Mobil-1 0w-40 for Honda Accord V6?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone new here. I've spent a couple of days almost all day long reading back and have learned a TON about oil. Many thanks!

Question concerning my Honda Accord V6

I bought it new and have been using Mobil-1 0w-30 for all of my oil changes until on the last oil change I couldn't find the 0w-30 oil and noticed the shelves were replaced with 0w-40 Mobil-1. I even checked three auto-parts stores. I saw the 0w-20 and the 0w-40 but no 0w-30 that I've been using.

So I bought the 0w-40 weight and used it. My Accord has 18,000 miles. The oil seems to work good and I've read pretty good things about it here so far. Do you guys think it's okay and if I should just continue with the Mobil-1 0w-40 from now on?

I do like the fact that it has a wide range because it's very cold here in the winter but I also drive on trips where it can easily exceed 100 degrees.

From what I've learned here the only concern I think I have is if the Mobil-1 0w-40 uses more VI index polymers that can shear down quicker than the 0w-30 oil I had been using prior.

Opinions??

I prefer the 5w30 to the 0w40 and 0w30 (they shear down too much). in my accord that is what I have been using, it sits outside during ohio winters, I've never had a problem with cold startup.

In defence of this oil, the cases where it thins out have been in turbo engines. I don't think you'll see it thinning out in your engine. You should still do a used oil analysis at the end of your interval just to be certain though.

If you live south of the Mason Dixon line you would be fine with the 10W-30. What part of the country do you live in. Delvac 1 is a better choice than the 0W-40.

welcome.gif

Thanks for the feedback guys. I just found this posted by someone at another forum and it sort of leads me to believe I made the wrong choice. I'm not worried about it but thinking perhaps at my next oil change I'll go to either the Mobil-1 5w-30 or 10w-30 since those two don't use any of the polymer index improvers that can shear.

quote:

Be wary of the 0W30 or 0W40 products one the market. The base oil is an SAE 0. You are depending on the temperature-activated additive to protect your engine. The additive molecule uncoils to increase the oil viscosity. Problem is that the additive molecule can be sheared under use. Without the additive you have an SAE0.

quote:

Originally posted by Hankrr:
Thanks for the feedback guys. I just found this posted by someone at another forum and it sort of leads me to believe I made the wrong choice. I'm not worried about it but thinking perhaps at my next oil change I'll go to either the Mobil-1 5w-30 or 10w-30 since those two don't use any of the polymer index improvers that can shear.

quote:

Be wary of the 0W30 or 0W40 products one the market. The base oil is an SAE 0. You are depending on the temperature-activated additive to protect your engine. The additive molecule uncoils to increase the oil viscosity. Problem is that the additive molecule can be sheared under use. Without the additive you have an SAE0.

That quote is not completely true. There are many 0w40 and 0w30 oils out there which are not created this way at all. They don't start with a super thin base oil, many of them start out with a higher viscosity oil which is of such high quality that it can also flow extremely well in the cold, so it may not use any viscosity index improvers at all, or at least a very small amount. For instance, if you look at Amsoil's 0w30, it's one of the most shear stable oils out there, so there is very little chance that this oil has much VII in it, and there is also very little chance that you would ever see this oil thin out to a 20wt oil either.

I got a 02 Accord, with a V6, started out with the recommended 5W-20, until I got to this board. I'm on the firing line that a X-20 is just too dang thin for anything over 200 horsepower. I can't help it, it's like a religious belief, if I see my neighbor put in a X-20, I grab a six pack, head over there and we "talk all things oil." Anyway, I jumped ship to the M1 5W-30 on the V6. Yes, mileage went down just a little, but the engine, at least to me, seems quieter. Look under my name in uoa's and you'll see the results from the M1 and a Quaker State 5-20. The only problem that I'm having with the 5-30 is iron wear. I just changed the oil an hour ago and took a sample. If that oil comes out with high iron, which would be the second run with M1 5W-30, I switching to something else. Maybe that particular engine just don't like M1. Try, Try and Try again!!!! That's what we do here.
welcome.gif

Many would argue that any 30 weight M1 is "just too dang thin" as well. M1 30 weights are typically about 10 cSt at 100c; the allowable range for a 30 weight is 9.3 - 12.4 .

I use 0W40 in my Acura in the winter; the car is quieter and consumes less oil. Good enough...!

wink.gif

You know, I lost track of that. That's why I went with the M1 5W-30 because it was a "thick" 20 weight. Hmmmmm.....if the Iron comes back higher than I'd like, it might rule out that thicker is better. See???? I'm too at wits end here. Might have to change religions as a lot of on this board when it comes to those "dang" 20 weights. But uoa's don't lie. IF that be the case, guess I'll jump back to the pennz. purebase 5W-20 and change out every 3.5 to 4K. BUT, even with the M1, I'm changing it out every 4 to 4.5K and the iron is present. There is another topic on this section on high Fe and M1. Motorbike suggested that it might be in the actually process of manufacturing the oil where the Fe is coming from. Don't know. More research.

quote:

Originally posted by geeeman:

I use 0W40 in my Acura in the winter; the car is quieter and consumes less oil. Good enough...!

wink.gif

Thanks that's what I like to hear since I already put it in. lol

Which Acura do you have? My 2000 3.2 TL got totaled out a few months ago. That's why I ended up with an Accord for now. (it was my wifes)

Thanks for everyones input....

After careful study from this site as well as following links that have been posted to other information I've made my pick.

I'll be using the Mobil Delvac 1 5w-40 in this car from here on out. It looks to be an excellent oil which should get me through winter and summer conditions as well as allowing me to extend oil changes.

My Accord is the year 2000 (even though it only has 18,000 miles on it) which recommends the 5w-30 but going up to the 5w-40 should be fine from the general opinions I've seen. It's got the 0w-40 in it now and it seems to run great so far on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back