Mobil 1 0w-40 4429 miles, 1998 Volvo S70 T-5

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Volvo has 118,000 miles on it, and this was my first UOA. I was using a Mobil 1 filter on this go round. The oil was in use for almost 6 months. I changed the oil when taking this sample, and went with a Mann filter this time (OEM) and the same 0w40 oil. Mainly mixed driving. My next change will be with German Castrol. Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated.

Element: My reading/universal averages
Aluminum: 2/3
Chromium: 0/0
Iron: 5/11
Copper: 2/5
Lead: 0/4
Tin: 0/0
Molybdenum: 73/69
Nickel: 0/0
Manganese: 0/1
Silver: 0/0
Titanium: 0/0
Potassium: 0/1
Boron: 102/38
Silicon: 7/7
Sodium: 7/11
Calcium: 2385/2186
Magnesium: 13/112
Phosphorus: 725/701
Zinc: 832/832
Barium: 0/0
SUS Viscosity: 64.3 (65-76)
cSt Visc: 11.42 (11.6-14.8)
Flash: 360 (>375)
Fuel %: .08 ( Antifreeze %: 0.0 (0)
Water %: 0.0 ( Insolubles: .3 ( TBN: 5.2

Comments from Blackstone:
TYLER: It looks like the 2.3L 5-Cylinder in your Volvo is just getting its second wind as it heads towards
the 200,000-mile mark. Our universal averages show typical wear for this type of engine after 5,400 miles
of oil use. Yours was in use 29 miles longer and all of the wear metals read well below averages. That
means your engine is wearing better than most. Oil viscosity was in the SAE 30W range. 0.8% of the
sample was gas, which may have caused the mildly low viscosity. The TBN was 5.2, lots of active additive
left. 1.0 is too low. Try 6,000 miles. Your Volvo can do it!
03/14/09
98 S70 T5

Your Title says 4429 miles, but Blackstone references that yours was in use 29 miles past typical wear average of 5400 miles.
21.gif

Don't you know that using a 40 weight oil in Colorado will ruin your engine?
spankme2.gif

I definitely went 4429 miles. I don't know if they made a mistake. They did send me 2 reports...the first saying that I had a 2.3 4 cylinder. I corrected them, and they sent me this second report. I just confirmed that the first said that the average was 4400. Hmm

Never heard of 40 weights ruining the engine in CO. I just moved here from your neck of the woods (Western WA). The car was only driven here in CO on this oil though.

It sounds like they got a little mixed up, makes you wonder about the results??

I was just kidding you about the 40 weight, witnessed by your success for the past 6 months just south of the mile high city. The important number for you is the first number, the 0, which allows for much better flow characteristics when it's cold.

OH, yeah, welcome to Bitog!!

Why change to German Castrol when you know that M1 0w40 is working fine in your vehicle? I know its hard to find M1 0w40 sometimes but so is German Castrol atleast around my area. Personally if it was my vehicle i would stick with whats working.

Good wear numbers for your engine but I'm amazed at how much the M1 sheared; from 14.3 cSt to 11.42 cSt in only 4429 miles. One thing it proved is that you don't require a 40 grade oil.
GC is known to be more viscosity stable than M1 0W-40 so I concur it would be a good choice for your next oil change.

I'm changing to GC simply because I got a good deal on it at Autozone a while back. When they offer 5 quarts with a decent filter for 25.99, it's hard to pass up. If it works, Autozone always has it. If not, I can always get M1 0w40 again at Walmart (Although I hate that place)

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Good wear numbers for your engine but I'm amazed at how much the M1 sheared; from 14.3 cSt to 11.42 cSt in only 4429 miles. One thing it proved is that you don't require a 40 grade oil.
GC is known to be more viscosity stable than M1 0W-40 so I concur it would be a good choice for your next oil change.

thats a solid 30w,,we all know M1 0w40 shears,it still will protect fine.Great oil keep using it.

I wasn't surprised it sheared from what I had read. Everything I had read had said it was designed to shear down to a 30 weight. Volvo calls for 5w30 (winter) or 10w30 (summer), so this seems like it's still well within the tolerances of the engine.

It seems like a good oil to me. Should I be at all concerned about the flash point, or was that due to the fuel dilution?

Fuel dilution is the only issue here, but oil held up fine. This is not uncommon with Volvos, but see if you can do something about it by changing your driving habits. I run the FP60 in mine with RUG to combat the fuel dilution and have not seen any problems. Once that is solved, I would run it 8-10k miles without concern.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Good wear numbers for your engine but I'm amazed at how much the M1 sheared; from 14.3 cSt to 11.42 cSt in only 4429 miles. ...
The single biggest reason for the shearing is the turbo on this Swedish engine, not some mystical design premise by the tribology engineers over at Mobil. Don't believe me? Take a look at these examples:

1) My 20k mi UOA in a non-turbo engine (or any other M1 0W-40 non-turbo UOA, for that matter), where the vis only dropped from 14.1 (the published vis at that time) to 13.3. (Shorter OCI examples typically show better vis retention with this oil.)

2) Pablo's 10k mi UOA of Amsoil 15W-40 (arguably one of the most robust full syn oils available) in his Volvo turbo, where he thinned it down from 14.2 to 12.1.

3) Pablo's 10k mi UOA of Amsoil 20W-50 Series 2000 (full syn Racing Oil) in his Volvo turbo, where he thinned it down from 18.3 to 11.8.

Let's stick to known examples of mechanical stresses, please, not rumors & myths.

No, Mobil1 0W-40 is an oil that shears. Everyone knows it. It's common knowledge. Whether it's a turbocharged car, or a stock 110 horsepower Honda, it's going to shear.

BUT that's ok, it is a different animal than the other Mobil1 oils. M1 0W-40 always shows great results. And, as much as I love GC 0W-30, I almost wouldn't change after seeing great results like this. But, it wouldn't hurt to run GC for a couple of OCI's and see if it does better. But, all in all, great wear results. Looks like your engine likes this oil.

Originally Posted By: Jaymus
... Everyone knows it. It's common knowledge. ...
Ah, I see. Glad to know that all the data I've been tracking over the last 8 yrs is worth less than hear-say. Perhaps you could link some non-turbo UOAs? There used to be several M1 0W-40 UOAs here, from a V8 Impala (IIRC), but when I search for any 0W-40 UOAs today, nothing shows. Not even from a Honda...

33.gif
You seem to be the one who's "missed it." Not only am I asking everyone, I'm also asking you (
smirk2.gif
): provide the concrete data that proves M1 0W-40 thins into unequivocal 30 wt territory in every non-turbocharged engine that uses it. Until then, keep your old wive's tales between you & your cronies.

36.gif

Originally Posted By: Eiron
The single biggest reason for the shearing is the turbo on this Swedish engine, not some mystical design premise by the tribology engineers over at Mobil.

The 2.3L S70 T5 engine was developed by Porsche. Not a Swedish design...
18.gif

I've seen many turbo and supercharged applications (Swedish, American, German, etc) where this oil proves to shear to a 30 weight fairly quickly, then holds the sheared weight through the rest of the interval (or sometimes even thickens).

Not to say that makes it a bad oil, it just has repeatedly sheared over ever single UOA I've seen. Here's one from a NA BMW:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1040317

I think M1 0W40 is actually on the thin side of a 40W to start with. I've heard it's closer to a 35W. If it shears it doesn't shear much. Just about every oil shears a bit. If M1 0W40 sheared to a 20W oil I'd be concerned.

Originally Posted By: wannafbody
I think M1 0W40 is actually on the thin side of a 40W to start with. I've heard it's closer to a 35W. If it shears it doesn't shear much. Just about every oil shears a bit. If M1 0W40 sheared to a 20W oil I'd be concerned.

True.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back