barium - 0

SUS Viscosity @ 210'F – 68.4
cSt Viscosity @ 100'C – 12.54
Flashpoint in 'F - 390
Fuel % - Antifreeze % - 0.0
Water % - 0.0
Insolubles % - 0.4
TBN

Universal averages show typical wear for the Saturn 1.9 L after about 5000 miles on the oil. Your oil
run lasted well past that mark, and the only things reading out of line were iron and silicon. Iron tends to track with miles on the oil, so the higher reading found here is likely from extended oil use. Silicon can show dirt getting past the air filter, so we suggest inspecting the air filter for leaks. If silicon is from dirt, it could be causing some of the excess wear at steel parts (iron). The oil was in good shape, showing no signs contamination. Stay at ~8000 miles for now.

I used a Motorcraft-FL400-size filter (the Motorcraft or Mobil 1).

You drive hard? The lead was low though - automatic? 6 qt makeup or 4 +2? makeup? Its nice not to have to change across winter
wink.gif
Since the thing is swallowing oil, think of using a less $$$ Shell diesel product spring through fall?

Last edited:
When I started burning oil badly in my old Corolla(1qt/700 miles), I quit worrying about what oil I used. Sales became my friend, didn't matter what kind.

When I traded it in, I was using BOGO Mobil Delvac. I recommend you do something similar, save some money.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
It burnt 6 qt of oil?

Not all that unusual for a Saturn. Personally, I'd forget using synthetic and throw in a high mileage and/or a 15W-40 HDEO...

I wouldn't torch it. Even the oil burners are great on gas. And the prices are creeping up soon...

I got up to 40MPG in mine. But 34-36 was more common in mixed driving...

Last edited:
Viscosity is right where it should be, that is good to see. I would agree with the Blackstone comments.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
It burnt 6 qt of oil?

Sounds about right for 8500 miles on an S-series.
I have to add a quart to my car every 2-3 weeks with my normal commute.

I'd throw in MMO for a bit or a HM and see if it could help any. It's gotta be burning oil for a reason(that excessively)

Saturns have a bad oil ring design defect. They all burn oil. Just like the 2000-2002 corolla/prizm. Best to run a hedo or mh mixture.
mmo might help temporarily just to free up the ring. .

It's a manual and I drive pretty easy. I've got Valvoline 5W-30 dino in it now, bought a bunch last year on sales. I did a short OCI after the M1 0W-40 with Valvoline dino and Seafoam instead of mmo and a piston soak, changed the oil to the current fill and we'll see if it lowers consumption.

With Si of 29, and insols. of 0.4, there is a lot of dirt getting into the engine and oil. I have a look at the filter and plumbing.

With consumption like this, I would not be running M1 0W-40 - stick a cheap 10W-30 in it to keep it topped off....just wasting money here....

Originally Posted By: addyguy
With Si of 29, and insols. of 0.4, there is a lot of dirt getting into the engine and oil. I have a look at the filter and plumbing.

With consumption like this, I would not be running M1 0W-40 - stick a cheap 10W-30 in it to keep it topped off....just wasting money here....

Agree. It's NORMALLY what I do too, but I have PP in my car now (being topped off with what leftover GC I have) and once this run is done, it's going back to dino. Ran Syn for 2 OCI's to promote some cleaning of the engine. Will probably get Costco Formula Shell 10w30. The cases are so cheap there :D

My brother had a 1993 Saturn SL2 that used a quart every 200 miles when it got to 140k or so.

My Saturn seems to sip a half quart (or up to 2/3 quart) every 4-5k miles during an OCI. It seems to be doing better with 10w30.

I'd use the Formula Shell...excellent oil. Have you tried 10w30?

I'm not sure how to comment on a UOA where the make-up oil exceeded the sump capacity. Saturn engineers could have gone a step further and eliminated piston rings altogether to save on parts cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back