PHOSPHORUS 819 916
ZINC 1025 1276
BARIUM 1 0

cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 11.6-14.8 11.84
SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 65-76 65.8
Flashpoint in °F >375 380
Fuel % Antifreeze % 0 0.05
Water % Insolubles % TBN 2.7

DEAN: Judging by the high potassium and sodium 0.05% of this sample was anti-freeze. That's a pretty small
amount and it has yet to affect wear, which still looks very good. This could be a new problem developing so we think
it's a good idea to keep an eye on your coolant level and resampling to monitor. This kind of problem can get worse
quickly so we suggest no more than 5,000 miles on the oil until you have the problem corrected. The TBN read 2.7 so
you still had some active additive remaining. 1.0 is low.

Saturn has 96,165 miles
3 quarts make-up oil

I hope this isn't too hard to read, I copied it first to Excel, then to this post and it got scrambled going for Blackstone Labs web site to Excel. I think I got it unscrambled.

Wow, I'm not familiar with the engines in the SL2's, but that oil consumption seems extremely high! Heck you almost paid for 2 mobile 1 oil changes if this motor has a 4 quart sump! Considering you added that much make up oil I'm surprised your TBN wasn't higher, but if you have a slight coolant leak it will drop the TBN down a bit. Flash point indicates fuel dilution as well. Drop down to a decent cheap dino oil and see if that coolant leak report is for real. Also keep an eye on the flash point.

Originally Posted By: pickled
Wow, I'm not familiar with the engines in the SL2's, but that oil consumption seems extremely high!

I have an early 99 SL2. This explains the problem with the older models (see post #3)

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118258

In late 99 they reworked the pistons, rings, and head, so oil consumption does not seem to be as much of a problem. I use 1 quart or so per 1,000. I tend to buy what is on sale. One reason I am not using Mobil 1 is the high rate of oil consumption. Last time I used Mobil 1 my oil consumption increased. It was 0w-40 and 0w-30 oil bought on sale when SM came out. Going to use 0-40 EuroSpec oil this summer that was bought years ago. My intention was to use Mobil 1 to help with coking of oil in the rings. Looks like the previous owner screwed that up by skipping oil changes.

Wild, I never realized that these cars had this issue. It would be interesting if someone with a Saturn tried some of the Amsoil ASE 10W30 (small engine oil), or even formula 4 stroke 0W40 AFF for a 5,000 mile run. There aren't any VII's to shear down in the 10W30 and it's volatility numbers are REAL LOW. I was talking to a friend of mine who had an issue with blow by with their Pontiac Grand Am and we were going to try the ASE in his car for a standard drain just because the NOACK was so darn low. NOACK (ASTM D-5800) 4.1, HTHS 3.25 for the 10W30 ASE. Pablo, Gary what do you guys think about this combo??

Last edited:
Are those iron numbers correct? 73 seems extremely high but the universal average is 74!? I've never seen anything close to that, especially in a small four-cylinder.

Originally Posted By: pickled
I was talking to a friend of mine who had an issue with blow by with their Pontiac Grand Am and we were going to try the ASE in his car for a standard drain just because the NOACK was so darn low. NOACK (ASTM D-5800) 4.1, HTHS 3.25 for the 10W30 ASE. Pablo, Gary what do you guys think about this combo??

ASE will work as ACD will, and it may help, but in my book blow-by is not the same as loss from volatility. That said - give it a try, I think you may be pleasantly surprised.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
2001 SL2...check your intake manifold gasket.

Isn't that more common in the SL1? A symptom is high idle when it starts leaking.

Heck ya all the Saturns I run into in Michgan have oil stains on the rear fascia and about 1/2 of them no matter if it is a I4 or v6 is a fogger on take off. A lot of Cadilacs with North Stars also have the black fasica stains but seldom do you see a smoker. GM and oil consumption is as common as FOrd and their mesterious power steering fluid lose/consumption!!!LOL it just happens!!!

Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN

Isn't that more common in the SL1? A symptom is high idle when it starts leaking.

I thought both? I could be wrong.

Originally Posted By: JohnBrowning
Heck ya all the Saturns I run into in Michgan have oil stains on the rear fascia and about 1/2 of them no matter if it is a I4 or v6 is a fogger on take off. A lot of Cadilacs with North Stars also have the black fasica stains but seldom do you see a smoker. GM and oil consumption is as common as FOrd and their mesterious power steering fluid lose/consumption!!!LOL it just happens!!!

Yeah, the NorthStar has a number of issues..... Oil consumption and head gaskets.... Which are REALLY fun to change! We've got a number of oil burners in my town alone, which is kind of depressing.

I think the NorthStar is part of the reason GM abandoned its "new" DOHC endeavour....

A good friend of mine had an SC1, it went through a litre a week. You couldn't kill it, but the consumption was simply ridiculous. It consumed from new (I knew the PO) but as mileage racked up, it got progressively worse.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: lewdwig
Yes, it has DexCool. I've added about a cup (8 ounces) in the 22k miles I've owned it.

You might want to read up on DexCool in the BITOG coolant forum. I'm glad I did.

Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN

I thought both? I could be wrong.

Actually, your probably right. I just seem to read about more people with the SL1's having the problem. I think both those models started using a plastic intake manifold. I prefer my metal one.

Yup, you got some stuck rings: incredibly high insolubles and too much make-up oil. Try an Auto-Rx run or two. Change the PCV Valve & clean the EGR. If that doesn't work, you'll need to re-ring the pistons.

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
Yup, you got some stuck rings: incredibly high insolubles and too much make-up oil. Try an Auto-Rx run or two. Change the PCV Valve & clean the EGR. If that doesn't work, you'll need to re-ring the pistons.

...or add oil. I've done 3 Auto-RX cleanings, use Lube Control in between, always use an OEM PCV and recently cleaned the EGR. Using around 1 quart per 1,000, maybe more. Runs like a new car. I have about 5 years of oil stockpiled (BITOG disease). My plan is to just add oil as needed.
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back