Mobil 1 0w-30 Consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently ran Rx and have had zero consumption with S2000. I just changed the oil and sent it off to be sampled to be sure there is no antifreeze in it. I'm now running M1 0w-30 and at 500 miles I am already below the full line. I'm not too surprised, but did not think at 500 miles I'd be seeing this. I think I might run Delvac or 0w-40 next. I'm not about to check my oil every 3 days. I noticed Mobil's website refers to Delvac 1 as the "stay in grade" oil. Nice, but what about the rest.....

If there is one thing I wish Mobil did, it would be to formulate more on the upper end of the 30wt scale. I know they shoot for mpg, but I think consumption issues could be solved if they did this.

I asked Amsoil and Mobil about the thinning and thichening of oils and there responses were similar. Amsoil said that the managers at Oil Analyzers Inc. said going up or down by one weight is permissible. Mobil said all multi visc. oils will tend to do this but you don't want an oil to thin out to much. Does Mobil realize there oils thin out the most?
smile.gif

[ March 04, 2003, 09:02 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
I recently ran Rx and have had zero consumption with S2000. I just changed the oil and sent it off to be sampled to be sure there is no antifreeze in it. I'm now running M1 0w-30 and at 500 miles I am already below the full line. I'm not too surprised, but did not think at 500 miles I'd be seeing this. I think I might run Delvac or 0w-40 next. I'm not about to check my oil every 3 days. I noticed Mobil's website refers to Delvac 1 as the "stay in grade" oil. Nice, but what about the rest.....

If there is one thing I wish Mobil did, it would be to formulate more on the upper end of the 30wt scale. I know they shoot for mpg, but I think consumption issues could be solved if they did this.

I asked Amsoil and Mobil about the thinning and thichening of oils and there responses were similar. Amsoil said that the managers at Oil Analyzers Inc. said going up or down by one weight is permissible. Mobil said all multi visc. oils will tend to do this but you don't want an oil to thin out to much. Does Mobil realize there oils thin out the most?
smile.gif

Buster, if I recall you had excellent results with the S2000 before. The only issue I remember you mentioning was oil consumption, and this was stopped after the auto rx. Since you're already a preferred customer and the S2000 worked so well for you in the past , how much better do you expect the results to be by chasing down various Mobil 1/Delvac 1 choices?

I'm not concerned about getting better results, as S2000 is a great oil and does very well. I'm just using M1 for convienence reasons. I can find Mobil 1 anywhere. I'm thinking the 0w-40 will be my best bet at Autozone.
smile.gif

Why not go with the 10W-30. In 3 cars with 4 analysis, I have had no thinning. Results were 10.8, 10.3, 11.4 (8300 miles) and 9.8. I'm in Pa. so you could surely run the 10W stuff. As an alternate use a quart of the 15W-50 or maybe 25%. I do that with one vehicle which uses some oil. It cut back the use by almost 50% over the 10W-30 Mobil 1. The viscosity at about a 25% on this vehicle yielded 11.25 at one year and 5,170 miles. Just a thought.
smile.gif

I agree with you than some engines seem to consume M1 0w-30. Mine is one of them. But you make assumptions based on this without any evidence to back them up.

First, my car consumed M1 0w-30 at three times the rate of 5w-20. Also M1 0w-30 is Mobil's thickest 30-weight. So I don't think viscosity has anything to do with the consumption.

Finally, according to an SAE paper published by Mobil, 0w-30 is their most shear-stable 30-weight. It does not thin, and my oil analysis results and those of others bear this out.

I believe that the esters that Mobil 1 uses to extend 0w-30's low temp performance are very volatile and burn off. I also think that Amsoil's 0w-30 is a much better choice if you have an engine that burns M1 0w-30.

Al's suggestion would work if you decide to stick with Mobil 1, but I think you should also consider going back to Amsoil if you had previous good luck with it. Just go with 5w30 or 10w30 this time instead of 0w30 and you will probably see less consumption.

I guess I'm lucky. I live in Florida and have been running M1 0-30 for 95,000 miles (oil changes every 5,000) and do not leak or burn any at all.

quote:

I believe that the esters that Mobil 1 uses to extend 0w-30's low temp performance are very volatile and burn off. I also think that Amsoil's 0w-30 is a much better choice if you have an engine that burns M1 0w-30.

I agree with you, but what about 0w-40? If it thins out, it would be a nice, heavier 30wt. oil.
smile.gif

Mobil 1 5w30 hasn't thinned on me in 4000 miles. I think you need to look at percentage thinning rather than absolute CST number to see how well it holds up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back