mobil 1 0w 40 for saturn

Status
Not open for further replies.
First, of all is your car under warranty? If so, I would check with the dealer to make sure there are no warranty issues with using it, if it is not one of the owners manual recommended viscosities. Second, warranty stipulations aside, is it SAFE to use in your car...without a doubt. With the US and European requirements it meets or exceeds, you have no reason to worry about it protecting your engine. I am not comfortable taking it past 5K change intervals.

pscholte:

I'm going out on a limb here, but doesn't the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act (not sure about the name) say that things like air filters, fuel filters, oil filters, spark pluhgs, oil, etc. don't void your warranty?

Qu'est-ce que tu en penses mon ami?

Asmodeus, mon ami,

Je n'ai pas lu ce document particulier mais je pense que je comprends qu'il contient. If an OEM REQUIRES you to use a specific brand or type of oil, filter, etc to keep the warranty in effect, he must provide it to you free of charge (in other words if you are not free to choose from within a "universe" of qualified items); however, an OEM could possibly "nail" you if you had, in this case, a lubrication-related engine failure and he could prove that it was because you used an oil not meeting the specifications he laid out in the owner's manual (e.g. an SJ oil when SL was specified or a 5W30 when a minimum of 15W40 was specified). This is an unlikely happening, but since it is possible, I like to caveat my advice with the warranty aspect so the person understands the possibility, however remote. In this case, if say a 5W30 is recommended for the Saturn, I have NO DOUBT that M1 0W40 will handle the requirement safely. I just wanted to be sure that 94saturn...knew of the warranty consideration.

you should have absolutely no problem running that oil in your car. Check in the UOA section, I have an analysis from my 94 SL1 running 15w40. I've run 0w40 in the past tho.

--Matt

i was previosly using 5/30 M1 and used about a quart in 5500 miles. Never used any dino oil. Hopefully the 10/30 wouldnt dissapear. Replaced PC valve which was the original and had 64,000 on it although it still chattered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back