Mobil 1 0W-40 FS too thick for 1997 Civic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone,

Getting ready to change the oil in our 1997 Civic. It calls for 5W-30, and that is what we have been using. Had some left over Mobil 1 0W-40 FS from an oil change in our dad's truck. Around three quarts left over. I was thinking of using it in the Civic. What do you think? Is it too thick?

We have been having temperatures in the 90's around here. I was thinking a little thicker might be better in the heat.

Also, would there be any issues using the Mobil 1 0W-40 with seals that old? I believe the oil pan seal is still the original?

Thanks,

With age/mileage, bearings accumulate wear. Without disassembling the engine and measuring the bearing clearances, we cannot say how much wear your bearings have. But, at that car’s age, there’s bound to be some wear leading to somewhat larger bearing clearances, which leaves more room for a thicker oil anyway. Like others are saying, no sweat. If something happens to that engine it won’t be due to the slightly thicker oil.

That oil will probably be like heaven for your engine.
Those japanese engines are incredibly grateful considering oil and will kinda take anything you throw at them.
With the relatively high Mileage increasing the thickness a bit by choosing a xW-40 oil is exactly the way to go in my mind...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back