Mobil 1 0W-40, 2621 Miles on oil, 8016 Miles on Porsche 991.2 C2S

The report looks excellent other than the viscosity loss being a bit higher than expected. Nothing stands out, and, as @kschachn pointed out, Blackstone fuel dilution figures are never accurate, which is another contributor to visc loss that's usually ignored.

Given this is an approved oil for your application, I'd continue to use it.

It is no surprise a 0W-xx oil sheared quickly. Many, if not all, of them do in harsh conditions. The idea is that an ultra thin oil can provide the real world protection of a 40 viscosity oil, over a long period of time. The reality is that Viscosity Index Improvers last just so long. Another harsh reality is that VII's don't really make the oil behave exactly the same way as its measured viscosity would indicate. Use of such oils in air cooled aircraft engines result in the expected problems of low oil pressure, rapid oil consumption and rapid wear.

The acid test is really the use in a high performance motorcycle with a shared transmission. The results are nearly universal, 0W-xx shears fast. Or for that matter, just about any oil with a wide viscosity spread. Such as 10W-60.

Mobil 1, 5W-40 TDT (or similar Delvac 1) is a robust oil that is less likely to shear.

agreed, so it would make sense to try M1 5W-40 before jumping to 50 weight.

It is no surprise a 0W-xx oil sheared quickly. Many, if not all, of them do in harsh conditions. The idea is that an ultra thin oil can provide the real world protection of a 40 viscosity oil, over a long period of time. The reality is that Viscosity Index Improvers last just so long. Another harsh reality is that VII's don't really make the oil behave exactly the same way as its measured viscosity would indicate. Use of such oils in air cooled aircraft engines result in the expected problems of low oil pressure, rapid oil consumption and rapid wear.

The acid test is really the use in a high performance motorcycle with a shared transmission. The results are nearly universal, 0W-xx shears fast. Or for that matter, just about any oil with a wide viscosity spread. Such as 10W-60.

Mobil 1, 5W-40 TDT (or similar Delvac 1) is a robust oil that is less likely to shear.
I would not go TDT in this application. There are good 5W40 options out there with A40 approval. Motul X-Cess GEN2, Mobil1 5W40 FS, etc.
If this car is out of warranty Motul Sport 5W40 might be an option.

Valvoline Euro 5w40 is also available, typically Valvoline oils are fairly shear resistant though I've not seen a UOA on the latest full saps Euro 5w40 yet. There are MST VOA/UOA's posted but not the same oil.

It's a twin-turbo engine and Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 easily shears in turbo applications. From what I've seen online, Mobil 1 FS 5W-50 is less prone to shearing in your applications. It's summer, give it a try. I wouldn't go to M1 15W-50, that's the wrong oil for your engine.

Greetings. This oil sample comes from a 2017 Porsche 911 (991.2) Carrera S with 3.0L 6 cyl twin turbo engine. The car had a break-in oil change at around 1800 miles approximately 2 years ago and another oil change at 5400 miles about 8 months ago. All oil changes have been with Mobil 1 0W-40 (OEM). This sample is therefore from the 3rd batch of oil (factory>1st Change>2nd Change>THIS SAMPLE>3rd Change) in this vehicle which was taken at approx 8000 miles. It has been suggested that due to the warm climate this vehicle resides in (South Florida) that I use a more viscous oil but I'm not sure which would be the most ideal. 5W-40? 0W-50? 5W-50?

View attachment 55549
I switched from the factory Mobil 1 to Motul 5w-40 in my 2018 C4S with power kit (basically a GTS engine with larger turbos). It runs much smoother and seems to be a little quieter.

Attachments

• 43D84FF4-498A-43C6-AF7F-407A3C7E50F2.jpeg
    43D84FF4-498A-43C6-AF7F-407A3C7E50F2.jpeg
    32.1 KB · Views: 16
With 8000 miles, the vehicle is still under warranty, I would try a different oil as many have stated, but one that had A40 approval to keep your warranty intact.

Back