Mobil 1 0W-40, 2010 Porsche Cayman S, unk. oil age

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

First time poster who would really appreciate your expertise, which will hopefully alleviate some of my concerns. I bought my Cayman w/ 11K miles. I don't know the service history. I drove it for 2K miles, around 150 of which were track miles (one day). I then changed the oil (at 12.950 miles) and sent it off to Blackstone. Here are the results, some of which appear high (iron and tin). My commute is 5 miles, no highways and takes 15 min or so.

Code:

Sample Date 5/24/13

Make up oil. 0

ALUMINUM 8

CHROMIUM 1

IRON 32

COPPER 13

LEAD 1

TIN 7

MOLYBDENUM 84

NICKEL 0

MANGANESE 4

SILVER 0

TITANIUM 0

POTASSIUM 8

BORON 134

SILICON 6

SODIUM 9

CALCIUM 3247

MAGNESIUM 25

PHOSPHORUS 920

ZINC 1099

BARIUM 1

Values Should Be*

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 64.5. 65-76

cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 11.48. 116-14.8

Flashpoint in °F 365. >375

Fuel % 0.5
Antifreeze % 0.0 0.0

Water % 0.0 0.1

Insolubles % 0.2.
TBN

Am I doomed? Thanks in advance for your help. It's my birthday so please give me some good news...I know what I'm wishing for.

It is nearly impossible to say for certain on a one time micro analysis and wear metals are the least valuable information on a UOA.

But IMO Happy Birthday there is nothing that screams immediate doom.

Suspect that this oil analysis has some residual leftover contaminants from the engine breaking in.

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
Suspect that this oil analysis has some residual leftover contaminants from the engine breaking in.

Agreed, and with the track use, I would not be worried.

Since you have a used car that is worth about $49k in the private seller market I would change the oil every 5000 miles. MAybe 6-7000 tops. You can get the M-1 0w40 at Walmart. Use a Mobil1 filter as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Doog
Since you have a used car that is worth about $49k in the private seller market I would change the oil every 5000 miles. MAybe 6-7000 tops. You can get the M-1 0w40 at Walmart. Use a Mobil1 filter as well.

Agreed. With track use, and the price of Mobil 1 0w-40 ($22.47/jug) at Walmart. I would change it every 5k or 6 months.

As for the UOA, given the track time, low mileage, and the unknown miles on the oil (could even be factory oil). Id say your a-ok.

Hi,
VUDores - Welcome - and no, not doomed at all! Others have commented with wisdom so all I can say is that I hope you refilled with M1 0W-40 - and that you follow Porsche's servicing recommendations

Interim UOAs are valuable in establishing a meaningful trending of the wear metals. A PQ Index report is also worthwhile

Without a TBN test we don't know if this is the original oil.
I would add that the somewhat elevated wear metals is certainly not related to the oil choice.

Was your oil level at the maximum level during your track day?
It's unfortunate that you car doesn't have an oil pressure gauge to monitor things. All it takes during hard cornering is a second of oil starvation to get a bearing wiping moment.

Stick with M1 0W-40 and have another UOA done in a few thousand miles.

Thanks for the responses everyone - this was a wonderful thread to see this morning. I had full oil for the track day and checked it throughout the day. The service rec is one year, 10K miles but I will be changing it waaay before then. My current plan is to change it after six total track days or 5K miles, whichever is first. I'll let you guys know what the new report says. Thanks again.

VUDores, I wouldn't automatically dump the oil after a certain number of track days. Lots of WOT and high rev's will not kill the oil; 5,000 miles is plenty short enough under such conditions.
After 6 track days by all means have a UOA sample taken to determine the condition of the oil and then decide if the oil is still serviceable; i.e., no excessive fuel dilution, etc.

I do strongly recommend installing an oil pressure gauge since you plan on tracking the car a lot. Amongst of things it will tell what a UOA will not, such as viscosity loss for any reason and the piece of mind of knowing whether you're maintaining an adequate operational viscosity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back