Mobil 1 0W-40, 5729mi, 96 Acura 3.5RL, 174,643mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Acura174643.jpg

Filter

Keep in mind that Blackstone does not differentiate between 3.5L Honda engines and this is a completely different engine from the J35.

Decent run, wear metals look to be pretty good. But why 0w-40? You might get a little better gas mileage out of the 5w-30 that the manufacturer recommends.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: silversapphire
But why 0w-40?

At least why 0W-40 for this specific vehicle ?

For as much money as they charge for it, the metals should be lower. ( I would think )

Besides that, Honda's do better on thinner oil for some reason.

Decent run, wear metals look to be pretty good. But why 0w-40?

Why not.

Seriously, just experimentation - it has run 10/30, 5/30 in several flavors and 0/40, it may even have had 10/40 at some point. The dealer used primarily 10/30 which is as you apparently know, not what is recommended.

0/40 is recommended in other markets.

You might get a little better gas mileage out of the 5w-30 that the manufacturer recommends.

It won’t.

Iron looks pretty stable over the past several oil changes with higher viscosity/higher calcium oils. The dates/mileages on some of those earlier samples don't make sense. Judging from the earlier sample dates...3K miles per year the past 2 years? Those would be good numbers for 2 year old oil...and possibly on the "old" M1 0w-40 oil (starting viscosity of 13.8 vs. current 12.9 version).

Nice dosage of Boron. Metals look high so maybe try something lighter. Whatever you used last time had the least wear so maybe use that oil again?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Honda's do better on thinner oil for some reason.

This

Well, my Honda would beg to differ on your opinion here. Most recent run was Penz Plat Euro 0W40, previous run was PP 5W20, and first run was unknown- likely a conventional 5W20 (bought with this oil). Iron is the same as the 5W20, but aluminum is lower, copper is the same.. and the PP had a bottle of LM MoS2 in it as well! Mileage did suffer about 3% but the engine is smoother, and look at the TBN retention! J35A7s are known for being hard on oil, and the PPE 0W40 was already over 1K farther than the universal average. I will have the 2nd UOA on this fill with nearly 13k on this oil soon... I pulled a sample but did not drain. We'll see how those wear metals look at 2x the universal average, but considering 0W40 gave numbers with a 25% reduction in Al, 50% reduction in Fe, and 71% reduction in Cu to the averages... I don't think it's a safe or logical stereotype to say all Hondas do better on thinner oil. I would, however, say it is safe to say that a good synthetic will help the wear numbers slightly, but at 150k+ is it really going to alter the lifespan of the engine?

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Honda's do better on thinner oil for some reason.

This

Well, my Honda would beg to differ on your opinion here. Most recent run was Penz Plat Euro 0W40, previous run was PP 5W20, and first run was unknown- likely a conventional 5W20 (bought with this oil). Iron is the same as the 5W20, but aluminum is lower, copper is the same.. and the PP had a bottle of LM MoS2 in it as well! Mileage did suffer about 3% but the engine is smoother, and look at the TBN retention! J35A7s are known for being hard on oil, and the PPE 0W40 was already over 1K farther than the universal average. I will have the 2nd UOA on this fill with nearly 13k on this oil soon... I pulled a sample but did not drain. We'll see how those wear metals look at 2x the universal average, but considering 0W40 gave numbers with a 25% reduction in Al, 50% reduction in Fe, and 71% reduction in Cu to the averages... I don't think it's a safe or logical stereotype to say all Hondas do better on thinner oil. I would, however, say it is safe to say that a good synthetic will help the wear numbers slightly, but at 150k+ is it really going to alter the lifespan of the engine?

Great readings on those wear metals.

Y’all crack me up.

I run 5/20 (recommended) in a Honda and get told to run 5/30 (not recommended). Run heavier oil in a Honda and get told Hondas like thinner oils.

Bitog is all over the place...

Pretty much nothing turns in stellar results in this car. I’ll probably continue to run either 0/40 or 5/30HM in it. It currently has more 0/40 and a Microgreen filter.

The results look great to me. I'd just stick w the 0W-40 and run it longer. 8k should be easy. Thanks for posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back