Mobil 1 0w-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mobil will be introducing a 0w-20 oil, marketed for Fords and Hondas. I guess they decided to get in on it. I know a few people, one being my wife, who owns a car that calls for a 5w-20. I put M1 5w-30 in her car. A friend of mine a while back called them and they said they have no plans on bring out this weight...little did he know. Even Mustangs call for a 5w-20. They better be sure this oil holds up, or many people will be stuck with premature engine wear. I've read the posts on the 5w, but 0w is new.

[ December 05, 2002, 08:07 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Buster, you might want to do a search on this site for "5W20." A lot of us are skeptical about these ultra, ultra light oils but initial testing appears pretty good.

The first Mobil 1 was a 5W20, by the way.
smile.gif

--- Bror Jace

My next car maybe a Honda, but I wouldn't use 5w-20 in it.

I'd try Delvac 1 and see if I can get 300k plus miles from the engine.

If it's a Honda, check the Japanese owners manual for same model engine and it'll recommend 5 or 10W30 or heavier. It'll still reference API but at different weights. I have to assume CAFE is responsible.

It may turn out oil companies can develop effective 5W20's, but I'm not making my vehicles part of their testing program. I'll wait through a couple years of formulation changes & results, and then consider it for new vehicles. Guess that means I should be encouraging you to jump, no?
grin.gif

David

5w-20's have been out for quite some time, but not 0w-20. This is a first I believe.

I think we'll all be pleasantly surprised with how this oil holds up. A lot of people seem to think that thick is the way to go in order to get long engine life, but there is more to an oil than just that.

True, I find it hard to believe auto engineers would recommend an oil that doesnt hold up. It will be fine I'm sure. Like SS, which everyone knocked, it turned out to be great.

[ November 28, 2002, 07:24 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Several weeks ago I was in a local Honda dealership and spotted behind the parts counter a case of Honda-labeled 0W-20 oil. I had to rub my eyes to make sure I wasn't halucinating.
gr_eek2.gif

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
5w-20's have been out for quite some time, but not 0w-20. This is a first I believe.

Torco and Synergyn offer 0w-20 oils with all group IV and V basestocks. TooSlick and I are splitting a case of Synergyn 0w-20 and we both intend to do analysis on this oil. I look forward to trying the Mobil 1 0w-20 also. I understand that it has Ford and Honda approval so it has to pass a tough double-length sequence IIIF test. It should be good oil.

Cool, thanks. I wasn't aware of this weight being already available in a 0w. Then again, I'm not aware of 90% of what everyone knows about oil on this site. It's all new to me.

Bror: The Insight engine runs part time so an ultra low viscosity oil makes sense in a drive train that does not. The engine runs part time so it does not reach full operating temps. Engine tends to run rich due to low temps so this should yeild reduced engine life and higher overall emissions. This is my suspicion for the 'hybrid' cars. I would like to see some real emissions data on these engines....OK Monarch, you can rant on me about your 200k mi Prius......
rolleyes.gif

Jay,

Thanks for reminding me ....

The case of Synergyn 0w-20 came in on Wednesday. I've been busy with the holidays but will get those 6 quarts to you ASAP. I don't know what's in this stuff, but it smells like no other synthetic I've ever tested. It actually reminds me of the AutoRX, so I suspect it has a high ester content. Viscosity @ 100C is 8.8 Cst, so I'd expect the HT/HS viscosity to come in @ approx 2.9 Cp, which meets the minimum spec for a 10w-30.

FWIW, I expect the standard for US and Japanese cars to change from 5w-30 to 5w-20 within the next 5-7 years - perhaps when the GF-4 spec appears. GM has pubished several SAE technical papers that discuss the use of 0w-20 and 5w-20 grades, and Honda/Acura and Mazda are already using 5w-20 in a number of their engines. Ford has gone to 5w-20 in almost all their engines with the exception of the 4.0L and some of the 3.8L models ....

TooSlick

Forgive me if this has been posted before but what cars are you two guys going to be running this 0w20 oil in? I'm VERY interested in seeing your results! What oils are you running now to compare this to?

Patman,

Jay is running it in a newer Honda/Acura that calls for 5w-20 .... I am running it in a 1995 Tacoma pickup, with the 2.4L, 16 valve engine that calls for 5w-30. I have an excellent database on this engine running 0w-30 and 5w-30 synthetics, and am currently running the Amsoil 5w-20 synthetic in there - their older SJ formulation. I plan on running the synergyn 0w-20 for about 12,000 miles - I'll probably do a filter change after 6000 miles as it will take me a full year to do the 12k. I'll be using an Amsoil SDF-96 filter and toyota air filter ....

The Amsoil 5w-20 seems to be doing just fine ...I've gone about 3500 miles and there has been no oil consumption - I've picked up about 1 mpg over the 5w-30 "ASL" I just ran. This 5w-20 is really not much thinner than the Mobil 1, 0w-30 in terms of high temp/high shear viscosity, so the 5w-20 vs 5w-30 issue isn't the big deal some folks make it out to be ....

Ted

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
This 5w-20 is really not much thinner than the Mobil 1, 0w-30 in terms of high temp/high shear viscosity, so the 5w-20 vs 5w-30 issue isn't the big deal some folks make it out to be ....

I agree totally! I was one of the biggest doubters of 5w20 when it first came out, but after seeing the oil analysis results, I realized that it's doing it's job very well.

I do believe we'll see the oil industry trending towards these thinner oils in the future as well.

The industry is definitely going in that direction, and if Al Gore ever becomes president (I hope Not) we will see it go even farther! But what I was refering to was not 5w-20, but a 0w-20 from Mobil 1. This trend is here to stay, atleast in the US. Efficiency is what it is all about and as long as MPG and global warming are mainstream issues, theres no stopping it. The EPA puts allot of pressure on the auto industry which then forwards that pressure to the oil companies which have to develop new weight and viscosity oils. 15yrs from now, cars will be hydrogen fuel cell equiped.

[ November 29, 2002, 12:00 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

quote:

The engine runs part time so it does not reach full operating temps.

you would think the computer would be smart enough to keep it hovering around operating temperature, eh? so you're saying this is not the issue?

Patman, the baseline oil that I'll be doing comparisons with will be the M1 5w-30 SS that I'm running now. It will be some time before I try the Synergyn.

Greg, the Insight engine runs full time except that it doesn't idle. It shuts off instead of idling. Think of the engine as electrically supercharged. It has an electric motor mounted coaxially to the crankshaft that gives the engine another 10 hp or so if needed.

[ November 29, 2002, 04:14 PM: Message edited by: Jay ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back