don't recall
grin.gif

The 5W-40 "Delvac" seems good on paper and does good in pushrod engines....

No moly though...yes, I know it makes up for that lack of additives with others, but if it had some moly in it, I think this stuff would me untouchable. I thought esters were responsible for seal leaks.

pat.gif
I found this on another site. Has Mobil 1 given in and no longer a full PAO. Strange that it says "The Mobil 1 Tri-Synthetic Series motor oils are manufactured from 100% synthetic base stocks" but is listed under semi-synthetic. Has Mobil joined the dark side of synthetics? It also lists the Trisynthetic blend as API SL rated but only ILSAC GF-2 even though I had bought some MObil1 10-w30 SL oil that stated it was GF-3. I have been a long time satisfied user of Mobil1 but I'm becoming wary. Chevron Supreme is looking better all the time. Anyone have any insights into what's going on at Mobil?????
mad.gif

>>

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
Yeah, it shears down to 12cSt oil but on a % basis, it's not that much at all. It's only 14.2 to start.
smile.gif

Isn't M1 0w-40 designed as an extended-interval fill and the "shearing effect" takes place because it's actually designed to do so?

Shears down so it doesn't get too overly viscous in the long run?

[ May 16, 2004, 09:40 PM: Message edited by: Jelly ]

quote:

Originally posted by dropitby:
pat.gif
I found this on another site. Has Mobil 1 given in and no longer a full PAO. Strange that it says "The Mobil 1 Tri-Synthetic Series motor oils are manufactured from 100% synthetic base stocks" but is listed under semi-synthetic. Has Mobil joined the dark side of synthetics? It also lists the Trisynthetic blend as API SL rated but only ILSAC GF-2 even though I had bought some MObil1 10-w30 SL oil that stated it was GF-3. I have been a long time satisfied user of Mobil1 but I'm becoming wary. Chevron Supreme is looking better all the time. Anyone have any insights into what's going on at Mobil?????
mad.gif

>>

Here we go again. Seems like we have to rehash this junk about Mobil 1 every couple of months.

Mobil 1 TriSyn isn't even made anymore. When it was, it had three synthetic base fluids: PAO, esters, and alkylated aromatics. The current version of Mobil 1 has PAO and alkylated aromatics (and possibly esters--the jury is still out on that).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back