Mobil 1 0w-30 (SL) or VW longlife oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It depends. After a cursory look at all three I noticed that B and C are long-life lubricants and A is not. B and C meet VW 506 and are probably better for diesels. If I was going to change it within 6 or 7K I'd probably use A in a Ford 2.3 gasoline engine. If I was going over 10K on the OCI I'd probably use B.

I would personally look into B or C, and use whatever is more cost effective. How long of a drain interval are you looking at?

It's hard to decide without considering conditions of use. How about change interval Ford suggest for this engine? If its no higher than 10K kms with any oil of 1998, I'd get fuel economy with the A and go with the manufacturers OCI, this would be safe, economical and there could be more pep for the engine. If I were going to put more than 10K kms till the autumn with sustained high speeds (subjectively, higher than 140 kph for a 2.3), thicker oils could be favourable for this summer period.

Originally Posted By: pbm
It depends. After a cursory look at all three I noticed that B and C are long-life lubricants and A is not. B and C meet VW 506 and are probably better for diesels. If I was going to change it within 6 or 7K I'd probably use A in a Ford 2.3 gasoline engine. If I was going over 10K on the OCI I'd probably use B.

B and C might meet VW 506.00/506.01 but that does not mean they are best. There are good reasons why that specification has been phased out -- that oil only works in a very low-soot environment.

I'm not sure why the OP wants to use a 0w30 -- there may be other and better oils in other viscosities, and they might cost less per liter as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back